Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • purpose built 69ers vs 26ers with 29er forks
  • RichardArmstrong
    Free Member

Hi there i'm going to try the whole 69er concept.

I'm wondering if theres anyone out there thats riding standard 26er frames with 29er front forks / wheels. If so what combination are you using and how is it.

I'd prefer to have a proper 69er but i can only find 3 manufacturers Trek, Singular, and Carver.

I like the trek but the shop i want to deal with cant get them, and i'm not to keen on the look of the singular, i like the carver but i dont know if it'll be easy for the shop i'm dealing with to get one.

Does anyone know of any more 69er frame manufacturers ?

any thoughts ??

tonto
    Free Member

Ventana do one – full suss too.
    I used a rigid bontrager 26" fork with a 29" wheel, works fine.
    Also got a Carver for a bouncy front, like that too.
    Recently converted a maverick frame with some sc32 forks, also fine.

rents
    Free Member

I have a carver 96er with Mav sc32's and it rocks! Rode it at Sits this weekend and loved every lap. Such a good bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i tried 29er wheel on 26" fork on my inbred. the reason to buy a proper one: no one would make a bike that shit!

Andy-R

I'm using a 1995 Columbus Max framed Kona Explosif (converted to disc brakes and with an Excentriker BB) with Salsa Cromoto 425mm A/C forks and a 29" front wheel.
    As far as I'm concerned the 29" wheel is a great success – I love it and that's the way it will be staying.

Andy-R

1995 Explosif

bent_udder
    Free Member

Singular Cycles makes one – rigid forks as a 69er, suspension forks between 100 and 120mm for 26" front an rear. The rigid forks are a little tweaked to keep reasonable handling.

I have a Genesis Io with very similar geometry to the Hummingbird – half a degree on the head angle is the biggest difference. I bought a pair of Hummingbird forks, and it rides just fine – nice and quick handling with a 29" front wheel on.

The bonus in all this is that, if you don't get on with a 29" on the front, you can simply switch to 26" and a suspension fork, and it's a really nice hardtail. It also comes with an EBB, so runs singlespeed or geared.

Mail me (address in profile) if you want more information.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I'd like someone who knows what they are doing Cy, Singular Sam or Brant perhaps? to design a frame which would handle just like my Soul but with a 29" front wheel and suspension fork, then I'd get someone like Curtis to make it, in my head that's my dream bike right now.

No doubt its not that easy…..just in case my emails in my profile…..

Cheers, Dave

martinh
    Free Member
    Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I've just stuck a 29er front wheel on my inbred with 26" rigid in-one carbon forks. I like the way the bigger wheel rolls over roots, etc and the head angle/steering doesn't seem any different to running it with a 26" wheel and 130mm Revelations.

More about it here.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Carver 96er is the way forward. I have one you can try (Southampton) and a frame you can win at the Big Bike Bash

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I've gone from a Dialled Love/hate 69'd to a Karate Monkey and last weekend rode a Fisher Superfly for the day.

I loved the way that the Dialled was light enough, accelerated well but cornered fantastically on the big front wheel

The 'Monkey was heavy but is fun and rolled really well while being utterly predictable, but I run it with mahoooosive tyres

The Superfly was a bit small but super-fast and rode a lot like a veeeeerry short travel susser with that kind of "so good you don't notice it" feel. I'd love to try a well specced Hummingbird, as on paper it would be the ideal mix of all three.

Personally I love the look of the Singular, but it's looking like the Carver for you 😀

P.S. If anyone in the midlands/Northants has a 19in Fisher 29er they don't mind letting random strangers ride (doesn't have to be a carbon pimp-mobile!) I'd love to try yours please 😉

Sam

Dave shouldbeworking – have a play around with BikeCAD. Basically if you stick my front end on a Soul rear you shouldn't be too far off. I'm sure Curtis could offer some insight as well.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

But will a Hummingbird front end work with a 80mm suspension fork?

RichardArmstrong
    Free Member

Hi there guys thanks for the comments which have been made so far, i think i'm going to go for a singular hummingbird.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘purpose built 69ers vs 26ers with 29er forks’ is closed to new replies.