Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • PROTEST TONIGHT 6PM BOW ROUNDABOUT
  • Bez
    natrix
    Free Member

bump

ds3000
    Free Member

Used to ride/work round there – extremely dangerous roundabout, RIP to all those killed. If ever there was justification for separated bike lanes it’s here.

Kryton57

Good grief. Someones died, let them rest respectively and their families grieve rather than using their last place in this world to incite a protest.

Have a think about how to do this and do it in a few weeks time when a mourning period has passed.

RIP.

cybicle
    Free Member

Have a think about how to do this and do it in a few weeks time when a mourning period has passed.

When everyone’s conveniently forgotten about it? Far from being ‘disrespectful’ as you seem to suggest, it’s actually an attempt to not let yet another cyclist die in vain.

Somewhat off my normal commute, but will try to get along to support. Too many deaths at this one spot alone, well overdue for something to be done about it.

Thanks for the heads up, Bez,

Bez

I’d just like to go on the record as saying if I’m ever killed on the road through the fault of rotten highway engineering, rotten driver training or rotten law enforcement, then if no-one protests to try to prevent the same happening to others then I shall come back and haunt the lot of you. And if my family were to look back on a lack of protest and say “I’m glad no-one made a fuss for others’ benefit” I’ll be back to haunt them as well.

I’m struggling to think of a family of one of the victims who haven’t supported activism for protected cycling infrastructure. Debbie Dorling, for instance, was at the last Space For Cycling ride giving her support.

cybicle
    Free Member

Well said Bez. Action, not apathy, is what’s needed. Better to go and make your protest publicly felt, than sit around anonymously moaning about thing in the internet.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s absolutely the right time.. The roads are becoming a bit of a war zone at the moment if the number of cycling deaths is anything to go by..

A polite shuffling about of disgruntled prats on bikes next month will be as shallow and ineffective as a **** sit down protest picnic in the park..
    A line can be drawn here and this will be a powerful gesture, especially if people of kryton’s mindset can get involved.. Enough is enough

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A polite shuffling about of disgruntled prats on bikes next month will be as shallow and ineffective as a **** sit down protest picnic in the park.. Critical Mass ride

theflatboy
    Free Member

I would be honoured if five cyclists turned out to protest about my untimely death on the road, let alone hundreds.

riderideride
    Free Member

I live just down the road,an never use that roundabout,I use the flyover,so many cyclist killed in last two weeks weird !

Bez

Hundreds? There were about 5000 of us last time. I hope they get good numbers tonight.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll be there, just up the road from me…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Bez – Member

Hundreds? There were about 5000 of us last time.

Ok. 😕

project
    Free Member

I’d just like to go on the record as saying if I’m ever killed on the road through the fault of rotten highway engineering, rotten driver training or rotten law enforcement, then if no-one protests to try to prevent the same happening to others then I shall come back and haunt the lot of you. And if my family were to look back on a lack of protest and say “I’m glad no-one made a fuss for others’ benefit” I’ll be back to haunt them as well.

So very well said Bez, if only i lived closer i would be there.

CRITICAL MASS TYPE RIDE IS WHATS REQUIRED,AS SOMEBODY SAID ABOVE.LOTS OF MEDIA ATTENTION AND HOPEFULLY DELAYS FOR ROAD USERS,TO SHOW THEM WE HAVE SOLIDARITY AGAINST THE NEEDLESS DEATHS ABD INJURUIES MOTORISTS CAUSE, ALONG WITH CRAP ROAD DESIGNS.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If this happens to me, please feel free to be **** furious and to protest en-masse. Thanks

miketually
    Free Member

If you leave too long, someone else will have been killed and you’ll have to start the mourning period again.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m very much on the side of being vocal about this. I think Critical Mass is counterproductive, in no small part because it’s not a protest about anything specific (or at least that’s how it’s regarded externally) and just seen as the usual stereotypes trying to annoy other road users.

