Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA – on 5 tonight – World's Scariest Plane Landings 8pm
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I like scaring the bejesus out of myself. This looks good.

jp-t853

It will probably feature a few from East Midland Airport if it has UK ones.

I have had one truly awful flight about five years ago with bags falling from the lockers, flight crew looking pale and the plane shunting thirty feet sideways about one hundred feet off the ground. It just makes you realise how safe it is when you land in one piece, I have found flying much easier since that time.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Flying into Madeira next month. I was watching youtube videos the other day to put me in the holiday mood 🙂

(9th trickiest airport to land at apparently)

ratherbeintobago

Landing at a not very big, moving airport:

Andy

(Can’t get video embed to work – hmmmm)

TimP
    Free Member

Ryanair should have a good few! A few years ago they tried to land on the airport approach road in Cork…

crazy-legs

Hasn’t it been on before? Sure I remember watching something like that a while ago. Worst one is somewhere in the Himalayas apparently. Steep runway with a cliff at each end! 😯

Landing at a not very big, moving airport

Counter-intuitively, when you land on an aircraft carrier you do it at full throttle cos if you miss the arrester wire you need the power to be able to get off the deck again and go round. Weird feeling, landing at full power…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

only thing I noticed with Madiera is that the brakes come on might fast and strong.

When you take off they have to land again at another island as they can’t carry enough fuel when taking off, because of the weight.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hasn’t it been on before? Sure I remember watching something like that a while ago. Worst one is somewhere in the Himalayas apparently. Steep runway with a cliff at each end!

This is about crash landings – not tricky airports.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“World’s Scariest Plane Landings”

Bit of an odd programme? I imagine this landing was a bit scary for those who died and survived!

derek_starship
    Free Member

FD – that was a real tragedy. They were so, close to landing. Like the British Midland one at Kegworth. SO close to the airport. Mind you if you kill a healthy engine while the other is afire…

Harry_the_Spider

How long did the survivors have to wait for their bags after that one eh?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

i used to be a cabin boy and we had some right scary landings…..put me off flying for a few years but im cool with it now…used to have 4-6 flights a day

the planes are getting quieter and faster over the years..

duntmatter
    Free Member

cabin boy?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

cabin boy?

Roger?

Stoner
    Free Member

Roger, is that you?

EDIT: fast, m_f, fast. 😉

davetrave
    Free Member

Presumably lots of shoddy 35 year old RAF TriStars held together with black nasty as well…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve landed at Gibraltar. I could only see down, I was looking at water, then water, then more water getting closer and closer.. come on.. tarmac, please tarmac! TARMAAAAAAAAAAAAACC!!!! Phew! Bump!

derek_starship
    Free Member

molgrips – I had a similar experience flying into La Guardia. What a terrifying tease!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s an old program, first shown in January 2009 I believe

Stoner
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the kind of thing grips.

Whole new level of faith in the skills of the pilot

PJM1974
    Free Member

I do know from my father that Handley Page’s adjacent runway was some distance shorter than the recommended minimum length for a Victor to take off and land on. Imagine trying to take off in a plane that’s fresh from the production line and hasn’t yet been fully tested…quite a white knuckle ride apparently.

And Boscombe Down’s runway was also some distance shorter than the recommended minimum for the Lightnings they used to train pilots in there.

Wouldn’t be allowed nowadays…

MountainMutant
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_MfHMQWmiE&sns=fb[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve landed at Gibraltar. I could only see down, I was looking at water, then water, then more water getting closer and closer.. come on.. tarmac, please tarmac! TARMAAAAAAAAAAAAACC!!!! Phew! Bump!

That’s like the old Fornebu yaffut in Oslo. Lots of diddy little islands, but also lots of water. In winter it’s not scary cos all the water is frozen and you don’t think you’re about to crash into a watery grave.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What a crap programme – lost interest just after the first set of adverts because they hadn’t even managed to show one plane in a ball of flames and the first landing was boring when they eventually got around to showing it.

jon1973
    Free Member

What a crap programme – lost interest just after the first set of adverts because they hadn’t even managed to show one plane in a ball of flames and the first landing was boring when they eventually got around to showing it.

I agree. Nothing more that you could see if you sat down on YouTube for 5 minutes without putting up with all the adverts and build-up. Was a bit disappointed, I was expecting more of a ‘Black Box’ type documentary.

scuttler

I like this. I presume it was on.

Those shadows get very close! Plus a nearly 180 degree very tight turn.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_z5HtME9n8[/video]

Flaperon

Right now Marrakech is top of the list of my most-hated-airports-to-land-at. Imagine you have a five year old with an airport toy set to play with, and the game is to point all the other planes at each other. Then, to calm him down, you give him a jumbo box of Smarties and a bottle of Coke…

molgrips
    Free Member

Scuttler – that’s impressive plane handling! Makes a change from all this electronic stuff nowadays 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    Hasn’t it been on before? Sure I remember watching something like that a while ago. Worst one is somewhere in the Himalayas apparently. Steep runway with a cliff at each end!

Lukla. Mrs Druidh is going to be sampling it in March.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37NX0[/video]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Col Steve Austin crash landing that secret high alt spy plane will certainly be on I expect. They did have to rebuild him, mind.

ratherbeintobago

Counter-intuitively, when you land on an aircraft carrier you do it at full throttle cos if you miss the arrester wire you need the power to be able to get off the deck again and go round

Crazy-legs,

You’ll know the line about wafus not being paid more, but rather being paid faster?

Andy

Riksbar

The other tricky bit about landing on a boat is that carriers are designed to be stable on roll which means they pitch badly, and this means that the end of your runway is moving up to 30′ up and down.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVgBayUfPJU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

tthew

Lukla airport, Brilliant. Flew out of there a few years ago back to Kathmandu. Was gutted when a Helicopter turned up for us.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘PSA – on 5 tonight – World's Scariest Plane Landings 8pm’ is closed to new replies.