Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • PSA: Scammer in the Classifieds.
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I tried to Buy a Stem off a guy in the classifieds, and when I paid, I sent it by PayPal but included extra to cover fees (he asked for gift but I dont trust that method as a buyer !)

Anyway, he refused the payment saying it was his friends account. And he would only accept PayPal Gift (bollx)

The users account is here along with all the stuff he has for sale.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/lnelson123

And when I googled the Paypal email address he asked me to make payment to, I found this :

http://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=17388&pagenum=302

druidh
    Free Member

It’s been said time and time again – never buy from someone with no posting history apart from selling stuff.

nealglover
    Free Member

I am no money down, as he wouldn’t accept a proper paypal payment.

Just warning others as he has a fair few things for sale.

Mr_C
    Free Member

lnelson123? Is it this bloke?

He’s a well dodgy geezer.

nealglover
    Free Member

He might as well be.

rmacattack
    Free Member

TTGVayZaa@hotmail.co.uk avoid this email as well as lnelson123@hotmail.com.
    Unfortunately I lost my cash for being stupid, I will do my hardest to get it resolved.
    Paypal name is Sean madden.
    So paypal gift payments are a loss with no resolution?
    And can mods not remove account?

nealglover
    Free Member

Been on here before under a different username too.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-gopro-hero-wide-sd-price-drop

smiff
    Free Member

not sure if mods can do this, but more effective would be to mark him scammer to other logged in users. banning, he can just sign up again presumably. i’m thinking something like the “p” tag that paying users have now.

Klunk
    Free Member

what about a sticky on the for sale with a list of suspect sellers to be careful of and their pseudos.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

saw this on more dirt:

Madden96

Wanted : Fox 36s.
    Wanted Fox 36s!

Must Be Black or Grey!

150-160mm Travel.

Must Have No Crack In Lowers, Or Damaged Stanchions.

Will Pay Up To £250 Depending On Condition.

Steerer Tube Must Be 1-1/8th

Can Be Any (Talas/Float/Van).

Mobile : 07736953183
    Email : Danny_Madden@hotmail.co.uk

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

saw this on more dirt:

Madden96

Wanted : Fox 36s.
    Wanted Fox 36s!

Must Be Black or Grey!

150-160mm Travel.

Must Have No Crack In Lowers, Or Damaged Stanchions.

Will Pay Up To £250 Depending On Condition.

Steerer Tube Must Be 1-1/8th

Can Be Any (Talas/Float/Van).

Mobile : 07736953183
    Email : Danny_Madden@hotmail.co.uk

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just incase any off you need a number

Pook

MODS – SCAMMERS STICKY NOW

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m all for a good witch-hunt but how are you linking Danny Madden wanting to buy forks to Sean Madden, the name of the apparent Paypal scammer? OK they have the same surname but is that it or am I missing something?

neninja
    Free Member

Both have used the same paypal address

wisepranker
    Free Member

Surely it’s about time STW did something about the scammers on here?
    Is it really that difficult to make a sticky thread with the usernames and email addresses of known scammers?
    Would it be such a bad idea that selling in the classifieds becomes a Premier user only thing? At least that way there’s records of sellers details from when they signed up.

I had problems on here with someone trying to scam me for £260 not so long back, thankfully I got it sorted in the end but others aren’t so lucky.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m all for a good witch-hunt but how are you linking Danny Madden wanting to buy forks to Sean Madden, the name of the apparent Paypal scammer? OK they have the same surname but is that it or am I missing something?

Agreed…..unless I am also missing something?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

from this: (matching all the emails up.)

You got an email i can contact you on junior?

Paypal is TTGVayZaa@hotmail.co.uk
    Email is Danny_Madden@hotmail.co.uk

Send as a Gift or Add 4% on top to cover paypal fees

First to Send Payment Gets It i Guess.

I Can Assure you Guys Its 100% Working.

Now Including Rechargeable Batteries, These Will Come Charged, But May Not Last Long When You Recieve The Parcel, So Just Letting You Know They Are Rechargeable

Thanks Guys, Let Me Know When You Have Sent The Payment of £105

lump

Guys can some one link me to a few mods usernames ? I have a few ideas to pass over.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I emailed lneleson123 asking for pictures of a Fox jersey and highroller he’s been selling – he replied:

Subject: RE: FS Fox Jersey Brand New Medium Men
    No Problem Paul, the Jersey is brand new.
    And my Phone is currently in repair as the screen is cracked, so it will take a few days to get a picture up somehow!
    When i figure out a way to get pictures without my phone ill email you asap, cant promise nothing though, expecting these to sell fast!
    Thanks.