A big ride for this would get media attention and would have a very specific target which people could understand. We are getting closer to critical mass (ironically given my comments above) where many if not most people now know someone that cycles be it for commuting or leisure.

annebr
    Free Member

If I was in the area I’d go to this.

Hope it goes well.

scotroutes

All of that.

cybicle
    Free Member

Just about to head over to Bow. Come along if you can make it; more numbers means a greater voice. I’ll be on a silver/blue Trek 7300 ss ratbike with carbon fork if anyone wants to say hi/chat.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Can we have a report from anyone who manages to get there please?

kimbers

Unfortunately I’m bikeless tonight. Would love to see some real change in cycle planning in London Borris be bold make London a motor vehicle free city

The real benefit would be in lives saved from pollution

Kryton57

FWIW, I didn’t say don’t do it – I’d join in also. Just not within a few hours of that poor young ladies death.

Cycling issues won’t go away in a few days, nor will they be fixed in a few days either.

But there you go, that’s just my opinion.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Has everyone joined CTC and written to their MP? More numbers means a greater voice.

rOcKeTdOg

via @London_Cycling

mashiehood
    Free Member

Seeing that picture has put a lump in my throat _ RIP to all who have fallen.

Kryton57

Just heard you all on LBC radio, good to here the media being positive….

grantway
    Free Member

Used to live there for many years
    Became worse for riding around/on/off the round a bout after they put in the raised curbs.
    If the vehicles get to close you cannot escape and simply have no where to go.

Would be best if the bikes go onto the paved areas outside of the round a bout
    rather than use the actual roads.

On another note make these larger aggregate type lorries exempt for driving certain times
    Like they used to do many years back.

hh45
    Free Member

I’d just like to go on the record as saying if I’m ever killed on the road through the fault of rotten highway engineering, rotten driver training or rotten law enforcement, then if no-one protests to try to prevent the same happening to others then I shall come back and haunt the lot of you.

That has always been my sentiment – word for word, great stuff. I was driving down the A12 at 9:15 this morning and saw all the queues and wondered if it was another dead cyclist. its quite unbelievable why Boris has not dealt with this junction – its just a load of concrete – not some Listed or historic space that no-one wants re-arranged. I like Boris but don’t understand this.

scotroutes

Having no idea what this was about, I just watched the following Youtube clip

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9AWqo7O-s[/video]

Seems like all categories of road users are just ignoring the signals?

matt_outandabout

Look carefully Colin – lights on left are for cycles. Lights on right (and hidden behind bikes ones) are for vehicles.

kimbers

Borris ditched ken’s cycle superhighway plan that would’ve meant a genuine segregated cycle network instead he had some bits of road painted blue. He then claimed kens bike scheme as his own and handed Barclay’s the most amazing advertising deal London’s ever seen

He has closed down pollution monitoring stations and covered up smog alerts as well as axed the western congestion extension and ditched the supper polluting car tax ken also proposed

His rep as a champion of cycling is based on his canny PR stunts rather than his actions

scotroutes

There’s one cyclist on the pavement early on and another goes through the “cyclists” red light later on. Of course, you’ve then got cars and vans trying to “beat” the lights too and filling up the ASL 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

wish I’d known about this before I got home, I would have definitely gone.
    I wonder how many deaths caused by tipper trucks and similarly sized lorries would not have happened if those large HGVs were banned from being on city roads during peak commuting hours.

matt_outandabout

Ah yes, the ASL, just more room to sneak further up as 10′ means you get to the office earlier…

Bez

“There’s one cyclist on the pavement early on”

That seems very much like the wisest way to deal with the deadliest piece of cycling infrastructure in the country.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Any coverage from last night?

asterix
    Free Member

Awful news – sympathies to all the families involved. And well done to those on the vigil.

Not being a city boy, I’m glAd I haven’t come across that system at Bow. Hows it meant to work? If a cyclist has a green light does he/she still have to stop just a few meters up the road at the roundabout entrance proper? Or can they just go onto the roundabout safely?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘PROTEST TONIGHT 6PM BOW ROUNDABOUT’ is closed to new replies.