• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • benp1

I have the wide SKS Chromoplastics on mine, drilled a hole in the front mudguard instead of the mount, fitted fine

Was a bit of a faff to get the stays cut and shaped, but they’ve since been absolutely rock solid

Someone knocked my bike off the rack at work (grrrr) and the stay was bent fairly badly. Bent it back into place with some pliers and seems fine again

I have 32mm Marathon Plus tyres fitted, think I’d need to take mine off if I’m going to stick the WTB nano 40c tyres back on

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

To show the bends I had to put in the front stays. I still need to fettle the guard-tyre gaps front and rear to satisfy my OCD by making them perfectly consistent, but you get the idea.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Question: Has anyone fitted a fork crown mount for a Dynamo type permanent front light? Obviously we don’t have the usual caliper brake mount to use, so has someone found or fashioned something that can use our guard mount under the crown?

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

No-one? Perhaps it’s only me that wants their Arkose to live a double life. Bridleway Basher in the summer and winter road bike in the, err, winter.

Stripped and knobblied for when it’s Mr Hyde, but with fat slicks, guards, rack and permanent lights for it’s Dr Jekyll. Maybe even do some multi-day touring on it like that.

(or perhaps it’s only me who wants permanent lights on his/her Arkose when it’s wearing its sensible hat)

jameso

Has anyone fitted a fork crown mount for a Dynamo type permanent front light? Obviously we don’t have the usual caliper brake mount to use, so has someone found or fashioned something that can use our guard mount under the crown?

Just take the standard mount and flip it, (may need to bend it a little to suit the deeper crown of a carbon fork) like this –

Mike’s Stoater Rohloff by Shand, on Flickr

(or perhaps it’s only me who wants permanent lights on his/her Arkose when it’s wearing its sensible hat)

Nope, with you 100% there : )

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks Jameso!

I tried that with B+M bracket I had but couldn’t get it to fit. It was probably just too short, so wasn’t going forward far enough before it bent up. Now I’ve see it can be done, I’ll see if some bending won’t do the trick or try to track down a different size one that does fit.

jameso

My std wire SON fitting won’t fit, bending the black version takes the finish off as well. But others should fit, this Brompton fitting with 2 bends looks like taking the end bend out would make it the right shape.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Excellent!

That looks like it would be perfect after that bend had been taken out. Many thanks indeed 🙂

forty45
    Free Member

Any news on the framesets arrival dates (and prices)? Do they just come in the same colours as complete bikes?

I think I read the SS could be converted to run geared as well – is that correct? I take it the geared frames do not have quite the same capability.

gredawarha
    Free Member

Hi @jameso

I have fitted the front mudguard to my 2015 Arkose 3 purchased in September/October 2014 but thescre hole under the crown of the fork where you attach the mudguard is not parellel with the ground. It is about 35-40 degrees angle. So when you screw the mudguard into the frame the guard twists resulting in the right hand side of the guard rubbing on the tyre.

Also one of the stay mount holes seems to have a thread defect as the bolt never screws in properly so when fitting the stay for the guard it is barely fitted and would easily pop out on bump or rough ground.

Are the forks covered by warranty? How would I go about getting this resolved. If it is not covered by warranty is it possibly to purchase a replacement fork? I just looked on the Evans website and I can find Arkose 3 (2015) frames but no forks.

Appreciate your help.

benp1

Sounds like you want to speak to customer service

gredawarha
    Free Member

I have also conhtacted Evans Customer Service as well.

jameso

Any news on the framesets arrival dates (and prices)? Do they just come in the same colours as complete bikes?

I think I read the SS could be converted to run geared as well – is that correct? I take it the geared frames do not have quite the same capability.
    Frames are in, just waiting to get posted online. SS can be used geared, just fit the hanger that the geared bikes use as the dropout itself is the same.

is not parellel with the ground. It is about 35-40 degrees angle. So when you screw the mudguard into the frame the guard twists resulting in the right hand side of the guard rubbing on the tyre.

The underside of the fork’s not entirely flat and that’s normal, but do you mean the hole is at 35-40 deg? The threaded hole should be roughly in line with the steerer. The blade hole sounds stripped / cross-threaded. Would be better to get it all checked in the shop.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ Jameso, what colors are the frames in and do u have small ?

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Anyone know if the rear Joytech rear hub on the 2015 Arkose 2 can take an 11-speed road cassette?

I’m guessing not, as the 105-equipped Arkose 4 has different hubs. But you never know…

(I’m thinking of re-purposing the rear wheel, not converting the bike’s 1×10 to anything else)

ceepers

If you have access to a dremel style tool and a little bit of dexterity you can convert it to 11 speed yourself. I’ve done it to two wheels. It’s just a case of taking about 1mm ish off the stops at the end of the edges that the cassette slots onto. It’s not that hard

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Good to know, thanks 🙂

gredawarha
    Free Member

@jameso

Thanks for the reply regarding the fork.

