• This topic has 30 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Puppy help please
  • emma82
    Free Member

Brought home an 8 week old cocker spaniel puppy yesterday and all has gone well except tonight we fed him at 630 and he still hasn’t pooped. He doesn’t like wet grass and won’t go on the patio. Anything I can do to get him to poop? His tummy is all bloated and generally he’s gone within 20 minutes of eating. He’s had a nap and is having a mental 30 mins now. Poops so far have been little and very runny which the breeder said to expect but didn’t expect him not to be able to go :/ he seems happy though. Advice?

flap_jack
    Free Member

put plenty of newspaper down…

emma82
    Free Member

Done that. He’s going to sleep again now.

CheesybeanZ

A puppy thread without pictures !! You can gently rub the poop exit , has he drunk much water ?

restless
    Free Member

Give him a squeeze, that’ll get things moving 😀

Drac

It’s not been 2 hours don’t worry about it.

emma82
    Free Member

Just had a big glug of water but he’s not a big drinker, he just tends to have the odd massive slurp every couple of hrs

emma82
    Free Member

But everything I’ve read days he should go witching 30 minutes or I have to take him to the vet ASAP!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Pictures… or you’re on your own.

emma82
    Free Member

How do I do that? I only have a pic on FB

waveydave
    Free Member

never ever heard about the within 30minutes thingy. If they dont wanna go then they wunna go simple as that. I would get him on the lead and go for a little walk to get that No2 moving. Most of all dont stress cos the dog will get upset also. D

Drac

But everything I’ve read days he should go witching 30 minutes or I have to take him to the vet ASAP!

But in reality they don’t.

CheesybeanZ

You need a photo hosting site , flickr, potobucket type of thing .

Northwind

Puppylax

Drac

You need a photo hosting site , flickr, potobucket type of thing .

http://imgur.com

It doesn’t need an account and provides the links.

unklehomered
    Free Member

FB… right click, properties, copy the url, paste in post.

Then I’ll read your problem and offer assistance… 🙂

eskay

Has it had its injections? If yes, take it out for a walk.

sm
    Free Member

You need to carry him to the middle of the grass then put him down on it and he will have to walk on it. Play with him out there and let him chill. Puppies get little round bloated tums, it’ll will come out when it’s ready.

emma82
    Free Member

No injections as yet, will have his first at 9 weeks next Saturday. We’ve had a play, walked around, played, watched, wee’d plenty. Currently snoring on the carpet in front of the TV.

emma82
    Free Member

I promise I’ll get a pic up tomorrow but I’m on my phone at the moment.

GolfChick
    Free Member

ignore what the book says about time constraints etc. lets face it we dont all have clockwork bowel movements! Long as you taken him out and given him plenty of opportunity to go then its just a waiting game, eagle eyes to spot when he’s looking like hes gonna and then pop him out so he can do it outside. You’ll soon know exactly what the signs are…… dont do as the OH did and watch her start to go and just stand there pointing at her in utter shock!

emma82
    Free Member

Praise The Lord he pooped! Only a bit but he got there bless him 🙂

Drac

emma82
    Free Member

Asleep again now after wiping his bum on my top.

MrNero50
    Free Member

You have a Cocker, as Golfchick says ignore everything you’ve read!

We’ve a 2 year old Working Cocker and he pretty much did nothing be it toilet habits or behaviour as per anything we read before hand!

They are amazing fun though! Loved the puppy phase but the adult phase teaching him to run with the bikes is so much more rewarding!

EDIT: have you been warned about the cockerdile land shark phase?

emma82
    Free Member

He’s a very cuddly puppy 🙂 we’re loving it at the moment and he didn’t cry at all last night, just slept in his crate.

Not been warned about a cockerdile phase? I can probably guess 😀 can’t wait to get him out running and training next year. He’s so cute, chocolate with a white bib, looks like he’s dribbled milk on his chin 🙂

MrNero50
    Free Member

Slept through first night? That’s a good sign, especially if you shut the door! 😀 we didn’t shut ours in till he was 14 weeks.

Oh you’ve probably guessed right about the cockerdile phase! They are buggers for it, but it passes, round the time they start to loose their baby teeth and go off 3 meals a day. Picking ours up saying no and giving him time out for about 30 seconds in a separate room worked for us. But as I said before that’s not guaranteed to work for you!

We first ran ours just after a year, but have limited to every few months since then to ensure he’s definitely fully grown.

Chocolate cockers are the best! 🙂

theotherjonv

Ours is a 7 month old cocker poodle cross. Also chocolate with a white chin and bib. I’d not heard of the cockerdile phase, but that came through clearly with the cross breeding!! And in fact it’s back as part of the adolescent phase.

Although having been spayed yesterday, she’s very subdued currently, in her collar of shame. Poor forlorn pup.

emma82
    Free Member

Yup, hubbie dragged him out at 230 am for a wee but had to wake him up then he collapsed back to sleep the second he went back in. I got up with him at 6am as planned but he’d just started to whimper and I think that’s because he’d had a little accident in the crate. We’ve crated him a couple of times for naps today and he cried for about 15 minutes each time, heartbreaking screams! But then drops off for at least an hr.

I think he might cry tonight, he was fast asleep this time last night but he’s now woken up and is shredding newspaper quite happily when we’re ready for bed. He’s so cute, he looks like a little bear!

emma82
    Free Member

Drac

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Puppy help please’ is closed to new replies.