Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 447 total)
  • Podium girls
  • loddrik
    Free Member

How pathetic that the TdF still has this anachronistic awful sexist display at the end of every stage. Why not let local schoolkids present the end of stage prizes..? I feel embarrassed explaining to my daughters why they need attractive women to stand on the podium with the cyclists in 2017. It’s bad enough at motor shows, but the type of people who are ‘into cars’ probably have that type of mentality. Cycling really needs to move with the times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep tour down under got shot as it’s a 70s throw back. Also really doesn’t fit with the promotion of women’s sport.

Though 3 2 1 knuckle draggers on their way to gawp and have a little fumble over the eye candy

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

‘hôtesses du Tour’

It’s awful I agree FWIW

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ransos
    Free Member

It’s bad enough at motor shows, but the type of people who are ‘into cars’ probably have that type of mentality.

In fairness, F1 got rid of it years ago.

cinnamon_girl

Presumably they’re not struggling with recruiting gorgeous young ladies to stand there and look gorgeous? As long as they’re well paid what’s the problem?

IHN

Agreed, it’s day has passed.

jekkyl

err because it’s objectification of women. The promotion that they are to admired because of their bodies, merely for the pleasure of men.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As long as they’re well paid what’s the problem?

Some good reasons here

“The Government’s paying for grid girls at the same time we’re putting money into mental health areas to help young women who have body image problems,” Bignell said.

“What we actually want to do is inspire girls and young women who come to the motor racing to be car drivers or to be mechanics or to be engineers.”

Podium girls are a long-standing tradition in cycling. Officially known as “hostesses”, these models present and assist race winners with their jerseys and trophies before planting a ceremonial kiss on their cheeks.

Yet the use of podium girls is met with an increasing amount of disdain every year due to the objectifying use of women, and the continued display of women in sports as trophy holders instead of athletes.

No more podium girls at Tour Down Under

Gary_M
    Free Member

As long as they’re well paid what’s the problem?

Because it continues to objectify women.

perchypanther
    Free Member

They might as well be called Imodium Girls , cause i’m guessing they’d struggle to give a shit what we all think about it.

cinnamon_girl

err because it’s objectification of women.

In whose eyes?

The promotion that they are to admired because of their bodies, merely for the pleasure of men.

Who’s exploiting who here?

stumpy01

loddrik – Member

…..but the type of people who are ‘into cars’ probably have that type of mentality. Cycling really needs to move with the times.

I agreed with what you were saying until the moronic bit above….

Are ‘cycling’ people somehow better than ‘into cars’ people, or perhaps more ‘with the times’?

Peyote
    Free Member

i’m guessing they’d struggle to give a shit what we all think about it.

Probably true, but there’s an argument that the issue is a smaller part of a bigger problem, and that when all the small parts are tackled the bigger problem is solved.

Maybe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try the reasons from South Australia cg. They are real and serious concerns about reinforcement of stereotypes and gender roles along with body image, basically sport wants women there looking nice not taking part.

Gary_M
    Free Member

err because it’s objectification of women.

In whose eyes?

The promotion that they are to admired because of their bodies, merely for the pleasure of men.

I guess you could apply the same reasoning to female prostitution.

the-muffin-man

In fairness, F1 got rid of it years ago.

Not seen the F1 grid girls on the grid and when the drivers are walking to the podium!?

DezB
    Free Member

C_G been sacked from that Spare Rib job then? 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Marcus Brigstocke was a podium dancer…..

Does that count?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for that link Mike. I’ll quote from Peyote’s post which is rather good:

Probably true, but there’s an argument that the issue is a smaller part of a bigger problem, and that when all the small parts are tackled the bigger problem is solved.

Maybe.

cinnamon_girl

On a serious note women who wish to, er, exploit their assets can now do so on their terms and Katie Price is a good example of this. So again, I ask the question who’s exploiting who?

Do boxing matches still have ladies parading round the ring with a round number placard?

Not seen the F1 grid girls on the grid and when the drivers are walking to the podium!?

Ah so not completely stopped then.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of feminism was that we are all equal. Do women need you lot to defend them?

If you think they do you may have missed the point…

cinnamon_girl

Try the reasons from South Australia cg. They are real and serious concerns about reinforcement of stereotypes and gender roles along with body image, basically sport wants women there looking nice not taking part.

And yet we see this posted on a bike forum:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/god-help-me-im-enjoying-love-island

😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

I ask the question who’s exploiting who?

I would say that the individual ‘podium girl’ is ‘exploiting’ her assets, however the concept is exploiting women and promoting objectification.

Trimix
    Free Member

They individually may not feel they are exploiting themselves, but they do no favours for other women.

wwaswas

I thought the whole point of feminism was that we are all equal. Do women need you lot to defend them?

If you think they do you may have missed the point..

