Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • PSA : Garmin 800 Performance Bundle £210 on Amazon
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Thats cheap!!! Ordered )

Thanks

Vortexracing

does seem cheap, anybody know how much OS maps are for these?

munkster
    Free Member

does seem cheap, anybody know how much OS maps are for these?

Officially, the opposite of cheap 😉

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I paided £25 for the Maps )))

cozz
    Free Member

1:50k maps (garmin ones) are £118 on amazon

where can I get them cheaper then, as most people say the base map is not very good

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Same price with Wiggle –

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-noh-edge-800-gps-performance-bundle/
    Wiggle
    Probably more in the way of quidco/topcashback/British cycling cashback discounts to be had there as well.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ Actually, that price is for a “NOH” one, which means newly overhauled, which means it’s been returned. Still guaranteed though.

variflex
    Free Member

Bargain tastic, just what I was after…ordered.
    Only going to use this for road use so don’t need really detailed maps which is handy. Added bargain of getting the speed/cadence sensor and heart monitor included as I was looking at the 800 unit only last week at 226.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

dammit, just bought a 500 in the lightning deal (as a pressie) but this is a lot of extra kit and capability for the cash (the premium HRM is £40 and the cadence sensor £25 on their own). Hmmmm.

1:50k maps (garmin ones) are £118 on amazon

where can I get them cheaper then, as most people say the base map is not very good

their are “genuine” Garmin UK OS maps selling on ebay etc on micro SD cards for suspiciously little, and http://www.talkytoaster.com and openmtbmap.org etc have cheap or free open-source variations.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Really tempted to get one of those as I’ve missed out on the Garmin 30% off code from a few days ago. I wanted to get an Edge Touring since I have no use for the HRM strap and cadence sensor. Just want a unit that I could use to follow a plotted route with good battery life. I could still pick up the Touring model for about the same money, but it doesn’t have a barometric altimeter. Maybe I could get this one and eBay the HR strap and cadence sensor. Hmm.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Merry Christmas to me! Cheers OP 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

but it doesn’t have a barometric altimeter

what is the Edge Touring based on? The Edge 500 does have a barometric altimeter, I thought the touring was a spin-off of this (though no Garmin expert).

mudsoul
    Free Member

Crashtestmonkey: the Touring is based on the Edge 800, but official specs list the Touring Plus (£249) as having a barometric altimeter, while the regular Touring (£199) doesn’t. You can always use the altititude correction feature on Garmin Connect if your unit doesn’t have a barometric altimeter.

zilog6128

Nice one OP. I’ve been after a new Garmin for a while, this seems the best offer so far (and there have been quite a few recently!)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

well I’ve bought one, so thats 2 Garmins on route from Amazon, not decided what to do with them both 😯 🙂

MSP

Send back the one you don’t want.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it’s more a case of being presents for X, Y, or me 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Purchased, cheers.

fubar
    Free Member

£279 with maps from Halfords I presume you can knock off 10% british cycling discount (they had a 10% discount xmas and boxing day anyhow) then a few percent top cashback and it’s not looking too bad

bobmac892

crashtestmonkey – Member
    dammit, just bought a 500 in the lightning deal (as a pressie) but this is a lot of extra kit and capability for the cash (the premium HRM is £40 and the cadence sensor £25 on their own). Hmmmm.

What was the lightning deal price. My wife mentioned it but I’d already missed the deal so I’d be interested in buying the the 500 if you wanted to recoup the cost towards your 800.

Let me know.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

£279 with maps from Halfords I presume you can knock off 10% british cycling discount (they had a 10% discount xmas and boxing day anyhow) then a few percent top cashback and it’s not looking too bad

youre paying more for less (no HRM or cadence monitors, cost about £70 combined) but get overpriced mapping thrown in.

Bobmac thanks for the offer, FYI it was £89, but I have allocated them both as presents!

pacerc100
    Free Member

Thanks for posting this OP. It looks like a variety of maps are available on talkytoaster so what are people’s recommendations for both on and offroad mapping. Perhaps the base map is good enough for on road so just a separate map required for offroad ?.

fubar
    Free Member

youre paying more for less (no HRM or cadence monitors, cost about £70 combined) but get overpriced mapping thrown in.

Those of us who have previous Garmin GPS may well already have heart and cadence sensors. I had a look at open street map and within a couple of miles of my home I could see a number of missing public footpaths so I’m willing to pay a little more for more OS mapping. I think they are both good deals and suit different people.

bobmac892

crashtestmonkey – No problem

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thanks op.. been after one for a while 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think they are both good deals and suit different people.

to be fair Halfords “extra 10%” sales are pretty regular and if you can stack it with something like BC discount its a hefty price reduction. I bought this one as having originally bought an Edge 500 for £89 as a gift, I figured out if the recipient ended up wanting cadence and HRM they’re getting a lot more for my 🙂 money by getting the 800 bundle. The Edge 500 will go to someone else as a gift, so £300 spent on garmins and nothing for me….bloody PSA threads cost me a fortune…(the recipient uses STW but has been banned from coming on here til her birthday!).

sparksmcguff

Before I send this back to Amazon, is anyone else missing the magnate for the pedal/cadence sensor? And out of interest would a magnate from a cateye unit work?

zangolin
    Free Member

And out of interest would a magnate from a cateye unit work?

yes any magnet will work.

allthepies
    Free Member

The magnet in my pack was in a separate placcy bag to the actual sensor.

Flaperon

Anyone ordered one of the dodgy map packs from iOffer? Looks like they’ve done the difficult job of unlocking the normal maps.

(And, Ordnance Survey, if you charged a reasonable price for your product (considering it’s about £50 in a different bundle), people wouldn’t be considering other options or going straight to the OSM alternative. Which, ironically, uses your data anyway.)

ackie
    Free Member

Always wanted one of these so took the plunge. Ta OP!

being the cheapskate that I am (spending £200 on GPS!)

I have just downloaded the free OSM maps using this great website

I’ve started playing around with Garmin Basecamp.

Does anyone know how to use/’mount’ OSM maps in Basecamp for OSX/MAC?
    So I can start plotting some rides?
    Seems to be a bit of a fiddle unless you have the actual Garmin unit connected….

Help much appreciated.

convert

can’t you just plot them on the garmin connect website and upload them from there? What’s the advantage of using basecamp?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Many thanks to the OP, mine arrived today.

scotroutes

If it works anything like the PC/Win7 version of Basecamp then the simplest method is to install a copy of the maps on a USB memory stick (or other removable drive/media) and pop that in your Mac. Basecamp just assumes that it’s on your Garmin and will work with it just fine.

ackie
    Free Member

install a copy of the maps on a USB memory stick

Ta Scotroutes

What’s the advantage of using basecamp?

good point what is the advantage?

petrieboy

If your map is in the garmin and its usb’d to the PC, basecamp will pick up the maps. Basecamp is rubbish tho. Ridewithgps is much better.

scotroutes

FWIW, I use Basecamp all the time….. as a permanent record of where I’ve been.

sparksmcguff

Thanks allthepies and anyone else who answered. I’ve been very short sited – spotted the wheel magnate but didn’t click until I finally opened the bag that the two magnates were stuck together.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve been playing around with various free Open Street Map data files and applications today. I can now create OS “style” vector maps for the Garmin, contours included and routable too including offroad trails 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘PSA : Garmin 800 Performance Bundle £210 on Amazon’ is closed to new replies.