Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA: Aldi 5 watt torch this weekend
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27787.htm

Was £7.99 last year, now it’s £11.99 🙁

iridebikes
    Free Member

Should that be available today?

Rscott
    Free Member

Inflation, More empolyee’s, longer opening hours, higher charges for shop fittings and electricity. Expanding. Manufacturers upping the price.

All reasons the aldi specials may have increased.

And no sunday

ski
    Free Member

Did anyone buy one last time round, are they any good?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes. They are.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Can you get a mount to turn them onto a headtorch?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

There wasn’t one on sale there. I’m sure that you could improvise one.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What does 5w equate to.?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

AAAAARRRGH! MY EYES! bright! The torch even has a stick-on warning notice NOT to look into the beam…

Trekster

iridebikes – Member

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html

ski
    Free Member

Thats neat Trekster, thanks for the link

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any idea how many lumens this might equate to?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve heard estimates from 200-500. I gave it the ‘real world’ test and found it to be a good ‘thrower’ of light onto a distant object (next door’s errant dog) several hundred metres away in a field.

hammerite
    Free Member

how long do AAAs last with it?

righog
    Free Member

Those mounts treckster linked to are great for all kinds of torches, they dont look like it but they hold the light really well. For head mounts it is better to a have “straight” mount.

Ebay bike helmet bike mount

Cougar

I’ve been toying with getting some lights for a while to replace my (frankly, crap and ill-researched) Cateyes. How would this stack up to the DX outings, anyone know / have any recommendations?

As an aside, I always wondered about helmet mounts for cameras / lights: Does it not present an increased risk if you were to crash? Focusing impact pressure at a single point, or something?

D0NK

ooooh will have to get one of those

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bought last year’s one, I’d have guessed 100 lumen for it.

Don’t want to buy another that’s no better!

slugwash
    Free Member

If these are a similar weight to the 3xAAA Led torches that Lidls did last year then they’re probably a little heavy to use on your helmet, especially if held away from the helmet on a mount.

BTW, are the Aldi ones focusable?

bensales
    Free Member

Hundreds of these of Ebay, often in pairs, for less money…

Cree Q5 LED torches

I got a 300 lumen one for running with a Cree Q5 LED in, only cost a fiver.

Cougar

Is the Q5 the one to get, then?

It’s all so confusing, the tech constantly changes and DX have literally thousands to choose from.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

I take it the Lidl torch next week for a fiver will be naff by comparison?

There’s no details of power, range, battery life, etc given for it, just “6 LEDs and one Krypton bulb”.

Northwind

They’re nice wee torches though but I wouldn’t, for bike use… AAAs aren’t a great choice- heavy and they’ll struggle to supply the full voltage.

You could get a 501B torch, charger and a couple of half-decent lipo batteries for under £20- it’ll be lighter, brighter, and longer-lifed. Or for bike use you could spend a little more and get a P7 bike light (or an XML one, if you prefer range to spread)

Ironically most of my torches are good bike lights but crap at being torches- tempted to get one of these for those times when I just want a damn torch!

bensales
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Is the Q5 the one to get, then?

Mine is supposedly 300 lumen. It’s fine for running and projects a decent beam, but I wouldn’t cycle with it unless it was just to be seen with, rather than see where I’m going.

The T-series Cree LEDs are more powerful and would IMO make better bike lights. I think you’d want around 1000 lumens minimum to see where you’re going.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Aldi 5 watt torch this weekend’ is closed to new replies.