Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA – Lenovo Tab S8 £129.99 and £30 cashback
  • dannybgoode

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/lenovo-tab-s8-8-tablet-16-gb-black-10076498-pdt.html#cat-0

Makes it £99.99 for an 8″ Android fondleslab with a very decent spec (quad core Atom Baytrail, 2gb system ram, 16gb storage, SD slot and 1920*1200 screen).

Nice and slender it is too and light. For the price its super…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting. My HD Nook has decided it’s going to crash Chrome and other browsers, I suppose I should try that cybermod thing with it before giving in.

dannybgoode

For the money I’m very impressed, particularly with it having 2gb system ram. If web browsing is your thing then it’s particularly spritely.

Quicker in the bench marks than even the Samsung Galaxy Tab S and when I had a play with them in PC World this was borne out in use.

The only other one worth considering at the price is the Asus MeMo 7 at £79.99 but that only has 1gb system ram and a significantly poorer screen.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whats the camera like? How long does the battery last?

dannybgoode

Don’t know about the camera-can honestly say I never have and never will take a photo with a tablet.

As for battery life, it’s OK. Not spectacular but you should get 6 hours of non stop grumble with it and it’s light enough to hold in one hand.

There’s always a trade off at the price and the rest of the specs are so far ahead of anything else at the price. No sub £100 tablet has a decent camera and if you want more staying power then you’d need to drop down to the MeMo 7…

Edit: and have I mentioned web browsing is extremely fast. At least as fast as on my main PC.

jimmy

Bought one a month ago. Best thing I like is the dolby speakers. Don’t know if a lollipop upgrade is going to happen though.

dannybgoode

Q3 for Lollipop apparently…

oldboy
    Free Member

I bought one a couple of months ago for the full price – damn! Anyway, its a great tablet, faster than the crap Nexus 7 it replaced. Can’t speak for the camera as I haven’t used it, but battery life is about 6 hours.

JohnnyPanic

Getting fed up with how slow my Nexus 7 (v1) has become on lollipop now. I know I could revert to KitKat but fancying something faster and bigger without vast expense.

Anyone have any experience of this versus the hudl 2?

kimbers

Ive had a lenovo s6000 10 inch tablet for over a year now and its been absolutely excellent, still gfast, good screen. Very robust , Great battery life and still very quick despite being full of kids video, apps, games etc cameras fairly poor, but its a tablet so I’m not bothered !

cloudnine
    Free Member
    dannybgoode

Again the Hudl2 is very similar in spec to the MeMo 7 but with a slightly higher screen res. The MeMo 7 is faster though.

The battery life on both of those is likely to be a bit better than the Lenovo but they are both somewhat underpowered compared to the it which don’t forget has 2gb of system ram. This is important when a) you have lots of apps running and b) for future proofing.

For £99 I’d take the Lenovo any day, complete no brainer at that price. If you had to pay the usual full £149 for it then it would be a very tough call and I think on balance I’d either go for the MeMo 7 or push the budget for a Galaxy Tab S or Sony Z3 Compact Tablet.

JohnnyPanic

Cheers Danny. Had a better look at these now.
    Hudl 2 also £99, also 2Gb RAM, Processor looks similar, both Intel Atom quad core 1.86Ghz (S8) vs 1.83Ghz (Hudl2).

Hudl2 better battery life but heavier.
    Hudl2 looks like it has more sensors (incl ambient light)
    and a micro HDMI port if that’s important.
    Both screens are 1920 x 1200 but slightly bigger screen on the Hudl with a corresponding drop in screen res – fractional though.

Camers res slightly better on the S8.
    S8 due Lollipop upgrade in Q3 – Hudl2, not confirmed.
    Hudl2 comes with charger – S8, charger not listed.
    Hmmm.

dannybgoode

Thanks Johnny P. Got mixed up with the original Hudl. Given the weight of the Hudl2 I’d go for the Lenovo at the offer price. 100g extra is a lot of weight to be giving away. Over 400g for an 8″ tablet is hefty to say the least.

Hdmi out doesn’t bother me as I have a Chromecast but worth bearing in mind for those that don’t.

andyl
    Free Member

I think the Hudl2 is great – it is heavy but it feels solid.

Sadly mine has developed the clock problem where it loses about 10 minutes in half an hour. Only think left to try is a full reset and if that fails it is time to dig out the receipt 🙁

paladin

I’d go for the hurl, just for the Tesco warranty.

cloudnine
    Free Member

This is now £99 with £30 cashback = £69 .. and 2 year warranty from John Lewis

wwaswas

showing as out of stock for me 🙁

[edit] wierd – now showing as in stock.

[edit2] ordered, ta 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

Where’s this cashback?

found it https://lenovo-offers.com/uk/en/tabletcashback

wwaswas
    continuity
    Free Member

Oh my god I’m disgusted.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I emailed lenovo and the blue one which is in stock is also covered by the cashback offer.

mlpinto
    Free Member

I was tempted by one of these as it seems a bargain, but I’m put off by the comments on battery life – does anyone have experience of this vs a hudl2? I have a hudl2 but the only things I don’t like about it is a pretty short battery life.

Cheers.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cashback offer ends today if you are undecided.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I got one for £100 off Amazon, didn’t think I would also qualify for cashback but I have.

£70 – very good value.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Lenovo Tab S8 £129.99 and £30 cashback’ is closed to new replies.