Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • PSA : 2014 Pikes for £399 @ Merlin
  • rudedog
    Free Member

They are the RC version but by far the cheapest I’ve seen

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-pike-rc-forks-2014-70895.html

richwales

Is the damper the same as the rct3 apart from additional settings?

andymc06
    Free Member

Only 150mm. Not enough travel 😉

rudedog
    Free Member

Yeah – as far as I’m aware its the same damper, just doesn’t have the ‘pedal’ setting.

Rich
    Free Member

If only you could buy them without a tapered steerer. 👿

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Do these have low speed compression adjustment?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Anyone know the A2C measurement for the 26 option?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

532mm according to the other thread.

jairaj

Is the damper the same as the rct3 apart from additional settings?

From what I understand, nope.

The RC is similar to their older RL motion control damper. It doesn’t come with the Changer bladder style damper, only has a low speed compression circuit and I don’t think it has the rapid recovery rebound circuit either.

The Pike RC is basically a stronger version of the Revelation RL. So still a good fork. But not as game changing as the RCT3.

wl
    Free Member

jairaj – thanks for that, very useful. Possibly just saved me wasting £400.

rudedog
    Free Member

Do you have any links/info to say that the RC doesn’t come with the better charger damper? cheers

thedude
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is sure about the damper. I called merlin and they didn’t know as the forks just arrived. It would be great to get confirmation.

gapjump
    Free Member

save yr hard earned and get boxxers instead
    plush as a owls tits
    no regrets

jairaj

The SRAM website:

At the bottom where it says “products that use this technology” it only states RCT3.

Also think I’ve read it a few articles explaining more about the Pike when it first came out.

I’m pretty sure but not 100% maybe Simon or someone from Loco will pop by and help clear it up.

rudedog
    Free Member

OK, cheers the sram website doesn’t even mention the existence of the RC model though so I’m not sure how reliable that is.

I’d read on the mtbr forums that the only difference was the trail/pedal setting on the rct3 but again, that is only people saying, I can’t find anything official.

gapjump
    Free Member

I am in the industry
    very close to these products
    the T3 is a label
    get yourself hooked up with the RC
    and mash the trails hard

jairaj

I think I may be incorrect! I’ve found the Pike service manual and the RC is shown to have a bladder damper, see page 6

Pike service manual

As for whether it is still as sophisticated as the RCT3 but without the threshold settings, I don’t know.

thedude
    Free Member

I want to mash!

nealy
    Free Member

from here > http://reviews.mtbr.com/rockshox-pike-fork-and-monarch-plus-shock-sea-otter-2013

The RCT3 offers three adjustment modes, open, pedal and lock, and has a adjustable low speed compression in open. The simpler RC has an open mode to one with increasing compression all the way to lock. Both Charger damper versions feature their Rapid Recovery rebound damping technology, which keeps the fork high in its stroke in the softest part of the spring curve, without packing down from multiple successive bumps, letting the fork do the work instead of the rider.

I thought the RC didn’t have rapid recovery but apparently it does

thedude
    Free Member

I called them again and the head mechanic says old style damper. They did not sound sure at all though and they have not looked inside a set even though I asked. So I would say it’s still not certain it’s not a simplified condom damper inside.

jairaj

For what its worth Merlin get a lot of OEM stock. OEM stock can be anything, does not always follow what the online spec says and Merlin don’t always make it clear what exactly they are selling.

I got my set of 2010 Revs from Merlin. Turned out they were an OEM fork and didn’t have the dual flow rebound that the equivalent aftermark fork should have come with. They were still a bargain so I kept them but it was not made clear exactly what you were buying.

chestrockwell

Merlin don’t always make it clear what exactly they are selling.

Change the ‘don’t always’ to ‘hardly ever’ and you’ll have hit the nail on the head. 😉

I got some Revs sold as brand new, just the same as you’ll get from anywhere else, that quite clearly were not.

JohnnyPanic

jairaj – That link you posted, bottom of the page…

“Products That Use This Technology

Pike RCT3″

tomaso
    Free Member

This might help from BikeMag’s review from the launch

The RCT3 version features Open (with an adjustable low speed compression), Pedal and Lock. The RC system features adjustable low speed compression to Lock.

I thought that both RC and RCT3 have the charger damper, its just the RCT3 is more sophisticated or provides more options

More here bikemag RS Pike launch.

Paceman
    Free Member

Must resist 😕

eddie11
    Free Member

I had this a few months and could not get to the bottom of what’s in the rc at all. Only a few American websites have any crumbs of info. I saw one somewhere else at a good price and I accepted it would be OEM/grey import so thought ill have that but ask SRAM to clarify whats in them, and they said rc’s are not available in uk/aftermarket or some such almost to the point of refusing they exist. Wouldn’t me what damper it was. Didn’t fancy buying any after that.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I am in the industry
    very close to these products

you work in a shop, and are stood next to bikes fitted with Pikes?

thedude
    Free Member

I can’t understand why Merlin don’t just open a fork and look inside and put the details on the site. The guy on phone was saying sram don’t give them any info and they always have trouble telling people what they are buying. bla bla bla I guess I won’t buy them then.

daveh
    Free Member

I guess SRAM aren’t too fussed about helping Merlin with info as they’ve got hold of the forks through unofficial channels and are cutting out the agreed distribution network.

Northwind

I love gapjump.

chestrockwell

Just seen this.

The fork also debuts with the all-new Charger damper. The new sealed cartridge design uses an extruded bladder filled with 3wt oil that expands to contain the oil displaced by the fork as it moves through its travel. The design helps keep damping consistent by ensuring that no air mixes with the oil, even during rough and rapid descents.

RockShox senior design engineer Damon Gilbert notes that the extruded design of the bladder results in consistent wall thickness, with no seams that could act as weak points. Gilbert said the service interval for the Charger damper is approximately 200 hours and the bleed process can be done in less than five minutes.

The Charger damper is available in RCT3 and RC models. The RCT3 offers Pedal and Lock efficiency settings, with an Open setting working on a separate damping circuit with independent low-speed compression adjustment. The simpler RC damper makes do with low-speed compression adjustment with Lock setting.

Looks like the RC’s are the real deal. Interested now.

chiefgrooveguru

Considering I never use the ‘pedal’ setting I’d say the RCs look like a winner! How much to chop a 1 1/8″ headtube off my hardtail and weld on a 44mm can? 😉

svalgis
    Free Member

Looks like the RC’s are the real deal.

Gee thanks, you just cost me £399…

🙂

honourablegeorge

Has anyone ordered? Interested to know for sure which damper arrives.

hora
    Free Member

Wow, get these bought. Its akin to the 55 ti forks on wiggle a few years ago. You know the purple ones where people bougth them- rode them for a couple of years then advertised them —-> for basically the same price.

rudedog
    Free Member

I ordered them, and according to DPD’s gps tracker will be delivered in about 1 hour. I’ll report back soon …

funklenut
    Free Member

Just got mine through – 650s. Marked as RC2, come with a couple of the red tokens, minimal manual. Sticker on the leg indicates the rapid recovery rebound. I can’t tell if they have the bladder, don’t fancy opening them up incase I return them – bought on a whim, not actually bought a 650 frame yet!

hora
    Free Member

not actually bought a 650 frame yet!

Apart from a smidge higher arch- surely you could run them on a 26’er easily?

funklenut
    Free Member

My bike is a Hustler, so it’s a bit too old for these new fangled tapered forks!

thedude
    Free Member

Go on open it and have a look inside for us. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘PSA : 2014 Pikes for £399 @ Merlin’ is closed to new replies.