Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • PSA: Xena Motorbike Security Chain £9.99
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

Motohaus are doing a decent Xena motorbike security chain for £9.99 reduced from £64.99 with the discount code XEN12

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Xena-1.1m-Chain.html#aW13_2dXSU69_2fXC13

It doesn’t come with a lock and the shipping is about £8 but it’s still a pretty good chain for the price 😀

The offer expires at 15:30 on 20th December.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Note – code is case sensitive!

alexpalacefan

ordered, thanks pal

APF

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scuttler

Ordered. Thanks!

toons
    Free Member

ordered thanks

wwaswas

their payment process is a shambles.

got an error on the first attempt and switched to the other method which completed but never returned to their site.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ordered, thanks.

Anyone know where you can get good (but inexpensive) padlocks?

sefton
    Free Member

how much is postage?
    8quid sorry

stumpy01

Offer bounce. Just ordered one. Had to put the code in twice, but it did take it…

Finishes at 15 30 according to the OP.

Thanks for posting, OP.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ace – two here 8)

weeksy

worth every penny LOL.

Crazy crazy people. Might as well just use a bungee cord 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Might as well just use a bungee cord

??

Care to explain?

wwaswas

My 3 arrived this morning.

seem solid enough.

Aidy
    Free Member

Item description appears to have been updated to be out of stock – still addable to basket, though…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s a good bit of kit for the money. Needs a decent ground anchor to chain to though. 🙂

weeksy

ir_bandito – Member

Might as well just use a bungee cord

??

Care to explain?

VERY few chains can resist the attack from a decent set of croppers/cutters… these are not one of the very few.

Do a search on youtube for Captain Cropper and watch how easy it is.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And how many casual bike thieves carry big croppers? Certainly not most. The more security you have the better you are, yes? And that’s a decent chain at a bargain price.

weeksy

You rekon bikes are mostly stolen by casual bike theives ? From the threads i see, most are taken from garages/sheds/houses.. they’re not the grounds of ‘casual’ bike theives IMO. they’re people tooled up for a specific purpose.

Maybe i’m over cautious due to my motorbike riding and the chains i use for them, however my bikes are locked and secured with at least 1 Almax series IV each.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Also, looking at the way he crops those chains, if you keep them off the floor it makes it a LOT harder to crop.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You rekon bikes are mostly stolen by casual bike theives

Yup. Bike thieves don’t expect huge chains. Motorbike thieves might though.
    This is why you need to keep the chain off the floor

But at the end of the day, if someone really wants it, they’ll have it.

weeksy

PeterPoddy – Member
    Also, looking at the way he crops those chains, if you keep them off the floor it makes it a LOT harder to crop.

Without doubt mate yes. My MTB one is a good 2′ from the floor no matter what way you do it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, mine is too.

weeksy

To save people searching.. he’s a few vids

25secs for a big chain…. it’s hard effort… but worth it for a £2000 Zesty or whatever

scuttler

Variables:

What’s the bike(sssss) worth?
    How good is your insurance?
    How secure is the bike/shed/garage?
    What’s crime like in your area?
    How easy is it for those targetting bikes to know you have something (Strava, bikes/rack on roof, Hope stickers in the car, cleaning in public view)…?

You does your risk assessment, you pays your money, and you follows best practice (e.g. not on the floor).

Which brings me to my next question – anchors in breezeblock wall vs concrete floor?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In concrete EVERY TIME! It’s waaaaay stronger.

scuttler

If it’s on concrete on the floor, what’s the best way to prevent the chain from dragging on the floor? If the bike can be laid down the chain ends up on the floor and can be more readily cropped.

Which lays out another point that the parts on a bike are worth sacrificing the frame if a thief is ‘that keen’ (either by cutting or stripping).

stumpy01

Yeah….now showing as out of stock. Didn’t notice at the time of ordering, so hope I got there in time…

I want one primarily as I currently don’t really use anything. I figured this is a good start.
    New year will see me getting a bit more serious about it.
    Even though this chain might not be the best, I often go in & out of the house while in the garage & this should at least stop the casual thief who walks past from grabbing an unlocked bike.

I am gonna get a wireless PIR too, I think.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for the PSA. 2 ordered as they are quite short. Out of stock but still orderable, will see if they eventually arrive. This is the kick up the arse I need to finally improve my security and get that ground anchor in that I’ve been planning. Cheers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

VERY few chains can resist the attack from a decent set of croppers/cutters… these are not one of the very few.

Do a search on youtube for Captain Cropper and watch how easy it is.

Its nit a decent set it is the best and largest set that you can actually buy and a little obvious to walk down thew street with
    What it shows is nothing is perfect and any physicla security is to stop opportunist/slow folk down

I suespect the average thief is more likely to have a battery powered angle grinder- well its what i would carry

FuzzyWuzzy

Too heavy to be portable and 13mm links aren’t enough for use in a garage/shed, although might be worth pairing with an alarm padlock as a second chain

bigdawg
    Free Member

christ Id forgotten about those videos Zanx did – seems like a lifetime ago… He supplied some really potent coffee too!

Brieze blocks would be pointless youd be able to lever it off with a good screwdriver, a ground anchor with the chain vertical (ie over the top tube and wrapped till taught) would make it more difficult but not impossible with croppers.

But as we were shown earlier in the year you can stand in broad daylight cutting bike locks and no one will take the blindest bit of notice – weeksy’s right get the best security you can afford if you dont want to lose your bikes.

johnnystorm

10 or 12 quid for a master lock chain from on-one with a lock. I reasoned its good enough to stop a casual thief and a committed tooled up thief will get through anything, hopefully he’ll get bored and not take everything….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m lucky. Our house is made of concrete, not brick. (Poured, no fines concrete if you really want to know) and the garage is built on the side. The bloke that lived there before left us an effing great Oxford chain in a ground anchor screwed into the concrete wall. He had no choice, mind, he couldn’t really take it with him!
    That’s what the Duke is chained to.

Maltloaf

Can anyone suggest a padlock to go with the Xena chain?

nealy
    Free Member

Can anyone suggest a padlock to go with the Xena chain?

Squire SS65CS or SS50CS but as has already been said it’s not a very good chain so you might as well use any cheap lock.

IMO this is the minimum required to stop opportunist and all bu the most determined serious thieves.

http://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=Torc1-P13-x.x-SS50CS

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

Er, the vids (and the Almax stands at the bike shows) show that’s a myth 😕

pixelmix
    Free Member

Order cancelled due to lack of stock now. Oh well.

Edit:- and apparently they will not be getting any more stock in.

toons
    Free Member

nealy the chain is the same type in that link you posted ie 13mm links and Hardened steel!

For a padlock have a look at the CISA PADLOCK 285/75

dirtyboy

Doesn’t matter what you use, they hacksaw the frames/forks to get components, if they are determined as as happened to a friend of mine. Straight through his glory and a five as they couldn’t deal with his almax chain and anchor

toons
    Free Member

That’s why i bought this one for my wheels!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Xena Motorbike Security Chain £9.99’ is closed to new replies.