Another question if you don’t mind. Will RS505 callipers fit on the 2015 Arkose 3 frame? I have managed to acquire an RS505 full set including shifters so want to upgrade the mechanical brakes to full hydraulic.

shermer75
    Free Member

The RS505 uses the new flat mount standard, the 2015 Arkose uses the old post mount standard. AFAIK there is no adapter for fitting flat mount calipers to post mount frames.

oliverdavey80
    Free Member

While I was thinking about how to build up my new Arkose SS frame I found a lot of useful information and inspiration on this thread (so if you don’t like it then it’s as much your fault as it is mine!!!). I’ve finally finished putting it all together and thought that I’d upload a couple of photos. I suppose the headlines are dynamo lights, hydraulic disc brakes, a modified 3 speed hub and lots of machined and polished aluminium. For those who may be interested I’ve written a bit more about my parts choice here http://www.daveypushbikes.com/blog.

[/url]Pinnacle Arkose Sturmey Archer 3 Speed by Oli Davey, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Pinnacle Arkose Sturmey Archer 3 Speed by Oli Davey, on Flickr[/img]

jameso

Nice!!

honourablegeorge

Any sign of the frames, Jameso? Still nothing on Evans

riddoch

Are they more full bikes on the way? The arkose 3 I test road had to be called back to the warehouse from store stock.

jameso

Frames are here but they’re not online yet, backlog of uploads there I think. I expect you could order one via stores, pm me if you want a pointer there.

jameso

Are they more full bikes on the way? The arkose 3 I test road had to be called back to the warehouse from store stock.

Generally good stock levels at the mo but the Arkose 3 is selling fast this year, more due in a week or two I think. Some bikes get called back to go to another store when the stock is low and they have a confirmed order.

shermer75
    Free Member

Great looking bike^^ 🙂

fathomer

Quick question for owners. I’m looking for something to replace my 6/7 year old Boardman road bike for winter/commute use and was wondering what the Arkrose was like as a road bike with 25/28mm tyres?

Andy

Sadly I need to sell my XL Arkose Single speed. Redundancy means no longer need a commuter and its too similar to my Kinesis Tripster. Add here 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

Quick question for owners. I’m looking for something to replace my 6/7 year old Boardman road bike for winter/commute use and was wondering what the Arkrose was like as a road bike with 25/28mm tyres?

I bought an arkose 4 in January as my new commuter, I really like it, disc brakes make such a difference when it’s wet.

I’m running 28mm conti GP 4 seasons and PDW Full Metal guards.

It’s really nicely put together and the attention to detail is spot on – things like black bolts and nicely tapped bars show it’s been built with care.

It’s not a speed machine but it’s no slouch either. I might stick a carbon post on it though just to improve comfort a bit.

fathomer

Cheers Gary.

I’ve also just spotted Pinnacle’s Dolomite range which looks good as well and more suited to road riding. I like the idea of the Arkose as I could take it off road if I wanted but not 100% sure it’d ever actually happen! Decisions, decisions.

pictonroad

Sending up the bat signal to Jameso!!

I’ve had the letter about the new mech hanger, they want me to return the bike to Brighton, won’t post me one.

Can I be posted one, I really really don’t have time to fanny about in central Brighton, never mind the cost.

jameso

Yes they can send it to you, you will just need to say/sign something to say you’re sure that you’re able to replace a mech hanger safely, which I expect you are.

pictonroad

I’ll get back to them, thanks.

And, just to say, I’m very much in love with my Arkose, we’re going on another date tomorrow after work…

8)

riddoch

Any word on the steel frame version that Road.cc mentioned back in October? Guessing it would hit a similar price point as the Jamis renegade and Croix de for.
    Did try using the search function but got nothing useful back.

Lifer
    Free Member

Just ordered an Arkose 3 through cyclescheme, means I’ve got a month to get fit enough to do it justice 😀

jameso

Any word on the steel frame version that Road.cc mentioned back in October?

There’s one or two out there being ridden, it’ll be a 2017 bike now so later this year sometime. It’s uncool as it’s 1 1/8″ head tube with steel forks : )
    One tourer version, one 1×11 grrrvl version.

riddoch

Grand, maybe next year. Just picked up my 2015 Arkose 3 in that green, very happy with it so far in short ride I’ve had on it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Just had an email from Evans to say my bike is expected in stock next week! Awesomesauce

justinf
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Arkose 4 and am in the process of personalising it and readying for some daft Alpine thing in September, anyone know off hand the spoke lengths of the OEM rear wheel?

jameso

Not offhand no but I’ll find out.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.