Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA: BBC2 – The Fall of Singapore (and Pearl Harbour)
  • spacemonkey

Bloody interesting so far. Also very damning.

rkk01
    Free Member

Might try and catch that on iplayer.

Had two great uncles at Singapore. Both PoWs on the Burma railway. Both survived the jungle – one got torpedoed by the Yanks, the other made good in Aus.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s good stuff 🙂

spacemonkey

Very chilling.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Textbook example of underestimating the enemy.

spacemonkey

Textbook example of politics and standing getting in the way of justice.

CountZero

My dad was in Changi.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Missed the programme, I was born in Singapore

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bloody good planning by the Japanese – hit two mutually dependent targets within 24hrs of each other so neither can reinforce the other!

hora
    Free Member

Reading about this appalled me at how the British (and other Colonial powers throughout the region) treated the local population and screwed them over for commercial self-gain.

They wonder why on a wider-scope Indian went on to gain momentum with its eventual independence.

MSP

Reading about this appalled me at how the British (and other Colonial powers throughout the region) treated the local population and screwed them over for commercial self-gain.

Same way we have been treating the Middle east and Africa ever since, supporting despots to rape local resources at the cost of the people in the area, then feigning surprise when they turn against us.

hora
    Free Member

Yip. Most shocking was the Opium explotation of the Chinese population by British businessmen then the subsequent Opium war waged by the British Government to protect the nations interests. **** hell.

spacemonkey

What about those who believe we ‘encouraged’ the Japanese to hit PH in order to get the yanks involved?

hora
    Free Member

You mean the guy who was a contractor for almost 20yrs before PH for Japanese companies and still advised foreign regimes post WWII?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just had a look and this is on again on Wednesday night at 11:20 BBC2. Just set it to record on Sky+

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC2 – The Fall of Singapore (and Pearl Harbour)’ is closed to new replies.