Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Places to live in and around Manchester.
  • davidjones15
    Free Member

I’m still looking for somewhere to live.
    Macclesfield appears to be quite high on the list, at least until I visit the place.
    I’ve also been looking at some of the newer flat around Salford, not sure if I want to spend that much on rent.
    There are one or two places in Sale and Stockport, any reason not to go here?
    Anywhere else to consider?
    I used to live in Didsbury for a benchmark reference of what I know.
    Thanks for you wisdomous input.

nbt

Stockport is a shithole of the highest order, in general, the town centre could really do with demolishing and starting again. There are some nice parts, but traffic CAN be a bitch.

If you’re working in That Manchester, Sale is good as you have the tram, but not great for riding MTBs really as it’s a drive to anywhere really good

IHN

Yep, where you’ll be working will be a major deciding factor.

Sale is very different to Macclesfield. Sale’s much more of an urban suburb (like Didsbury), Macc is more of a slightly bumpkin market town.

Stockport is not amazing. Decent areas around it, traffic generally terrible. Decnt trainlinks into the city centre though so agin, depends where you’ll be working.

There’ve been loads of threads on this recently, use the search button.

Garry_Lager

There’s quite a few nice places around the periphery of the Peaks that have good train lines into Manchester – Macc, Marple, New Mills etc. Depends whereabouts you’re working – if it’s in Manc do you want to live in the sticks and get the train to work, then back to the great outdoors? Or live in they city, ride to work, but then need a car journey to get out into the hills.

I’m not sure about Salford, the nice parts abut onto Ordsall which is a shithole in the real sense of the word – shootings, stabbings, people setting dogs on fire. I wonder how much that encroaches onto living in Salford quays, say.

totalshell

didsbury, sale, heaton mersey all nice enough for south east manc.. working in central manchester? but want mtb heaven? littleborough.. north east manc. train from village to manc every 30 mins ( takes 40 mins) 6 miles from hebby bridge.. mtl and pbw pass through the village.. and its cheap but best of all you can see Yarkshire!

binners

Stockport is a shithole of the highest order

There’s nothing really needs adding to that. Macc’s okay if you can live with the limited gene pool, and the cross-eyed, webbed-footed hunchbacks that generally throws up as your neighbours

Sale would get my vote. Have you looked in the peoples republic of Chorlton?

Wozza
    Free Member

I live in the centre and work in Sale.

The rent on our two bed 9th floor flat in “Castlefield” (Technically it’s Hulme but the right side of Chester Road) is £795/ month including parking and water. It’s quite safe, people are generally friendly, you’re no distance from the city centre so great for work and transport etc and for the most part we never have any trouble.

We looked at Salford but getting home from a night out is a pain in the arse and it’s not an awful lot cheaper. We have a mate whos there and he’s forever staying on our sofa rather than getting ripped off on a cab back to his. Stockport is just as described, a dump, avoid it. Sale’s quite nice and has connections into the city, have a look there.

dazh

I live in Levenshulme and it’s great. Not an obvious choice but it’s come a long way in a few years. Easy access to the city centre, cheaper property prices compared to Didsbury/Chorlton, good primary schools (secondary is a problem though), strong community, improving pubs/restaurants etc. I’ve even heard it said that it’s the new Chorlton. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not though.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I moved to Marple as it’s (almost) within spitting distance of the Peak District, yet does not make commuting a big problem.

I work in Wythenshawe however, so my commute doesn’t take me down the majorly busy routes into Stockport or Manchester. It’s about 11 or 12 miles – on average 40 minutes by car or bike, and predictable (barring ad-hoc incidents).

There are regular trains to Manchester Piccadilly, and a couple of bus routes into Stockport centre, so it’s easy to get into town when I need to.

However, if you don’t want to go to Stockport or Manchester then living in Marple could become a pain without a car.

For example, my commute on public transport takes up to 2 hours; visiting my parents in Cheadle Hulme would take 90 minutes rather than 20/25.

dazh

In defence of Stockport, if you’re into drinking beer, it has some of the best real-ale pubs in the Northwest, if not England.

