• This topic has 31 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PS3 Owners – HELP!!!!!
  • cb

I went to play this for the first time in a few weeks and the usual “update required” appeared. Pressed go and waited. It got to 99% complete and then froze – time after time!!

Can’t even get into the menus now as every time I turn it on, it starts the update again.

Anybody had this and more importantly how did you resolve it?

Thanks….and no, I don’t want an xbox!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

have you turned off your ps3 completely and unplugged it and started again? I got the update and it all went smoothly. Also i think that you can download it online onto your pc. If you then put it on a usb stick you can then select update from storage media and go from there. otherwise I don’t know what else you can do except keep trying

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ring Sony – they are very good and talking through solutions.

Saccades
    Free Member

Turn off your ps3, manually hold the button down on the ps3 until the light goes red.

D/L latest update from sony website on your PC and copy to USB stick.

turn off internet.

turn on ps3.

insert usb stick.

tell the ps3 to update via storage medium (instead of via internet).

make cup of tea.

should load up successfully – it’s also quicker than if you are using wi-fi.

Sidney
    Free Member

The last major update I did took a while – might have been around the time of the new black ops maps. First time froze, just kept trying and it worked eventually.

cb

Just as an update – the damn thing is borked!

Was working perfectly until the update, now Sony suggesting “an underlying” issue with the hard drive!

Saccades – thanks for the suggestion, tried many times but every time I power the PS3 on again, it goes straight to the “installing…” screen. gets to 99% and freezes again. Spent 30 minutes on the telephone with the Sony people but couldn’t by-pass this screen at all.

Bought in September 09 and has been fine. Don’t use the hard drive for storing much, just play games on it. Seems pretty crap to me that such an expensive thing can fall over after just 18 months use.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Did they offer you a recon unit at a discount price? When mine stuck they suggested various things (one of which worked) but also said that if it didn’t, I could by a like-for-like replacement for £110 or something – guaranteed for 12 months.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you can format the HD can’t you? Should be able to copy the stuff to a PC, low level format it then put it back…

Seems pretty crap to me that such an expensive thing can fall over after just 18 months use

Anything can break. The question is how often does it happen?

cb

molgrips – can’t access any of the menus to format anything!!

Will have to try and replace the HDD as Sony wanted 134 quid to exchange it for a refurb “like new” model which they would only warranty for 3 months!

molgrips
    Free Member

What I mean is, physically extract the drive, get a drive caddy from PC world, connect it to your PC, copy the contents to your PC’s drive, format the PS3 disk and copy the contents back, then put it back in your PS3.

If that doesn’t work try it again but without copynig stuff back – ie put a clean drive back in.

jon1973
    Free Member

What about this consumer law about products having to last for a reasonable amount of time, and the whole 12 month thing being a bit misleading as a cut off for repairs.

18 months doesn’t really sound reasonable, shouldn’t Sony repair for nothing? I think this sort of thing has been discussed on here before.

cb
    Cougar

low level format it

Low level formatting an IDE drive will kill it. I think you mean something else?

Saccades
    Free Member

Ignore the PC blokes on here, they don’t know what they are talking about. Apols to molgrips, he’s not too far off the mark.

Switch the ps3 off, Remove the HD, do not remove it from the cage (you can do it, but you have no need to, and the screws are very, very soft) btw this bit does not invalidate the warrenty, it’s designed for randoms to upgrade the HD so long as it’s a laptop type compatible.

There are videos on yahoo of how to remove the HD, very easy, the only tricky bit is the screws which you don’t need to do.

Put the HD back into the PS3 and power on.

The PS3 autoformats any new HD, so pre-formatting on a PC is a waste of time. It also means that you cannot swop between HD’s and you have to backup by telling the PS3 you are backing up and using another external HD or USB stick.

The PS3 has a bog standard OS permently on it – if this is borked then you are borked – otherwise you should then be able to use your orignal USB stick D/L of the update to get your PS3 up to date and working.

If the HD doesn’t format do you have a spare one bobbing about you an stick in as a temp measure to see if it is the HD.

I would have thought however that the sony guys would have told you to do this? if there is an underlying problem with the HD that is, that might be tech speak for “bugger, the ps3 has died but we are blaming the customer”.

cb

Thanks Saccades I’ll try that next. No I don’t have a spare HD but it seems that 32 quid posted will get me one from Ebuyer.

A bit of Googling and it seems this has happened to a fair few people.

jon1973 – not sure about the Consumer Law thing – EU Directive states things should work for 2 years but not sure how that has been incorporated in the SOGA?

Cougar

Ignore the PC blokes on here, they don’t know what they are talking about

*raises an eyebrow*

I don’t know about fixing the fault, but that’s why I wasn’t commenting on it.

cb

Anyway…

Removed HD, kept it in cage. Shoved it back in and powered up.

Straight back to the install screen!!

Seems I have an ex-PS3!!

Thanks for trying guys!

