Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • racist charging must be illegal?
  • totalshell

so how do Scottish universities get away with charging english welsh and Northern irish students yets its free for any one else from the euro zone its free also if you live in NI but have an Irish passport.
    it cant be sustainable in court can it?

higgo
    Free Member

2/10

binners

Look at his big fat head. Look into his big grinning mug. He’s mocking you! That’s what he’s doing!! Laughing in your face. He’s going to turn around and wave his arse at you next. He will! You mark my words

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Everyone knows that we have to subsidise the Scots every which way we can.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s fine, they just get another interest free credit card every year……..

Dobbo

😆 @ Binners…..and that pic.

piha
    Free Member

If you have the right kind of mates you can do whatever you want!

transapp
    Free Member

I thought this had been contested in court and found OK?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

If Scotland gets its independence, then English, Welsh and NI students will be free too.

donald
    Free Member

If Scotland gets its independence, then English, Welsh and NI students will be free too.

Well we shan’t be voting for that then 🙂

loum
    Free Member

so how do Scottish all British universities get away with charging english welsh and Northern irish students

If the Scottish government can find the money to subsidise some students then fair play to them. Its their choice where to spend their money.

We could (in England) follow their example but choose other economic options and charge the students. Still, there’s enough support for the great Condem alliance and their economic policies that they must be doing something right for their many friends.

mrdestructo

Still, there’s enough support for the great Condem alliance and their economic policies that they must be doing something right for their many friends.

A big list of “why do people voted the conservatives” ought to be written up, but I’m sure prominent in it is, “because the alternate vote is for them bloody commies!” and, “they’ll open up the floodgates to immigrants/muslims.”

Of course, near the top will be, “experience being government.”

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Incumbents with pretty smiles in suits get more votes.

EDIT: Education ought to be free. Some might say HE is optional, but with 41% of the yoof going through, and teachers from secondary school upwards drilling it into kids heads that HE is pretty much compulsory to having a decent life, the argument to extend free education over into HE holds some weight.

Besides, do you want to see your kids getting a practical “mortgage” at 19 years old, £42-44,000 of debt that may be £70-74,000 pay back with the obscene interest from day one? And the government sets a curriculum based on a future workforce, so you could say HE is designed for the economy, again it’s not a fancy life option.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Racist?

Or based on where you live, regardless of your race?

konabunny
    Free Member

so how do Scottish universities get away with charging english welsh and Northern irish students yets its free for any one else from the euro zone its free also if you live in NI but have an Irish passport.

False premise.

hels
    Free Member

I’m confused – why would I want a free student ?? To come around to my house take all the drugs, slag my music collection and empty my fridge ??

duckman

Totalshell,every time you start one of these threads, you actually win Uncle Eck more votes. Carry on.

totalshell

i’d vote for him..

druidh
    Free Member

Move to Gordon and you can.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

But do they know that Westminster provides the Scottish government with a block grant to pay for the education policy?

maccruiskeen

Racist?

Or based on where you live, regardless of your race?

Its a new hate crime of postcode-ism

“I’m not a postcode-ist but… I bloody hate people who live in WA11”

maccruiskeen

The Southern Yeti – Member

Did you also know that residents in that their London, where that their Westminster is, are more heavily subsidised than those there Scots. Public spend on average per head year in England is £8k-ish, in Scotland its 9k-ish, but in London its £10k-sh. So if the Londoners are getting that much subsidy that means the rest of England is on average getting less that £8k. There are 2.5m more Cockneys than Scots so thats a lot of extra drain on the tax payer.

chewkw
    Free Member

All medical, science and engineering degrees should be free or fully subsidised by the govt.

All art & humanities … charge them as much as possible or put them to hard labour …

🙄

p/s: put them Scots to hard labour if they cannot produce decent haggies … I love haggies me.

br
    Free Member

Simple; under EU law you can’t discriminate against other countries but you can discriminate within a country – and the UK is the country.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I want to vote for chewkw

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    All art & humanities … charge them as much as possible or put them to hard labour …

Does that make you some kind of (insert as appropriate) artist? 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Does that make you some kind of (insert as appropriate) artist?

I wish they appoint me as the judge for Turner Prize but then I bet you know the outcome if I am the judge … off with your head!

Northwind

totalshell – Member

Entirely backwards- we’re forced to give funding to EU students, it’s not through choice (and costs us a fortune). The preferred option would be to charge for everyone but home students.

You also need to understand the difference between “free education” and “education that the student doesn’t pay for”- we do charge Scottish students, but the Scottish Government picks up the tab instead of the student. Not free.

Also, there’s no such thing as an English citizen- within the UK this is about residence not nationality/place of birth. So there’s no “discrimination” for where you were born, but for where you choose to live- if you were born in England then move to Scotland in time, for reasons other than education, then you get funded. So, any allegation of racism is obviously just silly.

The NI + Irish passport mess is still being worked on, there might be legal challenges but it does seem like the legislation’s borked. Watch this space, Universities Scotland are figuring out how many lawyers they can afford.

Where it gets a lot more complicated is when it comes to offers. There are only so many SAAS-funded places), which means that Scottish and EU students are all competing for a reduced number of course places. Whereas fully funded students from elsewhere don’t have that restriction. So, it’s perfectly possible that we’ll see situations where NI students play the passport game and end up not getting the place they wanted.

On the other hand- it looks like my lot are going to honour places offered to NI students as RUK, self-funded applicants, even if they switch to being EU, SAAS funded applicants. Which is good for the student, but will probably leave us oversubscribed and having entirely unfunded students at the uni, as SAAS may not pay out for every place but we can’t ask the students to pay either.

Which is ******.

GrahamS

if you were born in England then move to Scotland in time, for reasons other than education, then you get funded.

How long before uni do you have to move back?

Just wondering when I should orchestrate our move back. (mrs and me both Scottish by birth, little un English – but she is only 2 so we have time to re-nationalise her yet!)

Northwind

You’d do better to check with SAAS direct- we’ve had conflicting information from them. One answer is 3 years before the start date of the particular course. The other answer is that you have to be resident in the UK for the 3 years before the start date of the course, and ordinarily resident in Scotland before the start of the course- but the defintiion of “ordinarily resident” is wooly. I don’t know which answer is correct- it might be that they both are.

TBH I bet you an entire scottish pound that the current funding system doesn’t last til the end of the decare, so a bit early to make plans!

richmtb

From one of the other 19 threads on this today.

Can someone please explain why Cameron and Nick the Shit massively hiking tuition fees for everyone in England is the fault of the Scottish government?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can someone please explain why Cameron and Nick the Shit massively hiking tuition fees for everyone in England is the fault of the Scottish government?

You’re nitpicking. It might not be their fault but that’s no reason not to blame them.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘racist charging must be illegal?’ is closed to new replies.