Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pinnacle mech hanger recall.
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Just got this in an email from Evans –

Pinnacle and Hoy Hanger Safety Recall impacting 2015/16 Disc Brake models of:
    Arkose, Pyrolite, Dolomite and Shizuoka

Dear Evans Cycles Customer,

Our records indicate that you have purchased one of the above listed bikes from us and unfortunately we are contacting you as your bike is subject to a recall.

We have received reports of rear wheel slip issues on some Pinnacle/Hoy bikes sold since late 2014. We have identified an issue with a small number of rear mech hangers that can result in the rear wheel slipping. The rear mech hanger is a separate replaceable part that is attached to the frame and the rear gear mechanism attaches to it. It is designed to protect the frame from potential damage.

To ensure the continued safety of our customers, we are conducting a recall on models using this hanger and replacing those for all customers, along with the associated nut and bolt. As a precaution, please discontinue use of your bike until the new hangar has been fitted.

If you have a spare BGRD-4 hanger then this will need to be returned to the store and replaced as well. Our priority is to replace hangers on bikes, and after this we will fulfill any replacement hangers. Please be sure to bring the replacement in when you drop the bike off as the store will be able to place an order for your replacement immediately, which can be shipped directly to your home address or for collection in store, although fulfillment for any replacement hangers may take up to one month for delivery.

We request that you contact your nearest Evans Cycles branch so we can schedule the required replacement as quickly as possible and get you back on your bike.

jameso

I posted some more info here, http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pinnacle-arkose-three-jameso-to-the-forum-please/page/15#post-7359232

“It’s a ‘to be sure’ replacement. There’s some dropouts that haven’t been machined properly and when we looked at the possible affects of that in combination with a maybe a looser QR it answered why we’d had rear wheel moving in the dropouts reported, so it’s been acted on.

We decided to replace all dropouts because although we can trace frames by batch the dropout inserts aren’t supplied or made 1:1 with frames as it’s a part that other brands/frames use also.

I don’t want to undermine the recommendation not to ride the bike until it’s swapped out but for perspective if you’ve been riding it for a while with no issues it’s unlikely there is an issue, just to be clear and confident moving forwards we felt it best to get them all replaced and not to have to make judgement calls on the part detail. Apologies for any inconvenience though.”

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

So do I really need to take my bike in if I want a replacement? Or can I just take my spare dropout in, get that replaced, fit to bike then repeat with the one that was on the bike? Taking my bike into a store is a pain I could do without. Haven’t had any problems so far so if I have to take bike to store I’ll probably just not bother.

Cheers 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in the same boat. Hasn’t been a problem so far and it would be hassle to have to take the whole bike in.

In fact, I think it was supplied mail order, so what about mail order customers?

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I got mine (Arkose 5), mail order too.

jameso

Shouldn’t be any problem to get one sent out if you’re ok with swapping it over.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Mail order here as well

docrobster
    Free Member

Just adding to this thread as my friend who got a pinnacle hybrid earlier this year had hers changed under this recall yesterday.
    The very first time I had a quick spin on her bike the rear wheel did indeed move in the dropout under pedalling (she asked me to check the indexing so I think I was in big chainring smallest sprocket). It scratched the paint but no other harm done. I tightened the qr some more and put it down to that. I felt guilty for scratching her pride and joy.
    Turns out it was an actual issue. Glad it’s been put right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle mech hanger recall.’ is closed to new replies.