• This topic has 39 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • poxy tubeless tyre!!!
  • jedi

arrgghhhh the tyre burped again and the casing has a kink in it, well ripples actually so it looks buckled. damn continental rubber queens. great tyre when it stays put 🙁

jedi
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Workman/tools etc *whistles*

jedi

oh do explain?

Popocatapetl

Never seen that happen before? Tyre defect? Shouldn’t ripple like that.

jedi

its doing my head in. i love the way tubeless rides/feels but i cant have them blow like that 🙁

going to try schwable

MarkN
    Free Member

Assuming it is in the bead correctly I would say that the tyre is a duffer.

nosedive
    Free Member

stick a set of minions on instead, mmmmm grippy

jedi

i had minions but they wouldnt seal 🙁

nosedive
    Free Member

really? I just got a set and they went more or less straight on. thats from brand new though, Ive had the devils own job getting old maxxis to seal when I’ve swapped them between wheels

that rippling is strange though, I’ve burped tyres after stupid clumsy landings but never made them look like that

soobalias
    Free Member

i guess that damage is the result of multiple blow offs and that tyre is for the bin

bit concerned if you couldnt get minions to seal, were they ust? mine were tight as a gnats wotsit when new, going on 819s

no dink in the rim is there?

tubeless convert – various maxxis and bontys on 819s & 823s

davecm
    Free Member

Maxxis UST and non UST (dual ply) seal fine, certainly on Mavic UST rims… You just need a lot of soapy water and some sealant for the non UST version.

Get it warrantied? Not 100% sure on contis policy on tires used with sealant.

You could try Bonti Super Juice? A little less aggressive than stans.

jedi

soobalias, no dings . i tried non ust minions

jedi

too it off and tried it on the front. its deffo the tyre 🙁

anyone else had this happen?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Go back to the Minnions and before you fit them go round the bead and edge close to the bead and snip off all the releasing nipples from the edge with a very sharp knife or decent scissors. This solved all my ghetto tubeless bead sealing problems-they sealed pretty well then with no sealant in!
    Managed to burp them twice once head on into a stump and once on a side wall landing on a drop off on to a rock at Dalbeattie.

jedi

i got tubeless rims and want tubeless tyres as i love the feel. will try scwable

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Inner casing separated from outer casing?

What sealant you using, Jedi? I had a problem with Joes in a Bonty TLR tyre which degraded the inner casing and caused separation which resulted in a loud blowout (possibly due to high ammonia content?)

Age by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Though, to be fair, it was quite an old tyre!

jedi

brand new ust rubber queens with stans (tiny bit)

Coyote
    Free Member

Whack a toob in there?

jedi

it wont stop the mishape and the tyre blowing off

jedi

tyre gave up the ghost today as it snaked all over the rim and is unusable 🙁

akira

Just fitted some Spesh Eskar 2 Bliss on my Mavic 321s with a Stans kit, tyres have been used quite a bit but got both of them on and sealed pretty quickly. Not ridden them in anger yet though.

slowrider
    Free Member

Watching the tyre try and twist off the rim as Jedi lands a massive hip is pretty scary!

jedi

it feels like playing russian roulette 🙂 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

OK, I take it all back. I ripped my rear minion clear off the rim today coming off rushup edge in the peaks. It wasn’t even one of my trademark clumsy landings.

maybe I was a bit ambitious choosing a folding minion.

soobalias
    Free Member

bike i rode today has tubes

spent quite a while holding my breath and thinking light thoughts going past huge amounts of recently trimmed hawthorn…

jedi

i put a minion with a tube on the back and it felt like a block of wood 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

its doing my head in. i love the way tubeless rides/feels but i cant have them blow like that

going to try schwable

I had that happen enough times myself. I then had a bunch of people tell me I needed to use specific tyres. I don’t see the point of forcing myself to use tyres I don’t like just so I can run tubeless. Mental. Back to tubes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My problem with tubeless is the one time you REALLY want a tyre to hook up and land properly without rolling off the rim is when you’re landing a drop, or screwing one up. That’s the last time you want the seal to burst and the front end to wipe out.

jedi

i love the way tubeless feels on the bike so i will try another brand.
    i even took the tyre off and reseated it yesterday and carried on. when the tyre snaked on the rim again i was about to take off of a laddder drop and glad i felt it 🙁

chiefgrooveguru

Do any pro freeriders use tubeless? As a wheels much closer to the ground rider I love tubeless but I’m convinced that some brands are much better at making reliable tubeless ready (but non-UST) tyres than others. On that basis I’d look at the Bontrager XR4 or Specialized Purgatory if you want something similar to a Rubber Queen that tubelesses well. But I’d also check if any other lunatics riding like you have had success going tubeless! 😉

ononeorange

Good luck, Jedi. Schwable tyres have been good for sealing in my experience.

I spent yesterday trying to get a new-ish (but used) Advantage to seal – converting to tubeless. Would the beads go anywhere near the edge? Not a chance. So it looks like try a new tyre (expensive) or carry on with tubes (thorns!!).

nosedive
    Free Member

I’m going to press on with tubeless even after violently taking one off the rim. I pinched the inner tube I put in with 5 miles yesterday and had to mince down one of the best descents in the peaks worrying about pinching my last tube. I cant go back to doing that

Topov
    Free Member

Since going tubeless, I’ve only ever had one tyre burp off the rim, that was a schwalbe, not that it matters as I suspect I just hadn’t seated it properly. In my experience Maxxis UST seal best, they seem to go on easily and stay on, in all conditions. I’ve used Maxxis tyres with proper UST rims and Stans, no probs. I’ve tried most other brands and always struggled to get the fekkers on the rim.

davecm
    Free Member

Do any pro freeriders use tubeless?

Gee atherton didn’t seem to have too much luck this year with his…http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6810177/p4pb6810177.jpg

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Saint rims – there’s the problem. He should have used Flows or 729s EVERYBODY know that 🙄

GEDA
    Free Member

I was doing 180s (The only trick I can do) in the park showing off to my children and it turned into a embarrassing dad moment when the tyre burped , exploded and I fell flat on my face. Would never quite trust tubeless after that.

jedi

i got some hans dampf’s schwable tyres today. will see 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

How are the Hans Dampf’s working out? Tempted by a set. It’s between them and another set of Advantages…

jedi

3 rides in and they feel great

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘poxy tubeless tyre!!!’ is closed to new replies.