Home Forums Chat Forum PSA Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, 16GB, Wi-Fi

• This topic has 31 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PSA Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, 16GB, Wi-Fi
  • jon1973
    Free Member

If you’re after a tablet, just noticed a pretty good deal on the John Lewis website. Was up for £399, when I looked last week. £318 now, plus £50 cash back from Samsung.

Mine is arriving on Monday (although I’m not allowed to play with it until Christmas Day)

http://www.johnlewis.com/231714902/Product.aspx

nbt

The non “note” version is only 238, so 188 after the £50 cachback

jon1973
    Free Member

If you’re talking about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Tablet, it has a slower processor (1.0 GHz versus 1.4 GHz on the Note)

cranberry
    Free Member

I own a Note – 10.1 they are very good. They show up how limiting the ipad is.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had a note 10.1 for 4 hours, I bought it to replace my iPad 3 and decided it was crap so sent it back. Pleased with my nexus 7 though.

(If you do want the note though Tesco had the same deal as JL but there’s a lot of vouchers kicking about)

chillnflow
    Free Member

Not bad deals.
    If you cant afford an ipad, which is best Samsung Note / Tab 2 or Google Nexus (are they made by Asus?)…….fiiiggghhht!

Bez

Only get the Note if you want to draw and write on it. It’s ace for that. Otherwise the Nexus.

duckers
    Free Member

Pcworld will pricematch a numbers of websites + 10% of the difference, and also have a deal to get £30 cashback if you buy a case with the tablet, this means you can buy a ten quid case and get a total of £80 cashback. Works out as around £150 for a tab and £240 for a note. Beware though, there are time limits on when you can apply for the casback!

jon1973
    Free Member

JL also do the 2 year guarantee on all tablets.

nbt

I was hovering on the “buy” when it struck ne to check for USB connectivity – was planning to grab a dongle to use it when we’re away in the caravan

Doesn’t have a USB port.GRRRR. Anyone used one of the adapters?

Cougar

You need a USB OTG cable. Four quid from Amazon. (Assuming it’s compatible; I’ve not looked at the Note specifically)

nbt

No, it doesn;t have USB *at all*. You need to get their own 30-pin to USB connector first, then worry if you can use whatever you plug into it

soma_rich
    Free Member

Galaxy screen is way better than the Nexus also has stereo speakers.

dan1980
    Free Member

Galaxy screen is way better than the Nexus also has stereo speakers.

In what way?

If you’re comparing like for like (i.e. Note 10.1 vs Nexus 10) the the screen on the Nexus has a higher pixel density 300 vs 150), and higher resolution (2560×1600 vs 800×1024) . Also the Nexus is protected by Gorrilla glass.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Before buying the tab 10.1 I had the same film playing on each one. The Galaxy looks better. I dont know why as you say the specs are better on the nexus, maybe its the gorilla glass making it duller?

Try one against the other.

Dobbo

It’s only got Version 4.0 Android as well.

cranberry
    Free Member

It’s only got Version 4.0 Android as well.

Not for long – the updates are being released, starting with the WIFI/3G version which is out now.

I_Ache
    Free Member
    nbt

I can get a dongle free off a mate, and get a three SIM card with 3gb of data fro £12 off amazon. Paying £60 for a thing like that is not a viable idea – I’d rather buy a smartphone and use that as a hotspot!

Cougar

No, it doesn;t have USB *at all*. You need to get their own 30-pin to USB connector first, then worry if you can use whatever you plug into it

Really? Gosh.

I_Ache
    Free Member

You will be lucky. Orange/EE want £15 a month for me to be able to use my HTC as a hotspot.

You could buy one of those MiFi dongles for about £40, they must take a SIM so you could carry on with your £12 SIMs from amazon.

I don’t think any big name tablets have proper full size USB connectors.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-Wireless-MiFi-WiFi-MWAN-Mobile-Hotspot-3G-USB-Router-Modem-Broadband-/290697788920?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D230776044821%26ps%3D54

I_Ache
    Free Member

Double post

Cougar

Orange/EE want £15 a month for me to be able to use my HTC as a hotspot.

In comparison, O2 went “sure, we’ll just enable that for you” on my OH’s contract (and it’s always Just Worked on mine).

Cougar

I don’t think any big name tablets have proper full size USB connectors.

Because USB is a client / server architecture, and the tablets are client devices. That’s what USB OTG does, allows two clients to talk to each other.

You’re not worrying about USB for tethering purposes, are you?

nbt

This is the SIM i was going to get

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Broadband-Preloaded-Mobile-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353428079&sr=8-1

then stick in a dongle.

As it’s specifically for mobile internet, I can’t see an issue with tethering, and it’s not mentioned in the Ts&Cs

If I use my netbook, all is good. If I want to use a tablet, I either need to connect the sim /dongle to the tablet itself, or plug it into the netbook, then tether the tablet to the netbook.

Not too worried about there not being a full size USB connection, more about there being no USB at all, not even the micro USB you get on the samsub S3 for instance

Edit – my bad

Our Pay As You Go plans don’t allow tethering

Cougar

How does it charge, incidentally?

jon1973
    Free Member

it charges through the Samsung 30-pin plug.

Cougar

Ugh. Weird. Oh well.

Grimy
    Free Member

Another vote for the nexus here. It’s made my ipad obsolete, though that wasn’t hard. Piece o ****

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Actually, that Samsung charger was another reason it went back – I’m bollocksed if I’m starting another collection of wires and chargers etc.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Check out giffgaff for either a payg phone sim with up to 1GB of data including tethering for a tenner for your smartphone, or for a tablet, there’s a data plan only for a fiver. Credit lasts a month, but only top up when needed.

nbt

I’m off to Scotland and GiffGaff use 02 whose network coverage is awful round the places I’m planning to visit

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PSA Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, 16GB, Wi-Fi’ is closed to new replies.