Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Prescription shades with changeable lenses?
  • MrGreedy

Does anyone do these? Giro Filters sounded ideal from previous threads but it doesn't look like they're easily available with prescription lenses in the UK.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I think you might want to investigate reactalite(sp?) lenses instead

JoeNation
    Free Member

Oakley all the way. They cost a lot (mine were £300), but there are lots of frame styles, lots of lens options, they have a great warranty and custom frame colours are available at no extra cost. Vision Express is probably the easiest place to order, but if you want a custom frame and prescription lenses, be prepared to wait a while. For some insane reason Oakley will not do it, so you must buy the glasses with plano lenses and then send them back to Oakley to be fitted with prescription lenses (why you can't just buy the lenses separately, smeg only knows). Worth the hassle though.

jonathan
    Free Member

Do you actually want to change lenses? If so then it'll get quite pricey as you have to buy multiple sets of prescription lenses. There may be issues with changing prescription lenses in frames like that too. I've got prescription Oakley Halfjackets and the lenses are very securely attached. I guess they're likely to be thicker at the edge than standard lenses.

For proper changing lenses you may be better off looking at the Briko and Addidas style with the prescription inserts. But they can have fogging issues.

I'd also recommend buying Oakley prescription. Find a good independent optician who's an Oakley stockist is my advice. Better service than the chains and there's no difference in price on stuff like that.

T666DOM

Why not try contact lenses then you can buy whatever glasses you want. Simples

Ajoten
    Free Member

I used Bollé Parole (or Vigilante, can't remember) coz tad cheaper than alternatives, prescription insert and 4 (?) diff colour lenses to clip in. Absolutely fine. Even have a couple of spare lenses knocking around if anyone wants them (never used the pink ones).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

joenation + 1

VE did mine and I didn't have the complication he describes.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Was looking at trying the 720 armor shades from crc with the RX inserts, but it seems kind of hard to get extra lenses for them in the uk..

MrGreedy

Thanks for replies, will be looking at oakleys. I've used inserts and contacts before and not been very satisfied, hence the question.

aP
    Free Member

Rudy Project do some pretty good insert RX frames with interchangeable lenses. The advantage with RP is that you can use the ImpactX lenses which come in 2 photochromic types I have the red ones. Currently they're the only option for me with my prescription (-11) I use RP Exception and have had them for 3 years and they're only now just starting to get a bit tatty. I use them every day as I don't cycle using my every day prescription glasses so I don't think that's too bad.
    If you're in or around london I can recommend Schullers in Lambs Conduit Street for top quality service.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

I've bought Rx Oakley's from Steptoes.co.uk – their prices are c15% below high street prices and my last order a few weeks ago took 6 working days from order to receipt of the glasses.

UK-FLATLANDER

Another vote for the Rudy Project Exceptions- superb

TooTall
    Free Member

When you say 'not satisfied' with contacts, what do you mean? As a long-term speccy type who has worn contacts in the worst conditions possible, I am curious as to your reasons.

MrGreedy

When you say 'not satisfied' with contacts, what do you mean?

It's not so pronounced off-road, but on road rides my eyes dried out in the wind and were very uncomfortable despite having shades over the top. The general faff doesn't particularly help either (although I could live with that if it wasn't for the former problem).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Prescription shades with changeable lenses?’ is closed to new replies.