Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Racers. Die trying or saftey first.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Went for the die trying approach tonight and I died! Came close to last, but feel a bigger man for it.
    Sometimes you have to leave the safety of the bunch, guess tonight wasn't my time.
    Anyone make a career out of playing safe.

richcc
    Free Member

The Green Cross code man? Tufty?

Btw – WTF are you talking about? I'm imagining a ride out, followed by a pint drunk to fast – am I right?

colnagokid

Im never going to win a bunch sprint so favour the stupid attack method. Its never worked! 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep went for the stupid attack, I was the man for 2.5 seconds.
    Racing richcc racing.

aP
    Free Member

Kamikaze!
    Good on you. Recovered yet?

ac282

no point waiting to be outsprinted…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I've never really raced on the road, but I've marsalled quite a lot. Roughly 90% of people who start would be absolutely gob-smacked if they won wouldn't they? They'd not know what hit them. With that in mind, I always love seeing a totally futile attack going mental off the front for a few seconds. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Shall I try the oldgit approach at Smithfield Nocturne? Gulp.

tinsy
    Free Member

I got a pal launches off the start every single week at Beastway cos he has a £1 bet with another bloke he can get the holeshot. Not the best way to start a MTB race for a midpack rider, but its fun watching him go for it. 🙂

ps good on you for giving it a try, maybe it will become addictive?

clubber
    Free Member

I always liked to mix it up for the road races I did – waiting for the sprint sometimes (I could usually get a 2nd/3rd/4th place though never a win) or going for it a few laps from the end in an attempt to TT it for the win (again, this never actually worked though I did come close a few times).

I can't say I've ever tried the proper suicide attack early in the race unless there was an obviously strong break to go with.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep fully recovered. It's a tough one because if you stay safe in the bunch your hardly working at all throughout the race. That's a few times now I've stuck my neck out and died. The transition from bunch to break is biblical.
    Problem with last night is when I failed it was the time the bunch was winding up for the finish.
    I was reminded of the scene in Apocalypse Now, when the guy leaves the boat and gets attacked by the Tiger….never leave the boat never leave the boat never leave the boat, evcept it was never leave the bunch.

Bream
    Free Member

I seem to have a different problem, head says yes, legs say no 😕

Attacked down a long descent last night, broke away, heart rate held 190bpm, then legs just packed up, lost every ounce of power, the pack then flies past with me struggling to even turn a gear. Took about 3 mins before I was back up to speed 🙁

Strange how you can feel so good one minute and then all of a sudden lose everything in your legs.

Simple answer I guess, more training required 😆

Joxster
    Free Member

Death or Glory. It's the only way to go.

oldgit
    Free Member

See it's not me old legs, no. What appens is when I attack it suddenly gets very windy 😳

keavo
    Free Member

did both really, got my best results and a few wins in bunch sprints and last mile/km solo attacks. that tactic only worked in lower quality events though. got in a few race winning breaks but have to concede that i wasn't good enough and generally got dropped and often failed to finish in the bunch after that. i could count in single figures the races i finished off the front in a break, out of maybe 200 starts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Death or glory!

As my thermodynamics lecturer once said;

<realy heavy russian accent>
    "Nobody wants to be a looser, are you a looser?"
    </realy heavy russian accent>

I always prefered making people suffer on a climb then not letting up at the top, unfortunately a FUBAR'd knee means ambling allong on flat pedals is about the limit of my ability now.

Olly
    Free Member

BANZAI!!!!!!

crazy-legs

I was working at a Premier Calendar road race a few weeks ago, driving the broom wagon, we picked up a rider who a few minutes before had been off the front in a big attack. He was quite philosophical about it – either you make the moves or you're just an also-ran so he tried to make one of the moves. It failed and he went out the back but at least he'd tried!

It can work – I've had decent finishes in road races as a result of daft looking attacks. I'm no sprinter, the only way I can come close to winning is from a long attack.

Joxster
    Free Member

You generally get an idea of which tactic will work, depending on the course. If it's a pan flat course then you'll have to make the break or go with a break and hope you're the best sprinter in the group. If it's a hilly, twisty course then a lone break away may work. I've won my fair share of races from either tactics, if you race in Belgium then it's attack, attack, attack.

molgrips
    Free Member

I fancy road racing, but have no idea where or when the run them or what the deal is in general.

BigDummy
    Free Member

aP – Member
    Shall I try the oldgit approach at Smithfield Nocturne? Gulp.

If you do, I undertake to cheer. What colours? 😀

crazy-legs

I fancy road racing, but have no idea where or when the run them or what the deal is in general.

Molgrips, have a look here:
    http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/road

There's tabs down the left about getting into it, a Road events calendar etc. It's a redesigned site, British Cycling have only just launched it and there's a few minor glitches but it should be fairly self explanatory. You don't need a licence or anything at first either, don't let the rules and regs scare you!

Best bet is to find a local roadie club who race, they'll be happy to show you the ropes. Loads of midweek circuit races on at the moment as well, now is the season for it. Whereabouts are you based? Tell me and I'll tell you where the races are! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Aldershot in the week, Cardiff weekends.

I fancy myself as a sprinter, so a sprint finish would be pretty cool 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

I know it's not a true indication and it's completely different to racing but what's your 10mile TT time oldgit?

