• This topic has 28 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • PSA – RockShox Charger Damper
  • cnud
    Free Member

Clicky seems like a good deal. Not sure if it’s the upgrade kit with the oil and syringe or just the damper. Anyway, might be useful for some
    https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/rockshox-fork-part-damper-kit-pike-rct3-27-5-crown-adjust?gclid=CJmR6LHQgM8CFRCNGwodfikLQg

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nice PSA, I’m after one of those to upgrade my Yari.

I’m just waiting to hear back from Avalanche UK about the price of their damper.

Scamper
    Free Member

Would that fit the Yari?

Either way, cheap compared to the £240 it cost me to get the new Lyrik RCT3 damper unit (including oil kit) for my old lyriks. Can’t recall if it was specifically made for the my `old’ Lyriks or merely the new lyric damper. Massive difference though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Would that fit the Yari?

Either way, cheap compared to the £240 it cost me to get the new Lyrik RCT3 damper unit (including oil kit) for my old lyriks. Can’t recall if it was specifically made for the my `old’ Lyriks or merely the new lyric damper. Massive difference though.

Supposedly the only thing that separates the Yari and the Lyrik is the charger damper and it’s the same one used in the Pike so away you go.

For £112 I’m happy to give it a punt. RS stuff is piss easy to work on.

The Charger upgrade kit for the 26″ Lyrik is a different thing.

porter_jamie

I got an email from Jake. The avalanche damper is going to be about double that. He does an andreani kit for less than the charger damper, fitted too. I think I’m going to go for it

porter_jamie

Doh. About 5 times that

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just heard from him too – yeah likely to be £500 inc a service. They say it’s worth every penny, but it’s an awful lot of them.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The Lyrik charger damper is different to the Pike one.

julians
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the pike charger and the lyrik charger

bruneep

He (Jake) seems to making numbers up at the moment quoted me £500 for work I questioned why it was way cheaper on US site, the price dropped. Still dont have an exact price yet, just it’ll be about….

BoardinBob

Hmm.

generic “sports” shop

Lots of hard to find rockshox spares

I’m betting they carry zero stock and just order from Fisher/ SRAM

P-Jay
    Free Member

julians – Member

What’s the difference between the pike charger and the lyrik charger

I’ve been delving into .PDFs of exploded diagrams of Lyriks and Pikes to try to get to the parts numbers to confirm if they are different and how different – the Pike Charger supposedly fits the Yari, so I’ve read but the internal diameter of the stanchions is slightly different as they’re thicker on the Lyrik/Yari.

RS, I suspect, aren’t too keen to have people know they’re interchangeable as, as it stands, it’s cheaper to buy a Yari and a Charger damper than buy either a Pike or a Lyrik. In the US it’s cheaper to buy a Yari and a Avalanche Damper and a Lyrik.

There are also 2 types of Lyrik Charger Damper – 1 is for the current Lyrik, the other is an official upgrade for the old 26″ Lyrik which is a completely different fork.

P-Jay
    Free Member

He (Jake) seems to making numbers up at the moment quoted me £500 for work I questioned why it was way cheaper on US site, the price dropped. Still dont have an exact price yet, just it’ll be about….

He was open and honest it would be “around” etc, not certain.

I suspected it would be cheaper in the US, it won’t be subject to import duties over there (which you’d pay to import it) and US prices are invariably quoted pre-local taxes, Jake will quote inc VAT.

BoardinBob

Spare parts catalogue reveals all

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/owLRs0rHuRiZOCl6jbgCc0NkH-Xqkrf2WWqYIMaagn8/mtime:1469823241/sites/default/files/techdocs/2017_rockshox_spc_rev_a_0.pdf

Part number: 11.4018.009.077

is

Damper Internals Right Charger Pike 29+/Lyrik RC 27.5/29/27.5 BoostCompatible 15X110/2927+ Boost Compatible 15×110 Crown AdjustB1

It used to be you had to try and find duplicate part numbers but they actually list all the compatible forks now against each number