Speshpaul

Well first off

MAKE REQUESTING PAYMANT BY PAYPAL GIFT A INSTANT BAN.

make this very clear all over the classifieds.

then no one with good intensions will ask for it.

This could be done today.

DezB
    Free Member

MAKE REQUESTING PAYMANT BY PAYPAL GIFT A INSTANT BAN

Nonsense. I’ve used it loads of times. Bank transfer is just as unprotected. buyers just have to be more cautious.

MSP

Same I usually request paypal gift.

FuzzyWuzzy

There’s a difference between using it and making it mandatory on a purchase though. If people want to take the risk of gifting to save themselves the fees then that’s their shout but otherwise they should assume the price in the ad doesn’t include paypal fees if they chose to use a normal paypal payment.

Gary_M
    Free Member

People just ned to be sensible about who they buy from. Use common sense, look at peoples selling history and their forum history. I know that makes it more difficult for people who’s never sold before but thats the way I play it.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with Paypal Gift when buying or selling.

Its my default payment method. This all comes down to buyer beware!!

If the OP had checked the seller out properly then he might not have pursued further.

Banning Paypal gift payments will alienate quite a few

Speshpaul

Dez
    Why nonsense?
    What dosen’t make sense about that to you?
    Why not make it clear cut?
    system works well on other forums

Remember Gift is just who it says on the tin, you are giving away your money.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I would use PP Gift, but I only buy off users I recognise as “regulars”

bluebird
    Free Member

Speshpaul – don’t take this the wrong way, but why not take repsonsibility for your own actions? If you don’t want to pay using PayPal as a gift pay then pay the extra fees for protection. It’s no big deal.

Sellers are just trying to their their stuff at a price that’s good for them and low for the buyer. Most people on here are genuine.

I agree it would be easy enough for the mods to tweak the backend admin to visually highlight a known scammer, but it would probably be better to just delete their account.

Merak

That’s the point isn’t it. Scammers have cottoned onto the fact that we trade with each other on here with a degree of trust involved. If you know the seller or buyer has been a long term member then your good to go.

I do have sympathy with anyone who’s scammed but as mentioned before buyer beware.

gaberin
    Free Member

I tried to buy the high rollers off him, asked for a picture but he wouldn’t give it too me, so I avoided.

jota180
    Free Member

These days on here
    I never buy off ‘unknowns’ or classifieds only users
    I never pay [or ask for] by PPG – no one has yet refused or insisted I pick up their PP fees.

bluebird
    Free Member

their PP fees

Come on, when I sell something on here I’m not trading as a business. I’m a bloke with a rear mech lying around in my shed. PP fees aren’t an overhead of my global enterprise, they protect the seller. Why should I pay for that?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why don’t buyers just post on the ‘for sale’ thread after the item has been received and they are happy with the sale? That way its easy to check if the buyer is genuine or not by checking forum history. Its a simple feedback system.

Buying blind, without checking the user out is a bit daft.

jota180
    Free Member

they protect the seller. Why should I pay for that?

Because in that example you’re the seller? – just a thought

bluebird
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant buyer. Oops 😳

bluebird
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I never pay [or ask for] by PPG – no one has yet refused or insisted I pick up their PP fees.

I do, why would I accept 4% less (or however much it is now) than I was asking for?

If someone want’s to pay by non-gift paypal then that’s fine, but i’d expect them to pay the fee as it offers sweet FA to the seller.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Used PPG lots of times. No problems at all.
    Although I tend to steer clear of unknowns, classifieds only users and newly registered memebers with no posting history on here. Probably missed out on a few good deals through being over-cautious. But I’ve not lost any money as a result!
    If it seems too good to be true invariably it is! If you’re really worried insist on std PayPal pick up the extra fees and away you go. If the seller objects then they’ve clearly got something to hide.
    Expecting the mods to monitor the classifieds, whilst a nice thought, isn’t going to happen.
    Use some common sense and good judgement.

Speshpaul

“Speshpaul – don’t take this the wrong way, but why not take repsonsibility for your own actions?”

Hard not to as you have mentioned me by name and suggested i don’t take responsibility for my own actions.
    On what do you base you accusation?

Anyways, in general i apply all of the rules and top tips mentioned above and i will gift to people i “know”.

But that isn’t really the issue. STW is seen as a place where scammers can scam by using the Gift scam.
    That is a fact, its happening all the time.
    It will get a rep for it (as other forums have) and if you sell on here asking for gift you run the risk of being tarred with the same brush.

So why not stop it?

and if you want to stop it, whats the simplest way?

Ban the use of paypal Gift.

the scammers will go else where until they find a new scam.
    By allowing it to continue we are allowing them to scam.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Scammer in the Classifieds.’ is closed to new replies.