Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA for Marple / Strines are riders: Trail closure warning
  • nbt

After the wreckage caused by storms and poor construction the last tie this lot was rebuilt, Stockport Council going to close the valley bottom track from Windy Bottom Farm all the way to “Capri farm” (aka Greenclough Farm).

The descent known as Strawberry (Strawberry Hill is actually on the other side of the railway ) finishes on the trail to be closed, but the council have a lovely habit of not telling you about the closure at the entry point to a dead-ended trail, no, they only tell you when you reach the closure, so you have to turn round and head back up. Can’t recall offhand when the work is due to start but it’s soon.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Rode up past there twice over the past few days, on Monday there was a tractor stranded where the drainage pipe is exposed, I’d blown a tyre so had to wait amongst horses, other bikers and walkers for him to get out, took about 40 minutes.
    Went up there again today and there are signs up now but it’s currently still passable.

chambord
    Free Member

Oh damn I haven’t been out for ages and was planning to do a loop there after work tomorrow 🙁

EDIT: Can you still turn right at the bottom of strawberry hill descent?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m not 100% on the naming of the routes, but if you mean the climb that goes up to the golf course, yes that’s still open too.

chambord
    Free Member

I think we’re talking different places. I’ll take my bike to work anyway and give it a go..

nbt

No, if you check the map links the trail at the bottom of “stawberry” is suposed to be closed in both directions

Esme
    Free Member

Anyone know if this trail has re-opened yet?

And are there any other closures in the area? I know there’s a short diversion on the Sett Valley Trail, where a culvert collapsed. Also, a footpath closure at the Torrs, because of a rockfall. Anything else?

Esme
    Free Member

Just had a look at the council website. They’re about to close the bridleway from Marple Bridge towards Roman Lakes.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

The path you asked about is open but I cannot find a link to the closure.

Esme
    Free Member

Bridleway 80, closed from Monday

Thanks for the update about the “valley bottom track” 🙂

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Cheers. That’s the one that goes through the golf course, isn’t it?

Esme
    Free Member

No, I think it’s the low-level track, not far from the Goyt. Past the archaeological dig.

nbt

The original “closure” mentioned in this thread is Bridleway 158, running along the valley bottom from Roman Lakes towards Strines station

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/3006/431463/983033/Bridleway_158_Map

that has been resurfaced (quite badly, it won’t last) and is ope again

Bridleway 80 is Low Lea Road which links Marple Bridge to Roman Lakes, past the archaeological dig as Esme says

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/3006/431463/983033/mapbridleway80
    that’s closing soon for a short time it appears
    http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/3006/431463/983033/tempclosurebridleway80. Looks like it’s just the bit from the top of the hill down to the dig -although that has been resurfaced recently anyway?

Esme
    Free Member

That’s correct, nbt.

BW80 was closed yesterday morning (7 Nov) from the top of the hill, down past the dig, to the junction with Lakes Road. It looked as if they were fixing a localised problem, or maybe creating a drainage channel, rather than general resurfacing.

BW158 has been left as a muddy mess, so that’ll probably wash off quite quickly, to reveal the previous stony surface. But perhaps the recent work was to create better drainage channels, and not simply to re-surface or fix eroded sections?

beagle
    Free Member

On a related topic – how’s the bottom half of the descent through the Golf Course which spits you out on tBridleway 158? At SJ973872?

Has it broken up yet?

nbt

According to Mrs NBT (aka Bunnyhop) who rode it on Sunday morning, bloody brilliant 😀

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Bottom of golf course is running sweet and, as already mentioned, there is a bit of mud on the other one but I like it better now than it was before. Still enough rocks to keep you happy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA for Marple / Strines are riders: Trail closure warning’ is closed to new replies.