Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Race winners taking their bike on the podium.
  • I’m surprised this hasn’t caught on.
    I only saw one other Lefty at Erlestoke 12 last weekend.
    I then saw it later as the solo winner took it to the podium with him. That’ll explain why I couldn’t keep up after he overtook me. 😕

I’m interested to know what the fast riders are riding at events, but with so many bikes on the course, solos and teams, it’s hard to match the bikes and riders I see overtaking me with the riders on the podium.

I think it would be cool if the top riders gave their sponsors some publicity and let the rest of us know what they’re riding.
    The only down side I can see is that there’s inevitably a bit of a crowd round the prize giving and it would be hard for the winners to push their way through with a bike. Maybe keep a winners holding area clear to one side ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m not.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m normally happy to walk away from my bike and leave it covered in crap while I go and collect my prizes 😉

hora
    Free Member

If I entered a race around Afan I’d take my bike, car keys, car and wallet onto the podium.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You mean like the way F1 drivers take their cars onto the podium etc? Oh no, they don’t do that do they? But you know who they race for/what car they drive as they’ve got their sponsors logos plastered all over them.

Same (I suspect) for most winners of bike races.

njee20
    Free Member

I think it’s a valid point (I’d not go as far as saying I’m surprised it’s not happened), but the F1 analogy’s a bit crap.

The only bike company logo on my kit is Specialized, I don’t ride a Spesh. Even if I did would folk like Graham not be interested in whether it’s a hardtail/FS/29″/26″/SS?

hels
    Free Member

Where else does he take it ? Would make for an interesting and time-consuming trip to the portaloos.

It’s not unheard of for an unsponsored rider to get on the podium. 😉

Unlike F1, there’s no commentary as such at most marathons and no bike details in the entry list or results.
    As njee says, wouldn’t it be interesting to see that all the top three riders were on 29ers, full sussers or whatever.

Clover

The cars were lined up in podium order on the track just below the podium at the Monaco Grand Prix.

jimification
    Free Member

Actually you did see another lefty at Erlstoke…it was mine and it came past you in the singletrack after I said hello (you did good there btw, nice going!). Sadly, you did not subsequently see that particular lefty (or its rider) on the podium afterwards.

wwaswas

I heard they were going to get jockeys to carry their horses onto the podium at the end of the Grand National.

redders
    Free Member

Was Red Ken at the Erlestoke 12? Was he riding a Boris bike?

xiphon
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a monkeys what bike/gear/kit the winner was riding.

Makes no difference to me…

andypaul99
    Free Member

i think the most frequent visitor to the poduims would have to be anthem x’s from what i have seen in most enduros

singletrackmind

I think Team TorQ take their Carbon Kona HT’s with them to the podium presentation.

Fine by me .- As we know , Its all about the bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Race winners taking their bike on the podium.’ is closed to new replies.