Maybe if you think they don’t then you’ve missed the point?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I see no good in saying Women should be banned from earning money any way they want to, including working in PR.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing at people can, and are paid for being good looking – Men and Women with a broad appeal look are paid to promote products and services because other people like looking at them – it’s hardly forced prostitution.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I guess you could apply the same reasoning to female prostitution.

You certainly could.

If there’s a transaction occuring at an agreed price then both parties are willing then nobody’s being exploited.

Clearly if there’s coersion involved that changes things but I see no evidence that Podium girls are being forced into it.

Peyote
    Free Member

Depends on the branch of feminism, and on the route to that particular ideal.

No women don’t need men to defend them, it doesn’t do any harm (and probably helps) to have members of the class in power supporting the oppressed class though. Just got to be careful how you do it and not seek to take over the control of the movement. See also white supporters of the civil rights movements.

ransos
    Free Member

I see no good in saying Women should be banned from earning money any way they want to, including working in PR.

“Banned” is an oft-misused word. I think what we’re saying is that we’d prefer it if professional cycling events didn’t employ podium girls (or boys).

Peyote
    Free Member

I see no evidence that Podium girls are being forced into it.

It’s all about the context I guess. Assuming they arrive at their vocation after having the same choices that men do is probably not a sensible way of looking at it.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I dont see the problem, no-one is forcing them to do it. There are bigger problems in the world than this.

outofbreath
    Free Member

it doesn’t do any harm (and probably helps) to have members of the class in power supporting the oppressed class though

In this case supporting the oppressed class by ceasing to buy their ‘product’ so they get sacked.

cinnamon_girl

There are bigger problems in the world than this.

Sexism at British Cycling?

andytheadequate
    Free Member

There’s two separate issues in these type of discussions.

On an individual level, the podium girls (or strippers, or whatever else this type of discussion is about) should of course be allowed to do whatever they like.

But at a society level, having women (or men) there simply as eye candy is not a healthy thing as it promotes inequality and bad body image, especially for younger people. It shouldn’t be banned, but I don’t think it’s the kind of message that should be encouraged at major sporting events.

wwaswas

There are bigger problems in the world than this.

There’s very few problems in the world that there aren’t bigger problems in the world than. It doesn’t mean that they should all be ignored.

My view is that, whatever the individual choices of the women involved are, the podium girl is a symbol of the ‘spoils of victory’ – the laurels, the trophy cup, the jersey, the trophy woman.

And that’s why it’s bad – women as an incidental adjunct to victory, objects to be won by the fastest and the fittest, willing to symbolically present themselves to whoever the winner happens to be.

Peyote
    Free Member

In this case supporting the oppressed class by ceasing to buy their ‘product’ so they get sacked.

May be on an individual level, but if you view that product as detrimental in the grander scheme of things, its a price worth paying.

I could compare it to the tobacco trade and the tobacco leaf pickers getting sacked because their ‘product’ is considered damaging to people and society. I’m not sure if that is too tenuous, but I’m sure you catch my drift.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Podium girls, formally known as “Tour hostesses” (French: hôtesses du Tour), are women who are best known for presenting prizes and kisses to the winners of the Tour de France and other major cycle races, including the Giro d’Italia and Vuelta a España. In the Tour de France, a team of four podium girls is employed by the race’s main sponsor, the French bank LCL S.A..[1] They are responsible for entertaining clients of the sponsors before the morning departure of the race and in parties after the end of the race, but their most visible and prestigious role is in the award ceremony at the close of each day’s racing. The job requires working long hours in all weather conditions but is well-paid and sought-after, with candidates selected on the basis of their looks, endurance, personalities, and linguistic abilities. Although they are forbidden to interact with the riders, other than kissing them in the award ceremonies, several podium girls have ended up marrying cyclists. The employment of podium girls has prompted a certain amount of criticism about sexism in professional cycling, though current and former podium girls have defended their role as part of the sport’s traditions.

I can’t see a problem with it. They’re not forced into it and compared to what you see on TV on other forms of entertainment it seems very tame.
    If you don’t like what you see and it offends you then don’t watch it go march on the French embassy instead.

Torminalis
    Free Member

And that’s why it’s bad – women as an incidental adjunct to victory, objects to be won by the fastest and the fittest, willing to symbolically present themselves to whoever the winner happens to be.

So, does this offend you?

outofbreath
    Free Member

My view is that, whatever the individual choices of the women involved are, the podium girl is a symbol of the ‘spoils of victory’ – the laurels, the trophy cup, the jersey, the trophy woman.

Going back 20 years or so in order to become the winner you had to take so many drugs that they died by the dozen of strokes. Even today the riders are suffering far more than the podium girls and therefore you could argue being far more exploited than girls who jus thave to stand around a bit. They competitors are probably wearing more revealing clothes as well.

Or maybe nobody’s being exploited – they’re all doing a task they’re willing to do at the price offered.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 447 total)

The topic ‘Podium girls’ is closed to new replies.