Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plumbers: How much to fit a new electric shower
  • TimS
    Free Member

Hello,
    I've had a quote that's rather large and I'd like to canvas some opinions: Does anyone know how much a plumber would charge to replace an electric shower. The original shower is faulty, so no new pipes/wires will need to be run.

I'm guessing it's an hour's work plus the cost of the materials?

Stoner
    Free Member

unless youre doing a like for like replacement the pipe routing behind the unit is probably in the wrong place and will need redoing. Maybe some tiling will need making good too? Id imagine a job like that would probably be priced at a days rate, maybe a half day if it genuinely is really really straightforward. I wouldn't expect most trades to charge for an hour or two's work.

are the electricals appropriate for the shower too? was the original competently installed with the right cable rating for the power? if not than a new electrical feed may be required.

incognito
    Free Member

does it heat as well as pump? that can complicate matters. As long as you're not changing the shower type it should be a fairly straight forward DIY job if you're competent in that department.

TimS
    Free Member

It just heats (except the element failed, so it doesn't even do that), water is direct from the mains. I'd do it myself, but I'm 400 miles away.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I'm a spark. I'd charge it at my day rate. £75 per half day, plus materials at cost.

Simple pipework shouldn't take any extra time. If pipes need to be re-routed etc, it could be a day.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As jerrys answer, half a day = £90 + any materials at cost so £100-£125.

Job might only take 2hrs but driving there, getting kit out, tidying up, packing kit away etc. You'll not realistically get any change from a mornings work.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Any electrical work carried out in bathrooms must have a certificate of conformity, however I don't know if this is required if the unit is replaced with an identical model. I believe anyone can do the work, so long as an approved inspector passes it off and issues a certificate.

If it's a rental property, you would be mad not to adopt a belts and braces approach even if this is not a legal requirement.

You need to check with someone who knows the law and it is your local council that administers these certificates, so i'd give them a call.

Several years ago I carried out this task at home and I have installed a couple of these in my time. It's not hard if you comply with the installation instructions and fit an adequate supply back to the consumer unit, but then i'm someone with 25 years engineering experience, have refurbed several properties and have some relevant electrical qualifications.

As your unit is a straight swap like mine was, assuming the unit has been set on the tiling rather than in it, the job will be completed comfortably in less than an hour. The Triton T80 i fftted was £90 then, They have gone up a bit since. I reckon you should be able to get this done for around £200-250.

TimS
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

The original was on top of the tiles, and IIRC it's a flexible hose into the back, so piping shouldn't be a problem — just a straight swap.

The best quote I've got is £265+VAT, which I thought might be taking the piss knowing that there's no way I could sort it out myself. Looks like I'll have to man up and pay for it.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Is that including the new unit? If so, what kind? I would expect a decent mira for that money. And what's the plus vat for? That just Pisses me right off no end, it's nothing more than a way of charging you more and making it sound less.

It's a 1 hour job and as it's a like for like replacement, there's no need for an installation cert from a spark.
    Ring 5 local handymen and get quotes from them.
    A cheap shower that'll last 2 or 3 years is about 80 quid. A long life mira about 180-200. Plus 40 quid for fitting.

When you find someone, agree with them that you wont be paying for 48hrs so you know it's all good and no leaks. They don't always manifest immediately.

teef
    Free Member

If you're replacing with same model do it yourself – it ain't that hard. A few screws, flexible hose, bit of wiring and maybe some silicon – nothing to it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Teef, did you actually read the question? he can't do it himself as he's 400 mile away.

You don't need a cert if it's a like for like swap, only for new installations.

Monkey – I still reckon you'd do well to get the job done in an hour, even like for like, I'd allow 2.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers: How much to fit a new electric shower’ is closed to new replies.