Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Portable power for charging GPS etc whilst touring?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Hey up,

Anyone got any thoughts on the best way for carrying power when cycle touring? I’ve got a Garmin that I would like to keep charged and then there are the phones too. We’re heading to the Hebrides in April for a week so could do with some form of charging.

I know there are these USB batteries that can be used and that they seem to be more efficient that solar but what is the best compromise between weight and storage?

Unfortunately, a dynamo is out of the question for this trip but they do look to be a good future option.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Cheers

mustard
    Free Member

I think a solar monkey is the best bet but they do seem to take an age to charge the battery. You should get enough charge each day to keep a gps topped up until you find somewhere to plug it in and get a proper charge into it.

When touring my phone is turned off unless I want to make a call – not often – so it lasts for donkeys.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve used powermonkey solar chargers at high altitude in sunny climes and they’re great, not so sure how it would perform in northern Scotland though… Maybe a pack of AA batteries and a usb charger is the best option?

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Surely a dynamo hub and a converter to output power to a USB plug? Light, infinite power, no rummaging for batteries or chargers and batteries waste loads of energy being made and have nasty chemicals in them too.

Rik
    Free Member

Remember to get a few iPhone piccies of that lightweight dynamo disc hub for me please Matt at Core from the Ison stand – very keen to know when it will be in the country.

I’d def go 9000mah battery – that should about 6 charges and top it up in cafes and b&bs.

petrieboy

I’ve got one of these to keep our iPhones running when camping. Does a good job and would probably keep a gps going forever. It does take a long time to fully charge from the mains tho, the indicators suggest its full after an hour but it really isn’t. No problem if you have overnight power every few days tho.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004AM1OK4/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1327752187&sr=8-2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Portable power for charging GPS etc whilst touring?’ is closed to new replies.