• This topic has 53 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Problem with adverts
  • councilof10
    Free Member

I keep getting transferred to a page with the following text, is it a rogue advert?

Your connection is not secure

The website tried to negotiate an inadequate level of security.

sportbestshop.com uses security technology that is outdated and vulnerable to attack. An attacker could easily reveal information which you thought to be safe. The website administrator will need to fix the server first before you can visit the site.

Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY

wwaswas

I got redirected to a tvchannel page when I first loaded stw and beforeI logged in today.

I email tech@stw though to report it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve emailed tech this morning, maybe about the same redirect.

councilof10
    Free Member

I’m using firefox and there seem to be a lot of issues today. Even when I don’t get that redirect, the site just grinds to a halt and I have to force quit…

wwaswas

a ‘P’ is your friend 🙂

newsfromthefront
    Free Member

Can’t say I was best pleased, when my covert viewing at work, re-directs to some f**king betting site which flags up as inappropriate to our IT dept! Great start to a Friday morning!

councilof10
    Free Member

a ‘P’ is your friend

When you get banned as often as me, a “P” isn’t a wise investment. 😉

wwaswas

I’d keep your head down and stop complaining then 🙂

councilof10
    Free Member

I’d keep your head down and stop complaining then

I can’t, I’m just an entitled troublemaker… 😉

tuttonp
    Free Member

On the For Sale forum I am being redirected to a malware page advising I have a trojan installed, this was a redirect from For Sale forum to sportsbest.com to limeclick.com and them onwards to a fake anti-virus site. Very bad 🙁

scotroutes

Have you reported it?

tuttonp
    Free Member

I’m not sure how, tbh

Mister-P
    Free Member

Email tech@singletrackworld.com

km79
    Free Member

Everytime this comes up (normally at weekends when no one is around to fix it) it’s brought up that ad revenue from the forums keeps everything else afloat. Why not ditch the magazine then and invest in the forums? Spamming us with dodgy ads is subsidising a lifestyle business for a few folk, maybe if the forum was better run then a lot more people would pay for it.

scotroutes

I still can’t ever recall this being said/written. I’d love to have it clarified, though I’m happy to pay my £15 pa just for the forum and never read the magazine articles.

sbob
    Free Member

The forum is the resource for me as well, not interested in the magazine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    The forum is the resource for me as well

What value do you put on this resource?

pitduck
    Free Member

lol

Drac

Everytime this comes up (normally at weekends when no one is around to fix it) it’s brought up that ad revenue from the forums keeps everything else afloat.

Has it?

scotroutes

Has it?
    [/quote]It has been “brought up” more than once. However, I’ve yet to see the source 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just reminded me I needed to renew the sub, done.

Decent value imo, for 15 quid, I get to spout nonsense on here(apologies 😆 ), ad free, and I get all the magazine pdfs. Happy days!

It’s a good forum/community, one I don’t mind supporting.

km79
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Everytime this comes up (normally at weekends when no one is around to fix it) it’s brought up that ad revenue from the forums keeps everything else afloat.

Has it? [/quote]Pretty much yes, maybe if you spent as much time reading them as closing them you’ll have noticed. Whether it’s true or not is another question. Maybe someone who knew would clarify, but I doubt it.

sbob
    Free Member

What value do you put on this resource?

Whilst it’s more important to close discussions and delete posts than it is to stop spamming users with shitty ads and redirects, very little.

Turn the ads on and have a look at what the forum looks like, for a minute I thought I’d been redirected to LingsCars. 😆

pitduck
    Free Member

Whilst it’s more important to close discussions and delete posts than it is to stop spamming users with shitty ads and redirects, very little….this all day

scotroutes

Duplicate threads on any subject are routinely closed. It stops users spamming the forums with the same stuff over and over again and means that those of us paying for access don’t have to scroll past them all. As for closing discussion – you what now?

In fact, maybe there could be a special sub-forum for threads complaining about ads, the we wouldn’t have to see them at all.

sbob
    Free Member

In fact, maybe there could be a special sub-forum for threads complaining about ads, the we wouldn’t have to see them at all.

You’d only need one sticky at the top of the page… 😉

km79
    Free Member

Doesn’t stop you clicking them and joining in though…

seosamh77
    Free Member

You’d only need one sticky at the top of the page…

you only need to pay 15 quid. 😉

That’s like:

£1.25 a month
    £0.28 a week
    £0.04 a day.
    And based on 10,000 incoherent ramblings a year. £0.0015 per post! 😆

sadexpunk

said it before and ill say it again….. £15 a year for this forum is a ‘kin bargain!

scotroutes

Think of it as part of the (free) service 🙂

Drac

Pretty much yes, maybe if you spent as much time reading them as closing them you’ll have noticed. Whether it’s true or not is another question. Maybe someone who knew would clarify, but I doubt it.

So that’s a no then other than your own speculation. The Ads help keep the forum afloat, help not cover the cost.

To try and keep track of what is going on we close duplicate threads on these or we have several different, it’s better to have on thread where people can discuss the issues to try and narrow it down.

sbob
    Free Member

you only need to pay 15 quid

No I don’t. 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

Enjoy the ads then! 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

you only need to pay the 15 quid extortion 😐

sbob
    Free Member

No need! 😀

pitduck
    Free Member

what adds 😆

sbob
    Free Member

I’d love to know how much money the ads generate.
    I only have experience of helping to run one forum/website and we chose a different route to cover costs, but the point is it worked.

seosamh77
    Free Member

pitduck – Member
    what adds

You should read the rules. I’d imagine most are quite aware of your point, the promotion of that point is a different story though..

pitduck
    Free Member

You should read the rules, and pay the ransom? 😆

Cougar

I only have experience of helping to run one forum/website and we chose a different route to cover costs, but the point is it worked.

How many salaries came out of those costs?

You should read the rules, and pay the ransom?

You should read the rules as it’s an effective way of avoiding deleted posts and potential bans.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Problem with adverts’ is closed to new replies.