Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Qestion for home brew light gurus
  • MSP

I have a petzl myo xp, I bought it for trail running, but barely used it because I can’t stand the battery pack on the back of my head. I want to move the battery pack from the headband to a pocket.

I have opened up the led part, and while it looks possible to solder a new cable in, it will be fiddly and I don’t do much soldering. So I think the best way would be to use some sort of waterproof connectors to add an extension cable in. It would also be especially nice if I could replace the battery pack with a rechargeable li-ion pack (currently takes 3 aa).

So what parts do I need, and where can I buy them?

Luminous
    Free Member

MSP.

Some pics of the light might help explain what you are trying to do.

I’ll assume that there is a cable running from the light unit to the battery box, containing your 3 AAAs. That being the case, you could simply interrupt that cable, add in a length of additional cable and keep your battery box in your pocket / back pack, etc. ?.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

The cable entry point on the Myo XP is a weak point and fails there often. Apparently you can take them back for a replacment from Petzl but I couldn’t be bothered and took it apart to solder the cable on myself. Remove the PCB board and solder the cable on, that’s the easy bit. If I remember rightly you have to slide the cable through the housing before soldering it. Fitting it back together is slightly more fiddly. There is some heat sink compound that you will need to replace/re-use when you put it back together.

I would personally replace the cable with a new one and suitable connector that could be kept dry in a pocket or bag. Any battery pack with should be alright as long as the voltage is 3 x 1.2V ie 3.6V, although the lights blinking to tell you how much battery life you have left probably won’t work as the discharge profile of the Li-Ion batteries will be different.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trout
    Free Member

does it work from non rechargeable AAs if so the that would be 4.5 v so a single Li ion or 2 in parallel would be a good choice

Smudge can do those for you easy and by the sound of it the cable is doable but a fiddle .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Qestion for home brew light gurus’ is closed to new replies.