Cougar

In honesty, I’d be tempted to try Sony’s support again. Could just be that you got a tech who “wasn’t the best,” and the line that there’s an “underlying issue with the hard drive” sounds like a classic fob to me.

dan1980
    Free Member

Each hard disk is locked to a particular PS3 unit, so unplugging it, and sticking it back in does nothing. The PS3 will only ask if you want to format a drive it does not recognise it. (i.e. it’s a new drive or has come from another PS3)

You should try and get hold of a 2.5″ SATA IDE drive (whatever size you want – bigger is better but more expensive)

Stick this in, and the operating system on the PS3 will see the new hard disk, and prepare it for use. You may need to have a new version of the firmware on a USB stick to get it to update, but if you have one of the old “fat” consoles, you should be ok.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ignore the PC blokes on here, they don’t know what they are talking about. Apols to molgrips, he’s not too far off the mark

I am only guessing and suggesting things that I might try if it were me – I hope the OP realises I am not an expert!

Cougar is tho, he really does know what he is talking about…

Each hard disk is locked to a particular PS3 unit, so unplugging it, and sticking it back in does nothing.

I’d have guessed that might be the case – hence formatting it to see if you could tricky it to reformat. If you do format it though it wno’t try to upgrade itself since it’ll have no upgrade data to work on… (again a guess)

dan1980
    Free Member

Just one more thing….

You won’t be able to recover the contents of your existing hard disk as suggested above, as the drive is encrypted by the PS3

This would be a suitable hard disk as a replacement Aria – Samsung 320 GB 2.5″ SATA drive

piemann
    Free Member

getting PS3s fixed for free

This site might help you sort something out.

cb

BIG THANKS for that link Piemann!!

I had seen the site before but not the PS3 specific bit. John Lewis were sheepish on the phone but have at least promised to look at it with a view to repair foc.

cb

UPDATE

The link from Piemann is interesting. I called John Lewis Customer Services and spoke to a guy who advised me to take it back to the store and they will attempt to fix for free. I expected a battle and I got it! They didn’t want to know, so I mentioned Sale of Goods Act etc as advised on the link from Piemann – “I’ll go and get a manager” was the response…

Came back with what I assumed was the manager and he puffed out his chest and started quoting SOGA (wrongly). I argued to no avail so asked for his details so that I could take it further with the head office, which to be fair is what I expected.

He did however, admit that i had been misled over the telephone so he offered half of the replacement cost that had been offered by Sony – which he rounded up to 70 quid. Initially I refused as my right to a repair wasn’t being met. Having thought about it, I can probably get it repaired for 70 quid so I accepted and left. Turned out he was just a Tech Support muppett and not a manager which irritated a little so will take that up with JL.

Moral seems to be – fight for your rights even if warranty has expired, EXPECT store staff to be ignorant of the law and fob you off but hold your ground and threaten small claims if the retailer digs its heels in.

Overall, peed off that a 230 quid console breaks so easily but not entirely unhappy at a 70 quid refund.

Cougar

Did you see the link I posted re: John Lewis in your other thread?

cb

FURTHER UPDATE

I know this is getting tedious but it might be useful for someone with similar problems…

I have now tried a new HDD but to no avail. Error message 8002F225 corrupted data.

There is a thread that went to 137 pages (>1500 post) on the official Sony Playstation forum. The mods shut it down!!

Turns out anyone that had the 3.56 version 1 firmware on their machine now has an ex-PS3. Its possible that a new firmware patch might solve the problem but Sony is refusing to acknowledge it was its update that caused the issues so they won’t comment on that. In fact, the guy on the helpline said that it was “inevitable” that PS3s break after 18 months and insisted that it was a hardware issue!! An independent repair outfit told me that they had numerous examples of this happening in the last few weeks – all the same issue.

I don’t have the financial resources to take Sony on but needless to say I’m changing my mind about the xbox!! Apart from Watchdog – which starts again next week, I can’t think of anything else that I can do.

At least it simplifies the choice of new TV – won’t be a Sony!!

jon1973
    Free Member

“inevitable” that PS3s break after 18 months

I’ve had mine for well over 2 years without an issue. I’m up to date on firmware releases and played it yesterday without any problems.

Turns out anyone that had the 3.56 version 1 firmware on their machine now has an ex-PS3

When did this come out?

cb

jon – not sure when, its up to 3.60 now but that didn’t fix the issue. Apparently Sony released a 3.56 version 2 very quickly after version 1 but that also had failed to fix the issues. I guess its down to the luck of the draw – if you hadn’t switched on your PS3 during the period that 3.56v1 was current, you’re likely to be fine.

jon1973
    Free Member

yes, just been looking at some of the forums on this one. I’ll have to check which version of the firmware I’m on.

I do get slightly annoyed by the fact it won’t let you continue using the system until you’re completely up to date with the firmware. Looks like I’ve been lucky on this one.

cb

Just an update for anyone interested…

I had pretty much given up and was about to buy the xbox when I sent Sony a link to the thread complaining about the issue on their own forum. An about turn later and a new (refurbed) machine has arrived free of charge!

Cougar

Wow, that’s impressive. Just a shame you’d to jump through hoops first! Glad you got it sorted.

Drac

Excellent service.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PS3 Owners – HELP!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.