Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Plasti-dip, anyone tried it?
  • failedengineer

I was thinking of spraying my(motor)bike rims with this stuff and then using the same company’s ‘glossifier’ to make it shiny. Anyone tried it? The reviews are pretty good.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s definitely the product of the year – seen lots of buzz. Very expensive around here but in the us it’s apparently less than $10 a can. It’s a bastard to ship as it’s considered dangerous goods, apparenkt.y

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    failedengineer

I reckon it would cost about £30 to spray two bike wire wheels. However, I think I’ll wait until I get a new pair of tyres fitted- I doubt if it will survive tyre fitting unscathed.

joolsburger
    Free Member

How weird – I ordered a few cans of this in black last night to do my badly corroded alloys on the car apparently it’s a can per wheel. Lots of videos on you tube that show pretty good results but it’s all in the prep like any painting I suppose. There’s an ebay seller doing 2 cans for 30 quid.

nixie

There are similar products for sale in the UK at a lower price. Frosts do one I think and cardip.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Did my alloys today, they looked awful before badly corroded, kerbed, and pitted all over – Really, really bad. Plastidip’d them on the car, masked off the brakes with a kitchen bin liner, gave them around 4 coats each in matt black, they look really good. You can still see some some unevenness where the worst of the damage was but it’s not noticeable unless your up close and looking for it. The stuff is frankly amazing. Dried in about 10 mins between coats, really easy to apply and 2 cans did all four wheels. I’ll most likely use another can on them once they’ve had a day or two to settle as the thicker the better I’m told. It’s rare a product lives up to expecations but it has.

konabunny
    Free Member

That’s good to hear?

konabunny
    Free Member

Sorry – unintentional question mark made that look sarcastic! Do you have any photos?

Now you mention it, Plastidip could replace gaffer tape and helicopter tape for making your frame ugly so it doesn’t get stolen/stop it gettin quite so badly scratched. (Do people still do that or was that just a craze last decade?)

skinnyboy
    Free Member

I painted my Giant Trance frame a few weeks ago with it. Looked great until it started to peel. Frame is now at the powdercoaters where it should have been all along!

konabunny
    Free Member

Why do you thnk it peeled? Rubbing against stuff or just poor adhesion?

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Not sure maybe because of the multiple angles. I cleaned the frame meticulously as well as scotch padding it to give it a key. I’d say it’s good for smooth flattish surfaces but with frames it’s no where near durable enough to take the beating you give a frame.

Got my frame back from the Powder coaters and it looks a million times better.

spooky_b329

Did you use the plastidip metal primer first? I’ve done an LPG tank with clear primer and clear plastidip and its done three years or so under the van with gravel being fired at it from the front wheel, normally they go rusty and this is like the day I painted it.

(It does have several thick brush coats on it though as opposed to thin spray coats)

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Nah I didn’t. If I was going to metal primer I would be in the realms of a full strip job! To be honest I was probably half arsed when I did it so I guess if I was to go the full hog I could get good results. Happy with my powder coat job as it is haha

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Loads of discussions on car forums about it – personally I wouldn’t bother. My experience of it is that its not very durable at all so I’d put it nowhere near a bike frame. As a cheap fix on some car wheels I guess its ok.

alpin
    Free Member

what about for blacking up the VW badge and other plastic/chrome bits on my van? would it suffice?

spooky_b329

From memory it was just a primer for painted metal to increase adhesion, as the tank was brand new and painted.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Plasti-dip, anyone tried it?’ is closed to new replies.