Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pyrenees
  • inhaler23
    Free Member

Wondering if anyone could help?

I am heading to France this summer on a family holiday and the Mrs has been kind enough to let me factor in a couple of days in the Pyrenees before driving onto Coastal Bordeaux, I was thinking maybe the Midi or Hautes Pyrenees, Never been before, can anyone recommend any good spots?

Any good French Pyrenees MTB guide books available?

Cheers!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Sod the mountain bike, get the road bike out and nail a few big climbs.

inhaler23
    Free Member

I look rubbish in full body Lycra Steve.

asterix
    Free Member

Barreges, Ardiden Velo

Northwind

We spent a week around Luchon with A Quick Release, really excellent. TBH I have no idea how much of that could have been done without a guide though, some was marked VTT trails.

ianv
    Free Member

St Lary is good, Cauterets is ok but not as good as St Lary. Luchon off piste is apparently pretty good but the marked trails are rubbish.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Can also recommend AQR.
    Had a great day out guided by Ian, which also turned into a coaching session. Which was kind.
    Also their hire bikes are all Cotic Rockets, which aren’t bad either, and would save having the bike with you for the rest of your trip.

We did a similar trip in September, Plymouth>Santander>Pyrenees>Bordeaux etc. was great.

NickScots
    Free Member

Ax-Les-Thermes

This resort is well east so avoids the worse weather in the western side of the Pyrenees and it’s near Andorra.

You have thermal spas – free to access- a swimming pool, lovely town centre, 5mins ride from the Municipal site to the cable car up Ax-Bonascre. This has lovely natural trails littered all over the mountain and has excellent Liasons back down to the Town, for the end of the day.

We have been twice and in July it’s quiet, unless it’s a day or two before the TDF -which often finishes there.

There is topos for XC routes around the valley too.

You can take kids up the side valleys or up toward Andorra for amazing lakes etc.

Outside Ski Resorts, we have found the VTOPOS very good. They have graded routes, all with 1-25k maps and good descriptions. You can also download the routes as GPS tracks for a few euros more. They have longer routes or shorter routes. We have used them in Grenoble, Alpes Maritimes and Provence areas and every route has been worth repeating.

http://librairie.vtopo.fr/

inhaler23
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. Few things to look at there.

vondally
    Free Member

luchon went alone first time so some days guided by AQR very good
    then been with family last two times just with maps

highly recommended area

Ax le thermes or Foix again very good

timb34
    Free Member

Map of FFC VTT sites here: http://ffc.fr/a_VTT/a_SitesVTT/index.asp

Generally these sites have a few marked trails, mostly very XC, but can be quite variable in the grading (and signposting – take a map!). Best regarded as an introduction to where you can go on a bike, rather than an exhaustive list.

slowoldgit
    Free Member
    ianv
    Free Member

Ax les thermes and Prades are a long drive from the western coast. The nearest bike park to Bordeaux is Artoust.

http://www.26in.fr/bike-parks/artouste/

inhaler23
    Free Member

Right! Change of destination. Decided upon Pyrenees Orientales now, booked to stay in Ceret(first 2 weeks in August), which is a 90 min drive from mountains. I’m basically leaving the Mrs and Kids to have a night camping and 2 days riding. God bless her. Pay off is i have to put up with the sister in law…

Anyone got any good tips on where exactly to head? Any good sources for decent guide books or maps?

Thanks,

Andy

NickScots
    Free Member

I would say it’s a lot closer then 90 Minutes !

Do you want XC or Lift Assisted ?

vondally
    Free Member

prades/mt canigou area, google VTT prades and some great trails, we nisited ceret and i would think good trails.

NickScots
    Free Member

This site has lots of overlays and maps, for free.

VTOPO do very good routes, with IGN 1’25k maps, so easy to follow.

http://www.vttrack.fr/

ianv
    Free Member

Ffc centre at Arles sur tech, not far away. Nearest bike park is les angles, approx 1.30 in the capacir. Good riding around ile sur tet, not far away.

Brycey
    Free Member

Ridden in Les Angels and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very laid back and un-Alpine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees’ is closed to new replies.