Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • PSA cheap tablets in Tesco
  • smudge
    Free Member

Anyone after a cheap tablet Tesco have reduced the price of their LG G Pad 8.3 from £240 down to £119.

Its got pretty good reviews review here

Bought one this evening, and really impressed with it plus having a slot to accept a micro SD card up to 64gb sold me.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks Smudge, nice one.

Made one of my daughters very happy and the other pretty miserable. Happy daughter wanted one of these very much but wasn’t prepared to spend £200 on one, miserable daughter got one as the entirety of her birthday present last month.

Great tablets, if I were to critique it they’re a touch laggy compared to Nexus devices no doubt due to semi-shonky LG Android skin. 8.3 is a very good inbetweeny size for a tablet, makes 7″ seem teeny and “too small” in comparison.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Thanks – very good deal :D.
    They also have a good price on Samsung Tab 3 7″ @ £79

LapSteel
    Free Member

Is this in shops or online?

hora
    Free Member

Ludditte here. Can you connect your android phone into this (basically use the large screen for internet using your phone as the source).

Bimbler
    Free Member

Is this in shops or online?

Tesco – G PAD – Online

frogstomp

Ludditte here. Can you connect your android phone into this (basically use the large screen for internet using your phone as the source).

Yes, if you can set your phone up as a wifi hotspot (most Android phones support this) and your phone data tariff permits tethering.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hora you can use your phone as a mobile hot spot or there are mirror cast type apps.

chris85
    Free Member

Seems a good deal but I’ve never seen the point in buying these ‘tablets’ with how good mobiles are nowadays, I mean I can do everything that thing can do on my HTC one right?
    Vodafone keep pestering me all the time offering me these tablets for free because I’ve been such a good customer! 😆 yeah right…
    So apart from it being bigger what’s the point? Or is that the point, I don’t get it.. 😕

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Seems a good deal but I’ve never seen the point in buying these ‘tablets’ with how good mobiles are nowadays, I mean I can do everything that thing can do on my HTC one right?

I’ve got a small tablet and a Samsung phone, the tablet rarely gets used. I tend to look at stuff on the phone as it’s always with me, always charged and easy. It’s just a ‘smaller’ experience, which doesn’t bother me that much.

hora
    Free Member

I dont have a hot-spot permissible tariff like that? Could I just connect the two via wire?

prettygreenparrot

@hora. No. The restrictions on tethering usually prevent any means of tethering: wire, BT, WiFi. 3’s ‘all you can eat’ tariffs offer unlimited data, but…

Mirroring the screen or VPN-ing into the phone from the tablet might be a way around it. Or you could get a MiFi dongle?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Vodafone keep pestering me all the time offering me these tablets for free because I’ve been such a good customer! yeah right…
    So apart from it being bigger what’s the point? Or is that the point, I don’t get it..

Size is the point. Phones can do everything that tablets can do and are usually higher spec but tablets are much better for consuming media, playing games etc on. Reading Comic books on Comixology and the like is just about do-able on a 5″ Nexus 5 but much better on a tablet. If you’re not going to do any of that then stick with the phone and don’t bother with a tablet.

hora
    Free Member

Mirroring the screen or VPN-ing into the phone from the tablet might be a way around it

Ah got it ta. It wouldn’t be alot of use – just evenings really and not downloading data so it wouldn’t ‘spike’/alert the provider anyway to possibly hotspottin

nickjb
    Free Member

Its in store too. Just picked one up. Good size

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mirroring the screen or VPN-ing into the phone from the tablet might be a way around it

Ah got it ta. It wouldn’t be alot of use – just evenings really and not downloading data so it wouldn’t ‘spike’/alert the provider anyway to possibly hotspottin

If you’re using it at home then you realise tablets are all about wifi?

stumpy01

Gah! Bought one of these a fortnight ago from Asda for £160 and thought that was a bargain!

At the time, Tesco were still doing them for £250.

It is a very good tablet imo.
    I had been debating getting a tablet for a while. The 7″ ones seem a bit small and the 10″ ones a bit unwieldy. This seems to fit nicely in the middle (funnily enough).

Bloody bargain at £120!

cp

sooo tempted!

flyingmonkeycorps

Right, it looks like these have a USB port that you can plug a stick into and read from right? So could I plug in a card reader and use it to back up an SD card to the Micro SD in the tablet?

If so I can just about justify buying one…

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m sure there are apps to get around networks not allowing tethering possible like these,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.tether
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

Might be worth looking into, or change your mobile network provider.

hora
    Free Member

Right I’ll get one at lunchtime

stumpy01

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    Right, it looks like these have a USB port that you can plug a stick into and read from right? So could I plug in a card reader and use it to back up an SD card to the Micro SD in the tablet?

It has a micro USB port. You can get an adaptor cable/plug that will allow you to plug a stick/card reader into and use it just like a mass storage device.

nickjb
    Free Member

Yes. Just tested it and it works fine. Great for taking proper pics with a camera then viewing them on a bigger screen

hora
    Free Member

Dumb question- (checked) 3 wont allow tethering unless you upgrade to their ultimate deal (starts a new deal).

Should I just buy a dongle only and will this plug into the tablet?

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchDevice;jsessionid=D1E8ECDD8BFA4F2DCEE4A404A7FC6BA8?tariff=3003

Or is there a better Pay as you go dongle for just internet that I can plug in to this tab?

flyingmonkeycorps

Awesome. Will pop into Tesco on the way home and see if they have one, that’ll be super handy for trips away and weddings now my MacBook has packed up.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is tethering that big of a deal? When out and about I tend to use my phone for a quick browse, or find some cafe wifi. I use wifi at home.

stumpy01

Trying to decide whether to nip to Tesco in my lunch hour and get my Wife one of these as a bit of a tech pressie….!

As useful as these PSA’s are, I would spend a lot less money if I never saw them….!

wwaswas

I wish this thread wouldn’t keep bobbing up to the top of the page 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

All gone online. Always going to be the way given it was on HKUD.

Which was probably for the best, as was considering getting one, even though I don’t really need one.

posiwev
    Free Member

Oh and don’t forget you get a tenner off using Tesco Direct and a bit of cash back through quidco 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Not sure how many will be in store but they had lots in my local this morning

allthepies
    Free Member

+1. Although I will have a look in my local store tonight 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah I’ll be having a Tesco Trek on the way home I reckon!

derek_starship
    Free Member

These are only 26p.

That’s a cheap tablet.

stumpy01

Woooo! Just gone and bought one from Tesco Bar Hill. They have quite a few there.

Weirdly, the packaging is a bit different on this one; not sealed like the one I bought from Asda and the tablet has no wrapping, whereas the one I bought from Asda had a polythene wrapper on it.
    Still has the screen guard on though, so all good.

tonyplym
    Free Member

They had at least a dozen in Tesco Roborough (Plymouth) at 8 this morning.

hora
    Free Member

stumpy01 why buy two?!

stumpy01

hora – Member
    stumpy01 why buy two?!

Bought one for myself a couple of weeks ago. Wife seemed a bit non-plussed when I mentioned getting one, but once it actually turned up she’s done a good job of hogging it.

So, I thought I’d get her one.
    If she doesn’t think she’ll use it, then I’ll just take it back and get my money back.

hora
    Free Member

Does it take a SIM card?

jon1973
    Free Member

I think all the sim/3G enabled tablets are significantly more expensive than then WiFi only ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘PSA cheap tablets in Tesco’ is closed to new replies.