Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Possibly daft question about my Marz forks…
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

An earlier post about fork length and head angles got me thinking

I bought a set of Marz 55s off some lad on ebay, great nick, barely looked used. Only thing I noticed is that whilst they are meant to be 160 mm travel, measuring the stanchions they are only 145 mm long!

Whilst i’m not overly riled about losing the 1.5 cm travel, I am concerned that I’m steepening my H/A by about a degree, which whilst I’m sure wont kill me, isn’t ideal

How would I know if the chap I bought them from has put in a spacer or something which can be removed (obviously I’d need to take em apart first)to give me my full travel back.

Ta

glenh
    Free Member

Stupid question, but are they the ATA travel adjustable version?

If they are air, try letting it all out and re-pressurising.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks Glen

They aren’t the ata version, they are micro ti airs.

Anyhow I let out all the air, then pumped them up to over 120 psi. Measured the stanchions, 165mm showing. Let out some air to normal riding levels (60-70 ish) and it dropped down to 160mm.

All good until I cycle them a few times, now back down to 150mm. On the trail they appear to work fine, so i’m a bit stumped. Any similar experiences?

glenh
    Free Member

Are you particularly light (not sure what the usual pressures should be in that fork)?

I think those forks have a coil negative spring, so if the pressure you are using is low for the strength of the negative spring they won’t fully extend.

Perhaps the previous owner was heavy and added a strong negative spring?

glenh
    Free Member

44 rather than the 55 – but same problem here:

http://www.bikefix.net/2010/04/bikefix-initial-review-marzocchi-44.html

tpbiker
    Free Member

hmmm…that is exactly the issue I’m having.

I’m 12 stone (more with my kit on) so I wouldn’t describe myself as light. Might do a strip down to see if the negative spring has been changed, sounds like a good starting point, given I’m not keen to pump any more air in as that’ll just create a different issue.

Thanks for your advice, much apprecitated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Possibly daft question about my Marz forks…’ is closed to new replies.