Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • PSA – Bargin wooly hat from howies? ;-p
  • rubenlightfoot
    Free Member

as a bit of an insider, i’d like to say that howies are aware of some of the ‘issues’ (for want of a better word) with their recent stuff and have plans to make a lot of things better and get things back on track. change takes time, though.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ruben you/they need to go back to your/their roots! No more stupid priced nonsensical woolly hats and more practical well thought out clothes that last for good value of money!

I used to love Howies stuff and my NBL was my favourite riding top for years. Now I don’t even look at the ridiculous catalogue you send me.

rubenlightfoot
    Free Member

more practical well thought out clothes that last for good value of money

Spot on. We’re working to produce more things that fit this bill. R&D/Production/planning lead times are a bit of a frustration sometimes, but there’s good stuff on the way.

Now I don’t even look at the ridiculous catalogue you send me.

We’re looking to make our online stuff better in the future, while trying to produce fewer(but better) paper catalogues. To save on paper, transport miles and the risk of wasting resources by sending people things they’re not interested in.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My wife and I used send our catalogues back every time as we didn’t want one (and ticked all the boxes) as we look it up online. We still get them 🙁 So its good to hear you are sorting your catalogues out 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

@rubenlightfoot – Cheers for the mail 🙂

Clink

I’ve also bought stuff in past, but nothing in last 2 years. As above – need to return to well made, practical clothes and don’t change the styles every season!

ART

Ruben .. good to hear that someone is listening. Don’t usually join in on the regular Howies bashing thread … but seriously that email with the £55 beanie just got my back up as well. I have lots of Howies stuff of old – in recent years have only ever bought in the sale, but lately there’s nothing I’d want to buy even if it were reduced, cause it’s boring and severely – even if I squint at it – overpriced. Sort it out!

brassneck

To be fair the jeans are really really nice. Comfy, hard wearing and actually not an awful lot more than the usual suspects on the high street. My T shirts and sweat tops have stood the test of time too. Had some cords disintegrate around the waist band, but the mother in law fixed them, gawd bless er.

@Ruben – PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do short legs in your ranges! I can’t be the only hobbit in town!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahhem – yes I am wearing a pair of howies trousers in work today :). I do like their stuff as I have said in my previous posts but I do find most of the prices prohibitive 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

~

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ruben – good to hear from someone at Howies.

FYI I find the service second to none – have had returns sorted very quickly a few times and all queries answered immediately.

My wife, 2 year old son (smallest stuff just fits!) and I spend not far off a grand a year on your stuff so clearly like it – nice to see Merino/technical stuff coming back again – for a while it seemed like you were dropping it all and only doing “fashion.”

Some stuff IS OTT price wise, some seems okay. I like the lack of big logos on most stuff, the quality (apart from some button sewing) and the cut of much of it.

Oh and I like the catalogues too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Havign read that, I think you should do a garment called the “Surf Mat”.

Sounds like he’s been keeping the company afloat almost singlehandedly, so you owe him some kind of tribute really.

theboatman
    Free Member

I used to buy a fair bit of howies stuff, but I can’t say I have for the last 5 years. To be fair some of my old stuff is still going strong, but when I was down in cardigan on a long weekends biking, I had a rather tasty bowl of soup in the cafe under the howies shop, but could even work up the enthusiasm to go into the shop. I’m not shy of paying premium prices for nice kit, and don’t dislike howies, but stuff like that hat is silly and the rest of their stuff seems to offer nowt more than quite a few other brands now and it costs more.

Stoner
    Free Member

I spend not far off a grand a year on your stuff

two t-shirts and a pair of gloves?

psilocybe
    Free Member

i emailed howies last year (was drunk at the time and having a right proper rant sat in front of my pc) complaining about the prices and how they used to be loads better than they were etc. I got a phone call from one of the office staff the next day explaining loads of reasons why they thought they deserved to keep high prices – quality garments, portugese is good apparently, it was all codswallop tbrhwua.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I used to buy a fair amount of their stuff. Its become way too overpriced over the last year/18 months.

I did buy a merino top recently as the NBL classic was back in stock. Their merino stuff is the best quality IMO – I had a couple of the zip collar NBL tops for a couple of years – worn pretty much on every non summer ride. Great stuff.

Found myself shaking my head sadly when I got emailed the 55 pound beany this afternoon.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

two t-shirts and a pair of gloves?

Plus a pair of merino pants.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

saw you coming! seems appropriate

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

#
    dazzlingboy – Member

If Howies has gone from niche (we like niche here don’t we?) skate/bike inspired gear to w@nk designer gear aimed at the kind of people who buy jack Wills, then who are the new Howies?
    Posted 9 hours ago # Report-Post

Finisterre.

It’s not cheap either, but the quality is second to none.

LINK:
    http://tinyurl.com/5m7ffr

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Bargin wooly hat from howies? ;-p’ is closed to new replies.