Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Phycisists – what on earth is this guy talking about? Is it voodoo science?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

In the world of photography there is a fairly well known video blogger known as the ‘angry photographer’. He is, to say the least, a bit out there. In addition to his opinionated rants on camera equipment he is a self-confessed genius who has invented magnetism. Now of course he hasn’t but one of his idiosyncrasies is to talk in hyperbolic and complex language about the subject in order to convince you he’s smarter than you are. But, given that I am myself not smart enough to disprove his theories (though I am smart enough to seriously doubt them), I wondered if anyone else here can shed light on what exactly (or even vaguely) he’s saying in this video:

[video]https://youtu.be/ZED98P51RBA?t=98[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

He looks like my brother-in-law who is a prize idiot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He looks like my brother-in-law who is a prize idiot.

What? There are prizes?

Where do I sign up?

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s rambling incoherently. Packing as many flashy sounding words in as he can to try and show off, it seems – possibly to himself.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

A physics / science version of Russell Brand.

slowoldman

Prof Cox has a word for these people. He should be in Trump’s team coming out with stuff like that.

Garry_Lager

High quality bolloxology there – delivered after his fifth bong of the day from the sounds of it.

I take it he’s an excellent photographer? Because I can’t see many people enduring that cabbagery just to see his work, unless it’s outstanding.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’d have thought such a good photographer would have at least made use of a tripod.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I take it he’s an excellent photographer?

Actually the rumour is that he’s not. He’s quite a character to say the least. Extremely opinionated and he likes to validate his opinions by positioning them as ‘cold hard facts’. He probably has around something like $100,000 dollars worth of camera equipment, achieved mostly by having at least two copies of everything he owns.

No one is really sure about him…..

vongassit
    Free Member

[/url]image upload free[/img]

plyphon
    Free Member

dude’s nuts

philjunior
    Free Member

LOL.

Utter bollocks. Possibly stoned, as has been diagnosed above.

crankboy
    Free Member

absolute total ball cocks to the point where I can confidently say he is pulling your chain and or ill.

tonto
    Free Member

Shut up and take my money!!!

nealglover
    Free Member

But, given that I am myself not smart enough to disprove his theories…..

Neither is anyone else by the look of things 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Still waiting for him to explain objects need magnets to appear solid lol

Klunk
    Free Member

Star Trek had a good term for it, Technobabble. 🙂 usual had something to do with phase 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

He’s like a camp version of Colonel Kurtz.

Did he say that magnetism defined volume?

molgrips
    Free Member

He doesn’t really have any theories. He’s just waffling without saying anything specific.

Real science isn’t like this. It’s based on equations, laws, formula and derivations. Even when Dr Cox is explaining it on telly, he says ‘Einstein showed us this, Newton showed us that’ – that’s a way of citing their equations and theories.

maccruiskeen

He’s prolific though.

jonnyboi

Stopped after 20 seconds because he’s a nut job. Watch some real science in action,maybe the latest episode of ‘sky at night’ then compare and contrast with that balloonatic above.

CountZero

Deary, deary me. 🙄
    There’s only one part of that incomprehensible load of bollocks that made any kind of sense, and that was the bit about light being bent by magnetism, which is true, it’s how cathode ray tubes work.
    The rest is a classic case of “if you can’t blind ’em with science, baffle ’em with bullshit’. And my bullshit ‘o’ meter was reading fifteen on a scale of ten!
    It’s people like him who get others believing in stuff like chemtrails and HAARP, and all that crap.

leffeboy

it’s how cathode ray tubes work.

I think cathode ray tubes are actually beams of electrons being bent by magnetic fields and then converted to light

richmars

There’s only one part of that incomprehensible load of bollocks that made any kind of sense, and that was the bit about light being bent by magnetism, which is true, it’s how cathode ray tubes work.

Can you bent light with magnets?

CRT’s are beams of electrons bent by electric fields.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Basic A Level physics innit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetism

leffeboy

oooo, you’ve come to play

CountZero

CRT’s are beams of electrons bent by electric fields.

I was always led to believe that a strong magnetic field could bend light, but I’m happy to stand corrected on this, photons carry no charge, and so can’t be directly affected by magnetic or electromagnetic fields.

Basic A Level physics innit.

Could be, I dunno, I only got as far as CSE physics, I’m not some smartass university type.

jonnyboi

I know that gravity can bend light, because Matthew McConaghy told me.

poah
    Free Member

did he play Einstein ?

oldnpastit

Has he just got a liquid which is magnetic, sandwiched between two layers of glass?

And the refractive index of the liquid changes depending on the local magnetic field, which in turn gives you different levels of refraction (reflection?), and hence the funky patterns?

Kind of neat, but nothing to do with what he’s talking about.

More plausible explanation:

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think technically gravity bends space/time not light; light still travels in a straight line through the curved space/time hence it looks like it’s being bent. This was how I understood it but I am probably wrong.

jonnyboi

Very good, extra kudos if you didn’t use google first

MSP

I think is is confusing the theory of “time and relative dimensions in space”

nickc

Did he say that magnetism defined volume

I understand you can define volume by how it reacts to magnetism. (permeability)

but I suspect that’s not what he’s talking about!

oldnpastit

He’s talking utter rubbish. It’s a Trumpian version of physics.

Sorry to disappoint, I had to google it to even figure out what he was taking pictures of.

deepreddave
    Free Member

He kept saying coherence which seemed ironic to me.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Assuming you meant my knowing about gravity bending space/time, yes, I did know that already. I’ve read a lot of popular science books so I get the basic principles of these concepts but that’s as far as it goes.

oldnpastit

It has nothing to do with gravity.

Remember when you messed around with iron filings and a magnet in primary school?

Well it’s like that, only instead of using iron filings, he’s using a liquid with something like iron filings in it. That lets him play around with reflection and refraction to make some pretty patterns.

But the stuff he was talking was total cobblers.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Phycisists – what on earth is this guy talking about? Is it voodoo science?’ is closed to new replies.