Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Putoline chain wax – report
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have been using Putoline chain wax on the solos and tandem since christmas. This is a solid graphited wax that you heat on the stove

So far it appears to be by far the best lube I have used. It is lasting hundreds of miles even used in wet and muddy conditions ( although I have not ridden a huge amount in mud recently)

It is a faff to apply – but to some extent that is compensated for by the fact you don’t have to clean the chain – just dump it into the can of molten wax.

Measuring the chains they don’t appear to be wearing any quicker than using conventional lube. The wax does not get stripped out by peaty / muddy stuff unlike liquid lubes, dirt does not get stuck to it as it is not sticky on the surface in the same way. each application lasts maybe 3 x as long as conventional lubes. It is under £20 a kilo.

Disadvantages – the lube itself is really manky – and does not wash off hands or clothes easily

I have previously used finishline green and purple extreme.

Needs to be used thru the winter to be sure of the advantages but so far I am convinced

brant
    Free Member

Measuring the chains they don’t appear to be wearing any quicker than using conventional lube.

So the chains are wearing as badly as when lubricated by a simpler, cleaner method?

As an aside, the Scotoiler info I’ve seen suggests that in most conditions WATER is as good a lubricant as anything.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think slower wear brant – but haven’t been enough of an anorack to log mileage so I can’t be sure – the advantage is lubing the chains ever couple of months rather than every ride and well lubed chains all the time = precise shifting as well as far far cheaper

brant
    Free Member

My dad once tried this method for applying wax to picture frames.
    The sight of the flames in the kitchen (when my mum was out) still stay with me.
    Amazed you’ve not made mention of the quite remarkable risk of flammability/faff/”what you doing with that in my kitchen” problem.
    But perhaps you use your camping stove.

And as for logging mileage – amateur – I’m slightly dissapointed 🙁

Megamilematt2.4 would have it down to the 10th of a mile.

FWIW I’m using this – http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html – that Olly at Blazing Saddles sold me. I’m very pleased with it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well its my kitchen 🙂 I wa of course assuming sensible mature adults would be using it and not leaving the tub on the stove whilst they went to the pub

druidh
    Free Member

“sensible mature adults”.

On STW?

Onzadog
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Well its my kitchen I wa of course assuming sensible mature adults would be using it and not leaving the tub on the stove whilst they went to the pub

see your mistake? You say that; then go and post on here!

Onzadog
    Free Member

was I really that slow 😯

druidh
    Free Member

That’s what the Edit button is for….

Onzadog
    Free Member

I blame my connection speed and not my poor typing skills.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I set ’em up ……………………….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I meant to add – cassettes and chainrings remain much cleaner as well as there is no sticky lube deposited on them

smell_it
    Free Member

I’m glad it is working for you, but for me that that would be a ball ache of a way to solve some problems I’m not worried about (and by the sounds of it stop me going to the pub!!). I’m in no way loaded, but I find the cost of buying the odd bottle of lube nominal, I change my chains pretty regular anyway and my gears work well in almost all conditions as I set them up properly. I’m not sure I’ve even considered the issue ‘what lube is best’ I just tend to pick up whichever is in whatever bike shop I’m in and it has worked for me so far. But 8/ 10 for effort, if you had been recording the mileage you would have got a 10 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not that much of a ballache – and you need to do it much less often.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, one year on, is it still the lube of choice? How long between applications?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Absolutely still lube of choice. I guess chains are lasting 3 or 4 times as long – certainly I seem to have not replaced one for ages. applications – every hundred or two miles in winter, less often in summer. The commuter many hundreds of miles winter or summer.

I have used nothing but the putoline all this time – and still have most of the kilo tin left – so £18 worth of lube will last several years, chain life noticeably longer.

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers. Think I’ll give it a whirl.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

just a note that scienceofficer was not nearly so enamoured of it. The chains get dry on the outside but there is still wax in the bushings.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m using Squirt at the moment so no objections to a dry outer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Putoline chain wax – report’ is closed to new replies.