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks Bob,

Seems that, that damper only fits the 29+ version Pike so conversely you would think the one in the link above doesn’t fir the Yari/Lyrik and is part number 11.4018.009.030.

bruneep

50% cheaper tho

BoardinBob

Couldn’t say but I did learn yesterday that the top cap on the air spring side on a non-boost pike is different from a boost version. Apparently the thread pitch is different despite the stanchions being identical. Reason I found out was that new MRP bottomless token thing. It only fits boost Pikes and I asked on their facebook page and they explained the top cap thing. I’d suspect the damper side could be different too between models.

cnud
    Free Member

So mine arrived yesterday. All good, complete with all adjusters, bolt and crush washers in a Shimano sealed bag with correct item numbers, etc, going to fit it in my RC Pike but also have a boost Yari so I’ll check the top cap size and report back

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yari goes up to 180mm travel and the Pike only 160mm so I wonder whether the Pike damper can cope with the extra?

mildred

I suspected it would be cheaper in the US, it won’t be subject to import duties over there (which you’d pay to import it) and US prices are invariably quoted pre-local taxes, Jake will quote inc VAT.

50% cheaper tho

Sadly not:

I sent my rp23 to Avalanche in the states to have the ssd modification. It cost me:

£35 UPS shipping
    $179 modification / £143 + 10% import duty = £157.30
    $45 return shipping / £34 + 10% import duty = £37.40
    + 20% VAT = approximately £270 ish

So, a pike damper (which has to be sent to the states) = $449 / £340
    Fitting = $100 / £77
    Courier to the states = £35 ish
    Return shipping = $45 ish / £34
    = approximately £451 + 10% import + 20% VAT + £35 = £630 (ish).

This is based solely on my own experience of sending my shock to Avalanche.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

This all seems like a lot of messing about . I have the Yari , and while I will admit to not being the gnarliest rider out there , I find them absolutely brilliant . Night and day better than the Fox 34 that were on the bike previously . I struggle to see how you could make them much better but as I say harder riders than me may notice an improvement .

P-Jay
    Free Member

@cnud of you could that would be great!

cnud
    Free Member

Shimano sealed bag

RockShox obv

Yep, my boost size Yari has a finer pitch thread top cap on the damper side when compared with the standard axle width Pike. So the above PSA is no good for boost forks.

kimbers

Would it fit a non boost Yari tho?

As for the avvy thing, their price’s have gone up on the US site compared to the above example and when I got mine done
    The spring prices are exactly what you’d expect if you include postage, import duty and vat, not to mention weaker pound (cheers Brexit)

cnud
    Free Member

Can’t see why not as long as it’s not over 160 travel. Strip out the moco internals and the charger should go straight in. Would have liked to have tried it actually but doesn’t look like you can swap a moco top cap with an RCT3

RickDraper
    Free Member

It will not fit a Yari, boost or none boost.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rick Draper – Member

It will not fit a Yari, boost or none boost.

I suspect you’re right, the differentiator seems to be the ‘chassis’ the Yari is in essence a Lyrik with lower/older spec MoCo damper and uses the Lyrik Chassis inc the CSU.

If you want to upgrade to a Charger on a Yari I think you’ll need the Lyrik Charger damper which is part number:

11.4018.009.077 for the RC (whether this is better than a MoCo who knows, it seems to be an OEM fork, I’ve never seen them sold)

Or

11.4018.009.078 for the RTC3

I can’t find any for sale on-line but if anyone is interested I’m planning to drop a line to Loco to see if they can supply/fit them.

Or possibly buy the Pike damper and buy a Lyrik top cap, might be cheaper over all.

cnud
    Free Member

I’d be interested

P-Jay
    Free Member

cnud – Member

I’d be interested

Just had a quick e-mail back from Loco, they don’t have that part and the UK distributor doesn’t have them either. I guess you can buy the individual parts to repair an existing damper, but not buy a whole new one.

It might be a plan on RSs part to stop people converting Yari’s into Lyriks – on the face of it, it would be cheaper to do so than buy one and you get the benefit of a spare damper unit.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘PSA – RockShox Charger Damper’ is closed to new replies.