Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Pictures of your pre 2000 Kona please.
  • zippykona

Modern Konas look rubbish. So pics of old ones are needed to brighten my day. Extra points for a Hei Hei.
    Thang you very much.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I agree, pre 2000 Konas look the best. The golden period was 1995 – 1997 I reckon.

Extra points for a gold 1996 Cindercone. 8)

xiphon
    Free Member

Pulled from interwebs

soma_rich
    Free Member

my 1991 CinderCone still doing serious miles every day commuting to work.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That’s the boy xiphon. 8)

I’ve got a 2002 Lava Dome, but no pics of it, plus the decals were a bit rubbish around that time. I still love it though.

Nice bike, Soma!

clubber
    Free Member

My 95 Kilauea – still in use 🙂

Keando

My 1994 Kilauea

I also have a 1992 Black Cinder cone that acted as a donor for the Kilauea

mattbee

Not strictly mine, built this last week for my boss, ’99 Muni Mula:

clubber
    Free Member

aluM inuM – I always liked that as a name 🙂

letmetalktomark

1996 Kilauea:

1997 Hei Hei

1998 Lava Dome

1999 Caldera: Fettled by Argos Cycles

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A mates i was fixing for him. Think its mid 90s?

allyharp

Here we go: 1999 Fire Mountain

IMG_5772 by allyharp, on Flickr

clubber
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – that first one is 1995 – it’s the same as mine was before it was repainted

letmetalktomark

clubber – Member

letmetalktomark – that first one is 1995 – it’s the same as mine was before it was repainted

Its actually a 1993/4 thats was also repainted …. not sure where I got 1996 from.

Kato

’98 Kula tickle you? Old Kona’s are ace and this is the only bike i’ve never wanted to sell!

zippykona

Ooh I like that!
    What does that weigh in at?

thepodge
    Free Member

ok, so I have a 93/94 cinder cone in the cellar. it was my commuter but I’ve not used it in almost 12 months… what should I do? sell it and let someone else love it or keep it in the hope one day I’ll resurrect it?

Militant_biker

When I went with my parents to buy my first proper MTB in 1997, I had a choice of an STX-RC Kona Fire Mountain with P2s, an STX-RC Kona Hahanna with some cheap RSTs or Rockshox Indys or similar, or an STX rigid aluminium Trek 6000.

I chose the Trek as I thought it had a better frame (Thinking – ‘Aluminium is better than steel innit’), and worth the crappier gears. I later learnt just what a stupid mistake that was. I was 14. 😳

Kato

zippykona – Member

Ooh I like that!
    What does that weigh in at?

21 lbs, had it down to 19 lbs when it was v-braked though

@ letmetalktomark. A SPinergy Spox! Not seen one of those for ages!

user-removed
    Free Member

Bought for £50 on ebay a few years back and lovingly brought back to life 🙂 Now with stem adaptor and little pop up stem.

slimtubing
    Free Member

[/url]
    2005_0113misc20007 by nickendeacott, on Flickr[/img]

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i can play too! i bought it a couple of years ago. lots of original parts too…

OCB
    Free Member

stuartlangwilson – Member

A mates i was fixing for him. Think its mid 90s?

Ooh, earlier than that I’d say, that splatter paint had gone for the 1991 range as far as I can remember (although that’s not especially reliable 😛 ).

Here’s my (ever so slightly modified) 1992 Fire Mountain, from it’s last two rides.

I almost don’t know why I bother owning any other bikes, this one goes out 10x more often than everything else I own.

40mpg

P6040253 by T*inbred, on Flickr

Sadly sold this recently, as although it was a thing of beauty, it wasn’t getting ridden, which seemed a waste.

The guy that bought it was getting back into mountaion biking after a break (about 20 years!) and wanted a bike that would remind him of his yoof – so hopefully gone to a good home and a happy owner (with sore wrists!)

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Here’s one of the many build incarnations of my old Hei Hei, like a muppet I sold it, which I constantly remind myself was a stupid thing to do!

Hei Hei gallery

Kato

This is great! More old Kona pics please!

smoggy
    Free Member

’99 Kona “Nun” Used as a commuter. i love it! Square taper now changed to hollowtech 2…only original part left is rear wheel (and the frame obviously).

IMAG0986 by smoggy3, on Flickr

whippersnapper
    Free Member

my old ’95 Explosif. Currently a wall hanging as I need the space but I should imagine it will be up and running again one day probably not so soon

I had an old Lava Dome same vintage as User-Removed’s bike up there ^^. These are my favourite year Kona’s

singlecrack
    Free Member

Kona AA 1995
    Picture 055 by jerrypc69, on Flickr

Just before its retirement..,,sadly hung up in the garage now

user-removed
    Free Member

Mine still gets regular outings. The stem adaptor and shorter stem have made a huuuuge difference to the way I feel about the bike. It’s nowhere near as ‘racy’ as it was, but is so much more comfortable. It also now has the fattest tyre which I could get to fit up front which helps with the whole sore wrists thing…

ourmaninthenorth

1992 Lava Dome. Owned since new and I’m never, ever, ever letting go of it. Currently pulling Baby North’s trailer (still SS, which is a bit stiff on the knees).

thorpie
    Free Member

My 97 Cindercone, fully rebuilt and upgraded earlier this year, paticularly like the PACE RC30 forks which are different to the usual P2s.

Trevor.

Gunz
    Free Member

My ’97 Hei Hei, now has Middleburn cranks, Rebas and new stickers. Don’t think I’ll ever need anything else.

Brycey
    Free Member

This is a sore thread. My Dad binned my bronze Cindercone (trying to establish year, i think ’92 or ’93) a few years back.

crewlie

His n Hers 94 Lava Domes. Still in use as MTBs and tourers.

The Future 15/52 by crewlie, on Flickr

May 18th by crewlie, on Flickr

TedC

Here’s two of mine…

’94 Explosif

’98 Kilauea

timc
    Free Member

NNOOOO!!! I want one so bad, have done for 15 years now! half my bloody life! 😥

druidh
    Free Member

This photo was taken two and a half years ago and the bike is still in this condition

25/05/2009 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Not mine though – a friends.

matt_outandabout

Please will Kona re-issue *that* green Cinder Cone, and will someone tell me how I get my bike painted that colour?

corroded
    Free Member

Argh! What a great thread. I wanted a splatter Cinder Cone sooo badly for my first proper mtb (about 25 years ago, gulp!). Would have taken me another six months in paper rounds so I settled for a Marin. Such is life. I’d buy an old Kona (pre-cartoonish decals) in a shot, especially a ti Hei-Hei. They all look so ‘right’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Pictures of your pre 2000 Kona please.’ is closed to new replies.