Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Prince 2 Practitioner – any extra advice?
  • astura
    Free Member

I have my Prince 2 Practitioner exam in a weeks time, I have all week off to study – I have some online learning (Prince 2 Passport) which steers me into the book at different stages. Is there any tips or advice anyone can give me before I go in to the exam?

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

Annotate your book and pay particular reference to the glossary, i did a 5 day course and we spend the whole of the 4th day doing this, also make sure you the difference between a risk and an issue.

Apparently annotated books sell for a fair few quid on Ebay.

Cheers

Nick

astura
    Free Member

Do you find that mock exams where any use?

sc-xc

I found the Practitioner a walk in the park compared to the foundation.

As above, tab your book. We were sent a link from the training company telling us specifically which pages to tab, which bits of text to highlight etc…

I found that I could find almost word for word the ‘question’ in one of the highlighted areas of the book – this made it pretty easy to work out which stage you should be focussing on.

We also drew the end to end diagram in the front cover of the book.

Good luck, when you pass it next week you can go back to disregarding 80% of it and use the common sense that has got you this far 😉

br
    Free Member

Remember that once you pass you’ll never actually ever do a project where they follow it properly…

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

Mock exams help for timing, i.e. you get better at navigating the book for the relevant information/answers

astura
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks, where can I get that link from 🙂

barkm
    Free Member

tab the book (you have got one right?), especially bits you don’t really want/need to commit to memory.

I did the course/exam with QA, and the instructor put up a ‘schedule’ on the whiteboard for the exam of where you need to be at what time, it proved to be invaluable as the time can be tight. So ‘know’ the exam format and time allowed, it’s so easy to get bogged down on one question.

Draw a high level diagram of the end to end lifecycle in your book somewhere (permitted), which can act as a map.

jamj1974

Forget your practical knowledge gained before – ingest the material and only use that when answering the questions.

astura
    Free Member

The prince 2 passport I have been using along with the book has stepped me through. At the end of each module it gives me Q and A for that section which I haven’t done to bad with until yesterday and I completely fluffed the business case theme and the risk theme ( to be honest I thought I was ok with those ), I’m not a great reader though – my mind drifts terrible when reading but I’m getting there. The picture seems a real good idea because I believe that would help quite a bit just to keep me on track – especially with the roles. One thing Iv found already with the example Q and A questions is that those True True False False questions are a nightmare. My exam isn’t for another week now so il just cram some more, I plan to do around 7hrs a day so hoping that will be enough.

climbingkev
    Free Member

What jamj said. Somebody has reinvented common sense with diagrams, funky terms etc and managed to sell the idea. I imagine they’ve done petty well out of it too!

I can remember one exam question being made null and void. It was a spot what’s wrong with this process diagram, which was riddled with errors, apparently due to a printing mistake. As in, no we didn’t mean that error we meant this one which you can’t see as it’s not printed… Turned into a bit of a farce. As said above annotate your book and know your way around it. I did the intensive course and can’t remember revising at all.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I must as we were HEAVILY guided in what the questions were going to be and books annotated accordingly. Maybe the Ethos on an intensive course is a little different?!

Davidian
    Free Member

Has anyone used The Knowledge Academy for this type of training? Their Prince2 course looks pretty cheap…..but their website looks a bit dodgy to me.

http://www.theknowledgeacademy.com/courses/prince2-training/#more

jfletch
    Free Member

In reality if you have the book to look up the definitions and a tiny bit of common sense then the exam is a piece of piss.

franksinatra

I use Prince 2 in the same way I use MS Excel. Regually use about 5% of its functionality, occasionally dabble with another 5% to help out with something tricky, then happily disregard the othr 90%, content in the knowledge that is is there in the background if I ever need it.

Good luck. If you are taking studying that seriously, you will be fine.

drslow
    Free Member

Judging by the amount of duplicate threads you’ve started on the same topic you should pass Prince 2 with no problems

astura
    Free Member

I only started 1 other thread apologies. No problem

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Prince 2 Practitioner – any extra advice?’ is closed to new replies.