Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Porthcawl: Anywhere decent to eat/drink?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Staying at Parkdean campsite here at weekend, but would prefer to head out to pub or restaurant for the evening.

Anywhere to get a nice pint/curry etc? Tips from locals gratefully appreciated.

CountZero

Not a local by any means, but I have got CAMRA’s Good Beer Guide on the phone, and I’ve found these:
    Lorelei Hotel, Porthcawl
    Farmers Arms, Nottage
    Rose & Crown Hotel, Nottage
    Three Golden Cups, Southerndown
    Farmers Arms, St Brides Major.
    If CAMRA list them, then they should all be worth checking out.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

aaaah porthcawl you say. i’m a local!! You will be 25 mins from Afan btw.

food
    Jaipur on the prom is good for a curry.the waterfront just along the prom is nice for a beer too.

for more beer you could try the ancient briton and jolly sailor on newton green, just a few hundred yards from the site.- out of main entrance turn right and a couple of hundred yards up the road

if you want nice pub grub I would reccommend the Pelican pub on the road to ogmore by sea, but that’s car drive away- 10-15 mins.

Just thank the lord you didnt come last weekend and stumble upon the Porthcawl Elvis Festival

chakaping
    Free Member

Hahaha. Lucky escape indeed.

Cheers guys, that’s a really great help.

I know we’ll be close to Afan, taking a pal who’s just getting back into MTBing round the W2 to show him a good time.

Is the road up there still closed? We went round via Cimla last time but is there an easier shortcut via Cwmafan if still shut off?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

other things , nice beach walk along the front, head to the seafront turn left (away fron the town) and walk along newton beach – 2 miles long approx and nice for a bracing walk/fresh air.

If you have kids have a look at margam park – nice for a walk and a nice little farm park too- cheap too

Or if you mates just getting back into mtbing you could ride accross margam mountain via bryn to AFAN and then do w2 – That should add 36 miles to w2 btw!!!

road is still shut btw follow the diversions from the usual afan exit

Porthcawl is a typical UK seaside down , in need of redevpt, and a little run down. Nice on a sunny day but bleak on a wet.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

so how was trecco btw??!!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi, it was a great weekend. Brilliant ride at Afan and nice weather.

Went to Porthcawl instead of staying local to Trecco Bay, had quite a few beers Saturday night.

Too many in fact as my mate was too hungover for us to ride Sunday.

🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

Worked down that way couple years ago so know it reasonably well –

Farmers Arms, Nottage
    Rose & Crown Hotel, Nottage

Yep both good, but 15 mins walk from centre of Portcawl

For food it has to be La Rochelle, an absolute little gem of a Spanish/Portugese/fish restaurant and the only place that kept me sane when I was there –
    9 Well Street,
    PORTHCAWL,
    CF36 3BE
    (01656) 782330

Our evenings (but this was when about 50 hairy arsed linesmen took over the town 😉 so by no means recommended for a quiet night out) used to be Anchor Bar (esplade and John Street – but we where staying above it anyway), The Waterfront, The Lifeboat, Jules Sportsbar and then Streets nightclub for a laugh at the butch lesbian cowgirls chatting up innocent tourists (long story)

BigJohn

Lorelei Hotel, Porthcawl
    Three Golden Cups, Southerndown
    Farmers Arms, St Brides Major.

I’m amazed at seeing this list on here! I’ve been to all 3 and I remember taking the then future (and still current) Mrs BigJohn to the Lorelei back in 1971. I was in Porthcawl only last month and had a good couple of sails at Newton.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

glad you had a good time in porthcawl. which trails did you ride at afan. i was up there saturday and had a great time!

as for newton beach love it- at the end of my road!

chakaping
    Free Member

La Rochelle

That’s where we had our dinner Sat eve. Food was pretty good yeah.

DrNick – We did the W2 on Sat – I was on a red Zesty and my mate was on a green Trance, if we crossed paths.

Third time I’ve done that trail this year and I like it more each time. Such good fun.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Porthcawl: Anywhere decent to eat/drink?’ is closed to new replies.