Harry_the_Spider

You could always look north of the city centre. Some of it is actually quite nice. Running water, inside toilets, electricity, the lot!

easygirl

Horwich, blackrod, Aspull, adlington
    All small towns, good rail links

uwe-r
    Free Member

Stockport town centre I agree is aesthetically challenged and is frequented by a higher proportion of white trash than your average town although to lump it all in as a hole is a bit misleading. I still prefer to shop there than the Trafford Centre.

The most expensive places to live outside the home counties have Stockport postcodes (Prestbury / Alderly Edge area). Bramhall is not far from the centre and is quite exclusive.

Macc is very nice although it’s an expensive train ride if you are doing it daily!

Some of the satellite towns towards the peaks are awful (i.e. Ashton).

chipps

Todmorden – 30 mins on the train to Manchester and ace riding out of the door… 🙂

dazh

Last time I was in Todmorden one of my mates got attacked by a load of EDL types who thought he was a pakistani because he had a beard. Still, I’m sure that’s not a fair representation of the place 🙂

easygirl

Marple!
    Brings back memories of an illicit meeting with a workmate at a cottage in marple

scaled
    Free Member

I live in Sale Moor, commute in to central Manchester is 25 mins on the bike going straight through the water park.

Rent on my 1 bed flat is £500/month, I’m nowhere near the tram but can get in to Sale itself pretty easy and can get 90% of things i want locally.

Pretty tough to get out on the MTB as I dont have a car so rely on my mate with a van to really get muddy. Giving up the car coincided with getting my road bike though 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

In defence of Stockport, if you’re into drinking beer, it has some of the best real-ale pubs in the Northwest, if not England.

+1. I’d rather live in Stockport than Chorlton.

binners

I’d rather live in Stockport than Chorlton.

GlitterGary pictured yesterday….

😉

Bregante

I’ve also been looking at some of the newer flat around Salford,

If you take only one piece of advice from this thread, it should be STOP DOING THIS!!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

If that was Chorlton, she’d be smoking an organic bong, with a henna tattoo on her tummy, whilst wearing a hemp skirt. And be called Tabitha. 😆

lowey

the peoples republic of Chorlton

Have you not heard the news Binners… PRC recently disappeared up its own arse hole, tearing a hole in the whole pseudo bohemian fabric of Manchester. It went with such a loud pop I nearly choked on my Falafel.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

GG- not been to chorlton lately then, have you?

if it was chorlton, she’d look exactly the same as that photo!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

GG- not been to chorlton lately then, have you?

I know what you mean, I’ve never really seen the appeal of the place since moving to Manchester. It just seems like an overspill estate for Wythenshawe, with the addition of a few ok bars, a smattering of Tarquins and Millys, and an organic shop. That smells of poo. (The shop, not the people. Well, maybe the people too).

binners

It became a parody of itself quote a while back. I had to move out of there or one day I would have ended up walking into the Unicorn Organic Grocery and going postal with automatic fire-arms and hand grenades.

Blood, guts, and locally-sourced, organic, free-range, sustainable, soil-association-approved beetroot everywhere

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well i live in chorlton, and have done for about 10 years.
    it’s an odd place, tbh. mostly it’s alright, but you do get a higher than average proportion of the stereotypical “chorlton” folk here, that’s true, however it’s mostly very normal people, with the usual undercurrent of scrotes hanging around. the big council estates here/nearby (nell lane/mauldeth rd and hardy lane areas) are a bit sketchy and as with most nicer parts of manchester you’re not going to be that far from an unpleasant part.
    having said all that though, i quite like living here. Unicorn (the shop you refer to) isn’t as bad as it gets made out to be and you get fresh organic fruit and veg there for less than it costs in all the big supermarkets (mind you, i would say that, since it’s 100% vegan and i’ve been vegan myself for about 20 years!). hora doesnt like it in there, which is a big plus too! although he makes up BS stories about being asked to leave for wearing shoes and silly crap like that…
    with the metrolink extension too, it takes about 15 minutes to get to the centre of manchester at any time of the day. which is nice.

