• This topic has 191 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 192 total)
  • PSA: Amazon Prime Bods….Amazon Echo £79
  • Jamie
    Free Member

For next 6hrs (till midnight)

Amazon Linky

Edit…

Echo Dot – £35

Buy 3 Dots and get £20 off using code DOT3PACK at checkout.

So £85 for 3.

prettygreenparrot

I was trying to resist this but £35 isn’t that different from a cheap DAB radio. And with the radio skill it sounds like I might be able to say ‘alexa, ask radio player to play BBC radio 4’ and then, if thought for the day is on, ‘alexa, ask radio player to play BBC radio 6’. Just a shame it can’t play stuff from Apple music.

DrP

You just say “Alexa, play radio 4”.
    I use tune in radio add on.

THese are ruddy brilliant.

Annoyingly, I just spent £110 on a refurb echo for my son’s room.

I think I might buy another dot in prep for our kitchen renovation.

Then I’ll book into “echo anonymous rehab” as I really have a problem….

DrP

scaredypants

hypothetically, then, what might a chap need to get started – echo and dot or what ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Further info:

Buy 3 Dots and get £20 off using code DOT3PACK at checkout.

So £85 for 3. 😀

Obviously I would have added that to the OP if we had a proper forum with editing functionality 😉

jekkyl

what can it do that Siri can’t? – genuine question.

Aren’t you concerned that ‘they’ are using these devices to monitor citizens? not so genuine question.

Drac

Stop it I’m trying not to ignore it.

Aren’t you concerned that ‘they’ are using these devices to monitor citizens? not so genuine question.

Well if they want to hear what I’m discussing having for tea or what time I’ve got to pick the kids up I’m not concerned.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a Google home and do like it but am disappointed that it isn’t like HAL yet. Nor does it link with my Gmail and calendar. But it is a developing tech and will update as the ai improves since there’s no computing done locally. It’s really just a web enables speaker.

Jamie
    Free Member

Stop it I’m trying not to ignore it.

Ignore these instead:

15 Months of PS+ for £29.99

PS Pro for £349

Drac

Yes that is very tempting too.

I’ve 2 PS4s and Pro though.

GrahamS
    Jamie
    Free Member

Blimey. Anyone after a Chromebook….£599 normally.

GrahamS

what can it do that Siri can’t? – genuine question.

They provide an API that lets third-parties release their own “skills” for Alexa – something that I don’t think that Apple/Siri does.

allthegear
    Free Member

Apple are releasing the apis at the moment

Jamie
    Free Member

Apple are releasing the apis at the moment

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

DrP

What it does over Siri….

Well, it just sits there in my kitchen/bedroom/lounge, always waiting for my instruction.
    I sue mine 95% for playing music on..
    I used the bedroom one last night to add a. Calendar entry so I didn’t forget.

I’ve got a few smart light switches/plugs connected, and when I can’t be bothered to roll over and turn the light on/off, i tell Alexa to do it.
    I’m often asking it what’s IN my calendar that day, and also as a time for cooking.

I’ve yet to shop on it, but i make a shopping list…

I’m a multi format guy..love the iPad, love android phone..I did have google casts about the house, but I REALLY like the voice control function when selecting songs. THe ability to just shout at the radio, and it listen, is sublime…

DrP

convert

I used the bedroom one last night to add a. Calendar entry so I didn’t forget.

Does this sort of feature only work if you are, er, the type of person who likes living on your own? Or at least with a non tech savvy kind of partner? That’s a roundabout way of saying could I use it to put stuff in my calendar and Mrs C to put stuff in hers too?

molgrips
    Free Member

They can do more than one “profile” I think, not tried it though.

graemecsl
    Free Member

A shame it can’t be made to respond to “Computer’ do whatever.. In best Scotty voice of course.

Jamie
    Free Member

It can respond to computer….just not as Scotty.

Wake words are:

Alexa
    Echo
    Amazon
    Computer

convert

They can do more than one “profile” I think, not tried it though.

Thanks.

I have Sonos. Apparently sometime this year it will have an update to play nicely with Alexa. As a audiobook addict this will also be the moment Sonos plays with Audible so buying a dot cut price in anticipation might not be a bad plan.

graemecsl
    Free Member

So, I get to say computer set my alarm, play a particular tune, would it hook up to iTunes?

Not really happy to spend a red cent with Amazon, hate the dmaned company, but… 35 quid for that much verbal control in a house full of women who mostly ignore me.

wilburt
    Free Member

Where does it get its music from?

Can it access itunes?

GrahamS

Where does it get its music from?

Amazon Music, Spotify, TuneIn are built-in – other skills can be added.

It can also act as a Bluetooth speaker so you can just stream to it.

convert

Alexa already works with Audible:

But Sonos does not work with Audible (any more). When Sonos and Alexa plays, Audible and Sonos will play and I’ll stop walking around my own empty flat with headphones on like a total tosser.

Jamie
    Free Member
    Superficial
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve been waiting for this day. Thanks for the heads up – ordered.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Still seems gimmicky to me and I’m not into talking to bits of equipment, but still.

Personally I want the full Fire TV box to drop to a decent price, but they’re still doing it for £80. Could get the stick, which is down to £30, but the box does 4K, better storage, more powerful and does higher spec games (though not sure what). Did have better audio options, but might have changed with the newer stick by comparison. Also has Ethernet socket.

GrahamS

I think the Dot is a lot better value than the big Echo, provided you have a speaker to connect it to.

iancity1
    Free Member

Would defo be tempted by a Dot if they connected to my Sonos system, apparently the update to Sonos to allow the Dot to control the music is coming “sometime in 2017”. Do I order now and hope Sonos do as they say, or wait until the Sonos speakers are updated and then buy the Dot at maybe a higher price? Hmmmm

GrahamS

Does your Sonos system not have an “Aux Input” somewhere on it that would let you just wire in the Dot?

convert

The 3 and the 5 do but I have an army of ones, a playbar and a sub. So no line in for me currently.

iancity1
    Free Member

Yeah, 1’s only for me…

DT78
    Free Member

3 dots and an echo here…like the convience. can turn fans on whilst turboing

riddoch

I have a dot, is the audio worth the upgrade to the full echo?
    I have pure jongo speakers but they all play together so there is normally complaints from the living room when I play music in the kitchen.

GrahamS

I have a dot, is the audio worth the upgrade to the full echo?

The opposite from what I have read. e.g.

“The Dot maintains the Echo’s exceptional ability to recognise your voice while giving you the option of improving upon its biggest flaw, the sound quality, providing you’ve got an additional external speaker handy. “
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/amazon-echo-dot-1328595/review

somafunk

Cheers for the heads up, just bought 3 dots using the dot3pack code, another one for myself and surprise gifts for my folks and a mate.

riddoch

I have tried a couple of external peakers and get a lot interference when using the audio cable.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sale seems to be running till midnight tonight now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Amazon Prime Bods….Amazon Echo £79’ is closed to new replies.