Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA – Typhoon/Spitfire flypast today
  • Smudger666

1.25PM over the Forth Bridge, celebrating its 125th birthday. Given the clear blue skies over Fife this morning, should be a good sight.

kcal

oh, I’ll look out for the Typhoon(s) taking off at 1.05pm 🙂

Edit: some chat here – http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&p=696152

not clear what’s flying, replica Spitfire rather than one from the RAF flight it seems. Mk1 Typhoon may make more sense right enough scotroutes judging by context.

scotroutes

I assumed that meant Mk1 Typhoon…..

donald
    Free Member

Taking more Radium to Dalgetty Bay. Rub it in guys 🙂

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

saw the typhoon at the Stirling air show last year. I thought the Apache was the daddy of flying machines until the typhoon flew in like a boss. The sound was truly incredible and i dont think many grown adults didn’t want to be a fighter pilot at that moment.

[video]http://youtu.be/ltyFpk6qGK0[/video]

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@scotlandthedave – that was a good day besides the flying stuff I have two strong memories of the day.
    1 – the young woman with small children who turned to her husband(?) and said, “this is pure boring, I’m going home” all the while in the background the Apache gunship was literally dancing around the sky… horses for courses, I suppose.
    2 – the torrential downpour which had most people heading home in a big hurry, including us, and the guy in his van playing Sweet little mystery by Wet Wet Wet at full volume, I gave him a wee nod as I rode past 😆

Smudger666

Thanks to some roadworks in inverkeithing and a late phone call for work, i arrived at the viewpoint at the top North Queensferry to see the spitfire wiggle its wings and head NE over fife.

ho hum.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Modern day Typhoon flew over once, then the Spitfire (replica?) flew around the bridges a few times. It was pretty good to see. You just knew that the pilot was having the time of his life.

grim168
    Free Member

I hate the fact they changed the name to encourage sales in asia. Its a bloody eurofighter!

renton
    Free Member

29sqn typhoon

scuttler

With heritage like this I say it’s a Typhoon (painting I know)

‘Eurofighter’ is some sort of crappy collaborative/committee appeasement name. Typhoon is closely behind Spitfire and Hellcat in the badass name stakes and a clear winner in the aesthetics department.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I hate the fact they changed the name to encourage sales in asia. Its a bloody eurofighter

We named it after a world war 2 fighter-bomber, much to the annoyance of ze Germans.

A bit silly really as it’s not really a proper fighter-bomber like the Rafael or F-18.

renton
    Free Member

Is that what you think Tom ?????

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

the torrential downpour which had most people heading home in a big hurry

yup that was a real shame that, as we made a run for it too – biblical volumes of rain though. It was a bit of a surprise to see call me dave there too, also princess anne.

StirlingCrispin

the torrential downpour which had most people heading home in a big hurry

Me and Thump toughed it out. Was a lot quieter once the lightweights had gone home.

The Lancaster was awesome!! (as were the Red Arrows).

CountZero

grim168 – Member
    I hate the fact they changed the name to encourage sales in asia. Its a bloody eurofighter!

🙄
    What about the Jaguar and Tornado? Both European projects.

The Eurofighter Typhoon is unique in modern combat aircraft in that there are four separate assembly-lines. Each partner company assembles its own national aircraft, but builds the same parts for all 683 aircraft (including exports); Premium AEROTEC (main centre fuselage[36]), EADS CASA (right wing, leading edge slats), BAE Systems (front fuselage (including foreplanes), canopy, dorsal spine, tail fin, inboard flaperons, rear fuselage section) and Alenia Aermacchi (left wing, outboard flap

Seeing as we build our own national aircraft, why, exactly, shouldn’t we call the bloody thing anything we want?

ekul
    Free Member

Wasn’t it originally going to be called the Eurofighter 2000? But then as it still wasn’t fully operational by 2000 they renamed it the Typhoon? I prefer the name Typhoon anyway. You realise It’s an apt name when you’re stuck behind a flimsy barrier about 10m from the edge of the runway as ones taking off! Thought my car was going to disintegrate!!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Eurofighter Typhoon is unique in modern combat aircraft in that there are four separate assembly-lines. Each partner company assembles its own national aircraft, but builds the same parts for all 683 aircraft (including exports); Premium AEROTEC (main centre fuselage[36]), EADS CASA (right wing, leading edge slats), BAE Systems (front fuselage (including foreplanes), canopy, dorsal spine, tail fin, inboard flaperons, rear fuselage section) and Alenia Aermacchi (left wing, outboard flap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_EAP

It’s mostly ours, they just improved it a bit. 😆

matt_outandabout

That spitfire today was having a great time – all over and round the hill foots, the a loop round Wallace monument, a quick dive at Stirling castle and then off for a lap of the southern Highlands, and in stunning blue skies and snow….

Awesome noise…

kcal

actually reckon the Typhoon is a bit quieter and less earth shattering that the Tornado..

ekul
    Free Member

Ive not heard the tornado for a while, don’t get too many of them taking off from work now. The typhoon used to make me smile though, you’d be walking through site and when one took off the noise was incredible. You’d just see people mouthing “FUUU********IIING HELL”

renton
    Free Member

Do you mean the variable noise, constant speed Tornado??

The only reason Typhoon is quieter is because it doesnt need full reheat to get off the runway.

Stood in the hangar whilst a tonka is taking off is earth shatteringly loud.!!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

good video of a Typhoon departing/arriving at Prestwick here, amazing machine!

renton
    Free Member

Sometimes its not a bad place to work………….

:mrgreen:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Typhoon/Spitfire flypast today’ is closed to new replies.