Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA: Magicshine commuter light
  • Moe

Been using one of these for about two years and it’s been faultless …. and now less than half price!
    Magicshine MJ-890

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They bright enough for night road riding?

RustyNissanPrairie

+1 for the MJ890- I’ve used mine since mid last year.
    Only just light enough to ride unlit off-road with but perfect for normal road commuting.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Is there any way of helmet mounting this?

dave360

Nick, at your speed, yes 😉 But really, no.
    Still a great light for urban roadyism, even during daylight on flash.
    Only gripe is the O ring mounting that allows the light to slip forward.
    I mounted mine so that the brake cable stopped it moving, but other methods could work.

cookeaa

Thought This was a useful…

Might take a flier on it for commuting duties.

Cheers OP..

tthew

Mine arrived yesterday, it’s a nice little thing. Hemet mounting might be tricky, the bracket is fixed so will depend on the design of the helmet.

Major drawback that I see is its narrow beam (15 degrees according to the instructions) means a second wide angle light will be absolutely necessary.

Still good enough that I ordered a second one for the better half.

cookeaa

Mine was waiting when I got home just now.

First impressions are good, smaller than I expected, seems nice and bright, might pop out for a trundle on the Bridleslayer later for a bit of an on/offroad trial…

squin
    Free Member

I was about to order two but they’ve just put the price up to £22.

At £22 they’re now closer in price to much better lights for only a couple of £ more.

Can’t blame them for capitalising on increased sales numbers though.

cookeaa

I expect those of us who go the cheaper priced ones are either taking older stock that’s been sat on the shelves a while (too long a storage period for a Li-Ion Battery probably isn’t ideal), or else they were just hoping to take advantage of bank holiday browsers making a snap purchasing decision…

nbt

Link to better lights please? Am looking for a new commuting light, would like to evaluate all options cheers

tthew

Used mine in anger last night. Plenty bright enough for an off-road bimble along flat tracks and paths, but I don’t think good enough for a fast ride or more technical, (not designed for that though). Power indicator went to blue faster than I expected, will have to try a run time test to see if it will last the full 3 hours.

squin
    Free Member

My thoughts are based on my commute having some very very dark stretches so 160 l isn’t bright enough for me, so lights are either flashy (be seen) or on (see well enough to bimble along at 20mph).

My thinking is that if you’re going to pay £22 for a 160l light you might as well pay £28 for 400l (if you need 400l that is).

Here are some options:
    400l £28

300l £25

300l £26 – £25 on CRC

170l £25 Knog

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Magicshine commuter light’ is closed to new replies.