Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pro2 Rebuild
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Not sure if I’m missing something here, being really stupid, or I bought the wrong thing. I have a set a Pro2 Evo hubs. I’m doing a 10mm conversion on the rear, so I bought what I though was the right kit, but after spending the last half hour trying to figure out why my freehub was wobbling I noticed the new axle is actually skinnier than my old quick release one.

New axle right, old axle left.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Liftman

I thought with the evo hubs it was just the end caps you had I change, are you sure you haven’t bought a standard pro2 conversion kit

danielgroves
    Free Member

Thats exactly what I’m wondering. Packet just says 10mm rear conversion on it. Doesn’t specify which model exactly.

Were the axles skinnier i the older ones?

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ve bought a pro2 axle….not a pro2 EVO axle.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks. Shall get that sent back. Can anyone link me to the right one for using one of the 10mm superstar axles? I don’t want the embarrassment of ordering the wrong thing again 😳

sterho1
    Free Member

i’m sure you just need the end caps
    here

nicksee
    Free Member

I converted my evo hub to 10mm the other week, all you need is the end caps as mentioned above, no swapping of axles!. im also using the superstar 10mm quick release which has worked no problems at all 😉

danielgroves
    Free Member

Damn, after buying the whole kit for rebuilding a hub as well, non of the bearing presses are the right size 🙄 Successfully bodged one for long enough to rebuild my freehub into a working piece again though.

Those are half the price of what i had to pay for what I got as well. Just to confirm, it would be the Bolt-thro not the bolt-in that I need?

nicksee
    Free Member

was just about to edit post, you need bolt thru. Hence the cheaper price as its just the end caps!

edit: cheaper and in stock link

rob-jackson
    Free Member

If you have a pillar drill then drill then end caps out to 10mm

danielgroves
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. First time I’ve ballsed up like that before!

Rob, unfortunately I don’t, otherwise that would be a good shout.

mrelectric

So std thin QR Pro2 (not EVO) would need both new axle AND end caps for SStar 10mm QR to fit?

BadlyWiredDog

So std thin QR Pro2 (not EVO) would need both new axle AND end caps for SStar 10mm QR to fit?

Yes – they sell them together. If you think it through, the 10mm bolt has to go through the end-caps to run through the axle and it ain’t going to fit through a standard QR skewer-sized hole. Easy enough job, though possibly worth changing the bearings as well if the hub’s had much use.

Also, I wasn’t very impressed with the SS 10mm QR tbh. I broke one and they don’t seem to give huge clamping force. If you can run to it, the metal-handled DT Swiss 10mm RWS is pretty good – unlike the original resin-handled one which may as well have been made of chocolate…

mrelectric

Cheers BWD; that’s what I figured. End nuts sits on 10mm OD axle, so yes….
    Just rebuilt the hub so missed a trick, doh! Though as its on my Marin Rock Springs TARA, its the whole rear end that are the real wiggly bits…

Just a thought, does someone do a heavier duty QR skewer to fit the full ~ 6mm inner diameter of the std QR axle? Ought to give some improvement…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pro2 Rebuild’ is closed to new replies.