• This topic has 217 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 18 posts - 201 through 218 (of 218 total)
  • Pinnacle Ramin One
  • lazyrider
    Free Member

I highly doubt it would be discounted further, I wouldn’t have thought they would have a problem shifting them at £400. I think it’s more likely that they sell out of the size you’re after in the 2015 model. If you really want the 2015 specifically then i’d jump on it.

7ran
    Free Member

I haven’t found any references about drop bar setups on the Ramin One in the internet yet, so I thought you might be interested in seeing my 2014 with Salsa Woodchipper bar.

This is still a work in progress with temporary stem and bar tape, and handlebar and brake levers position.

If you need more information about this setup, just ask.

deft
    Free Member

Bumpity bump. I built up a rigid frameset from spares, and while it’s great fun to ride I’ve still hung onto my old 26″ hardtail for trail centres.

Now thinking about doing a tactical n-1 as for the price of a fork, headset cup and nicer wheels for the Ramin, it seems I could have a very capable bike that ticks a lot of boxes: tapered, 15mm, tubeless, dropper compatible. The future is here!

Anyone using a Ramin as their main-ish bike? Anything better than a 120mm X-Fusion Slide for <£300?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I did for a couple of years. It’s a spare HT now. Was great. Only issue was the QR back end for some reason would mean that tyre clearance on the NDS chainstay was minimal. I think a bolt thru would hold it all in place better. It has seen an unbelievable amount of abuse and has always been fun to ride too.

greentricky
    Free Member

hows that drop bar build ride?

jameso

Missed this thread when that drop bar Ramin came up. 29r-X..

Had a good 12 days in Nepal recently on my Ramin 3+ with 29″ wheels on. So sort of a Ramin 1 then. This is in the Langtang area. Much carrying / a bit of great riding.

Better pics here – Instagram

dukeduvet

jameso, been following your adventures in Nepal, looks amazing. Good colour option too on your bike

Will you be selling warranty back up frames this year again and if so will it be soon?

Really looking for a 120mm 29er frame only option and the Ramin sounds ideal.

Cheers

jameso

dukedvet – Thanks, the colour was a one-off but might make it into next year’s range somewhere. Look up frames on the Evans site and filter by Pinnacle, spare warranty stock gets sold off there. Some more due up about now if not already online. Pretty sure there’s some 2016 Ramins in there.

dukeduvet

Thanks jameso! Ill keep an eye on the Evans site

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

@jameso. Is there any difference in the 2016 Ramin 1 and Ramin 2 frames except colour? The Ramin 2 frame is currently being sold off on clearance, but it’d be for a rigid build.

Or would the Ramin 3+ frameset be a better starting point? (29er build rather than 27.5+).

Just thinking the £110 saving by getting the cheaper 2 might go a fair way towards a nice, lightweight rigid fork..

Rickos
    Free Member

I don’t believe there’s any difference, although only the 2 from 2016 is showing now. Depends if you want/need an EBB as to whether the 3+ is worth it. If you don’t then go with the nice blue 2.

I’m hovering over the 2017 version of the 4 to build up…

jameso

@jameso. Is there any difference in the 2016 Ramin 1 and Ramin 2 frames except colour? The Ramin 2 frame is currently being sold off on clearance, but it’d be for a rigid build.

Or would the Ramin 3+ frameset be a better starting point? (29er build rather than 27.5+).

Just thinking the £110 saving by getting the cheaper 2 might go a fair way towards a nice, lightweight rigid fork..

Rickos is correct, same frame / different colour. All of them take B+ tyres, the only difference with the 3Plus frame is being able to SS it or adjust BB height.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

thanks both!

That blue is nice…

dmorts

I’ve got my hands on a Ramin frame (no forks) and hoping to turn it into a cheap MTB/Bikepacking bike.

Two things I’m considering:

Fork – Rigid and probably a Salsa Firestarter steel fork. This looks to be £120 ish. I am open to a suspension fork but don’t think I’d get anything decent for the same price as a decent rigid fork

Gearing – Probably 2 x10 Shimano SLX, but might go 1×11 for simplicity. The 2×10 would offer much more range though and probably be better value for money

Thoughts?

Cheezpleez

Seems a lot to spend on a rigid fork to pair with a cheap (albeit nice) frame. Ask on the classified for a used rigid fork? I’ve an od Swift fork I could probably be tempted to part with, if it’s any interest.

Also, I’d make sure you can get a plus tyre in the front (which rules out my Swift fork ). I favour 29+ but even 27.5+ is good on a rigid bike.

As for gearing, I’d go 2x personally. I still run 3×9 on my bikepacking bike and I’m not planning to change any time soon. There’s everything from road to vertical bog on the rides I do and lots of gears works for me.

docrobster
    Free Member

Ive also recently come by a Ramin frame. Been looking at forks. Suitable Rebas got for £125 or thereabouts on eBay. Seems like the obvious choice?

Out of interest though, what length rigid fork would you go for?

dmorts

Seems a lot to spend on a rigid fork to pair with a cheap (albeit nice) frame

A decent rigid fork is better than a cheap suspension fork though. In my head it’s not that disproportionate and the frame is new too.

Suitable Rebas got for £125 or thereabouts on eBay

I think Reba would be the suspension fork to go for. £125 new or second hand from eBay though? Not sure if taking on second hand forks actually works out that much cheaper in the long term if you factor in servicing.

Out of interest though, what length rigid fork would you go for?

483mm which is 29er 100mm suspension corrected equivalent.

Clink

Does anyone know if the Rain 3 plus frame will take a 120mm fork, or is it 100mm max?

Viewing 18 posts - 201 through 218 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Ramin One’ is closed to new replies.