Harry_the_Spider

Is there a Greggs in Chorlton?

hora
    Free Member

No matter how cheap Salford appears, don’t.

I’ve lived in Fartown (Huddersfield)
    St Mary’s (Southampton)
    The Flowers Estate (Southampton)
    East Croydon (my favourite place!)

and was always left alone (although friends were mugged/beaten etc)

Some folk might say Stretfords rough – apart from two drunken lads trying to be funny with me (multiple 7am bumping into them on their way back from the lash/me buying a paper- then me getting the hump on when one said I was a big lad and ‘do you fight’ etc). Other than that I’ve had no issues at all.

I’d avoid Salford. Full stop.

I’d also avoid Chorlton (for different reasons- its mainly bland suburbia with a few nice pubs). There are pubs in Stretford but I don’t really like being offered stolen merchandise. If you must live somewhere nicer at least live in WDids or Didsbury itself- all areas are still wide open to crime though.

binners

There is indeed a Greggs Harry. But its for the plebs. If you must have something pastry-based, then The Barbacan sell Organic Goats cheese and roasted red pepper quiche.

I lived in Salford for years. I never had any grief personally, but you do tend to witness an awful lot. We used to get a fresh car burnt-out outside the house every morning at one point

hora
    Free Member

….and your magical vanishing motorbikes.

stevemakin

I’ve lived in Sale for over 35 years now,cant wait to get away ;-), its okay for pubs and food but the shopping centre is getting worse every week, lost count of the number of cheque cashers, loot buyers, bookies and pound shops in the town centre now.

Its handy for the tram into the city center.

The trans peninine trail is nearby and thats handy for (my) commute and to get into the hills or the coast if you fancy a long day on the bike.

binners

Getting motor bikes nicked? It doesn’t matter where you live. I’ve had 2 nicked in Warrington

hora
    Free Member

One Sat night I was sat in the Horse & Jockey drinking overpriced pints of ale and a huge group rocked up next to me- seemed like a nice group but my first impression was ‘BBC lot’. Conversations soon turned into houses, equity, how much made etc etc- typical London-bar talk……so I’m guessing the BBC Salford Crowd are choosing Chorlton…

I’ve noticed a few of their recent kids programmes are filmed in Stretford (Victoria Park) and surrounding areas already!

stanley

Get yourself to Marple… it’s great!!
    Good riding from the door (Edale yesterday)and an almost-regular night ride.

Having lived in Stretford for many years, I would not want to be back there now.

Can only agree with the Salford comments….. don’t even consider it.

hora
    Free Member

Having lived in Stretford for many years, I would not want to be back there now.

In a year or so we are going to move slightly further out. Ok for us but I wouldn’t want our lad in this area running around.

binners

I’m sure that within 12 months the BBC will have taken over the entire area. Ah well. You can sit back and think how public spirited you are Hora.

You’ve kindly subsidised their move for them. After all, moving from central London to Salford, the poor dears will have lost a fortune on property, and will have been in desperate need of their generous license-fee-funded relocation grant

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Is there a Greggs in Chorlton?

Even better there’s a Pound Bakery – yes, the clue’s in the name.
    Some good advice from folks, but I’d be a little wary of considering Littleborough, Tod, etc, and using the train to get in to Manc – unless of course you’re really keen on feeling like a sardine, and getting (very) up close and personal with complete strangers. I’d avoid most bits of north east Manc, and lots of north Manc, although some bits of Prestwich are ok.
    I’m in Whalley Range – seems ok here, and conveniently close to the city centre. It’s also known as ChoBo – Chorlton Borders!

binners

ChoBo – Chorlton Borders!

Seriously? Thats hilarious! 😆

A bit like Didsbury Borders. Or as we all know it – Burnage

xherbivorex
    Free Member

in terms of prices, there’s very little to choose between whalley range and chorlton these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Places to live in and around Manchester.’ is closed to new replies.