This is the only thing i have to gauge and i'd love to enter a race next year

aP
    Free Member

BigDummy – I shall be endeavouring to borrow a TCC jersey for Saturday. I will only be making a 6 lap appearance before expiring in a quiet corner.
    I shall be making my grand entry at 17.30, exit about 15 minutes or so later…

oldgit
    Free Member

trickydisco
    I've not done a TT since the 70/80s and I wasn't fast, only went under the hour 2 up.
    Last night was a Crit, 1 hour plus 5 laps long, flat and windy, three single file corners per lap. Average speed +/-29MPH. Looking at my computer during the race 24MPH slowest 36MPH fastest.
    I'm 50 and that's in the LVRC racess. I've only done one 4th Cat ride recently and that was far slower. LVRC starts at 40 years old but doesn't take licence Catagory into account or previous history.
    If I race in 2011 I'll be going back to BC racing.
    Plus I don't ride much. One race per week, one midweek session and a Sunday session, but obviously you have to work hard during those rides.
    That puts me midfield in road races, top tenish in XC Vets or top five in Grand vets, top third in cyclocross.
    My mates doing better using the Carmichael time crunched plan.
    Have been racing on and off since the early seventies though.
    Hope that helps

oldgit
    Free Member

I was told recently by a guy that went to recent lecture on science in our sport, that a fit rider if correctly placed could survive in a pro peleton. I believe he was actually refering to the TDF, and it was based on the recordings of riders outputs/watts.

crazy-legs

I was told recently by a guy that went to recent lecture on science in our sport, that a fit rider if correctly placed could survive in a pro peleton. I believe he was actually refering to the TDF, and it was based on the recordings of riders outputs/watts.

No chance. Not a hope in hell. Most UK Elites would struggle to survive for more than half of it, as to an amateur rider they wouldn't even get out of the neutralised section, no matter how fit. Fitness has very little to do with it, it's bike handling in a tightly packed peloton at (very) high speed that matters more.

Molgrips: if you're in Aldershot mid week, check out Hillingdon Cycle Circuit in West London: http://www.hillingdoncyclecircuit.org.uk/

trail_rat
    Free Member

Go down fighting was my motto in short course xc….. Go out hard , ride hard finish hard …… worked well Then and works well in 10tts

Bit more conservative in distance stuff though – not done enough speedwork in last 2 years to cane it over distance !

oldgit
    Free Member

OK just what was said at the science museum a few weeks back. I can't remember who said it, but Simon thingybob from Sigma Sport seemed to back it up.
    I assume if using a watt meter some of the guys in the peloton i.e not climbing/sprinting/chasing etc were only knocking out small numbers.
    But don't ask me I didn't cook it?

aP
    Free Member

Bigdummy – let me know a way to contact you so's we can meet up on Saturday, even though you are south of the river and KW :p

samuri
    Free Member

James, Looking at the road races in the North West (closed circuits are all I can find), I need a race license to enter any of them, is that correct?
    Also, since I'm just doing it for a laugh, which criteria should I be looking for? I presume cat 4? And should ignore any that don't have this?

Ta.

oldgit
    Free Member

You will automatically be a 4th Cat.
    If you're old enough you could look at TLI or LVRC races, I think TLI is stronger in the North West. Both are cheaper than racing BC events. The only downside is that most of their events are closed circuit which can get boring week in week out. Hence I'll be racing BC next year.

molgrips
    Free Member

XC racing is simply going flat out all the time. No tactics really. Sprint off the line and keep the hammers down til you finish or die.

molgrips
    Free Member

Looked at that Hillingdon site. It's not clear, but it seems to be a Crit type race, is that correct?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep Hillingdon is a Crit (i'm sure?)
    I'm finding that XC and CX are getting more tactical nowadays, well in that little groups now form.

aP
    Free Member

No, Hillingdon is not crit racing, it is closed circuit racing – the circuit is approximately 1km long and has no sharp corners.
    I think that you can buy day licenses for the Tuesday night series, or otherwise go up on Thursday night for group training.

oldgit
    Free Member

Soreeeeee 😳
    Yes closed circuit, still calling them crits though 😀

daiboy
    Free Member

Oldgit, Was it Simon Richardson of Sigma? I think you have a point re. a fit person surviving in a pro peloton. You only have to see the standard of the guys at the back of the Tour Series races (ie. those that are merely surviving rather than competing) to know that it might be possible.
    Not so sure about surviving at Tour level though. From reading about the experiences of some our domestic teams competing abroad in 2.2 races it seems a big step up from British racing.

I hear you on the transition from bunch to break being massive. My first ever crit at Castle Coombe was a sharp learning curve. My ten second mini break where for a moment I felt king of the world riding along to the Chariots of Fire music soon saw me swallowed up with my arms and legs feeling like lead. Honestly I was so dead for the next few minutes that when I tried to get out of the saddle to pedal I nearly fell over the bars.

Never fails to amaze me how 98% of the peloton refuse to do any work or even entertain the thought of a breakaway in a Cat 4 race despite the fact that only a handful are good enough to contest the sprint.

oldgit
    Free Member

Indeed.
    What I need to know is where I will fit in starting with a new licence. I'll be 51 does it mean I'll be racing guys in their teens, twenties and thirties?
    Edit, yep Simon Richardson and Prof Louis Passfield?
    Edit edit. I don't know if there are transcripts of his lectures on the net, I've not checked.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Racers. Die trying or saftey first.’ is closed to new replies.