Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Photography at Coed Y Brenin.
  • bearz
    Free Member

Hi All.

I am new to the forum and would like to ask for some advice.

I want to practice my photography at Coed Y Brenin this weekend (I will be in the area). I want to take photos of mountain bikers in one of the forests; this will require the use of a flash.

What is the best way to go about this?

Do I need to ask permission at the bike centre first to use the track?

Do I need to put a big sign up warning bikers of what’s about to happen.

None of this would be for commercial gain, I just want to practice my photography skills. I would gladly give the bikers photos.

Your thoughts and advice are welcome.

bearz
    Free Member

Seems like posts get lost fast on this forum.

Bump.

continuity
    Free Member

I would call the CYB centre, they’re pretty helpful and pleasant.

Flash photography might put people off and cause them to crash, which would make them rather unhappy.

scotty38
    Free Member

continuity – Member

Flash photography might put people off and cause them to crash, which would make them rather unhappy.

I used to take photos at enduro events (motorbike, not bicycle) and have also ridden loads of enduros myself where there have been photographers.

I hear what you’re saying but I’ve never known it happen….

bearz
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Ill give them a call.

The flashing (of my camera) and invasion of privacy are my main concerns. I don’t want to go annoying people on their weekly cycle.

The flash will be softened and not directly in their eyes so this should help.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I reckon you’re best off taking some mates along and just photographing them.

Also, how are you going to get to shoot locations? You can’t go plodding along the trails with all your kit!

MartynS

You are technically on private land (forestry commission) so you should in theory seek permission and have public liability insurance.
    If you cause a crash because of your flash you could be liable.

It could be really off putting to be pottering along and all of a sudden have a flash go of and notice a bloke hiding in the bushes.

Its a tough one tbh. Its good you want to practice but you could really cheese some people off.
    What about hooking up with a local mtb club and shooting one of there rides?

bearz
    Free Member

All sounds fair.

Sadly I have no friends in to biking.

Any one know of a club who will be there on Saturday or Sunday?

Lugging gear around isnt a problem. Ive been up a fair few mountains with my gear so I am conditioned. I know the area quite well so I know where to park and walk too.

ampthill

I think you need to see yourself as a service not a a nuisance

Start hanging around at the visitor centre and chat to people. Hand out some cards saying who you are with you phone number and a url where you’ll post the photos (say flickr). Get some maps and say start with Badger. As groups if they’d like some actions shot, if they say yes then ask then to wait a mo while you walk ahead (tip nice shot looking back from first hole in wall back to visitor centre.)

It would be unreasonablle to ask people mid technical sections if they are happy having their photo taken. But if you ask as they enter technical sections from a fire road it should be ok. You might be able to meet the same group a several points during the day. Check the map to see where they’ll loop back near to the visitor centre

continuity
    Free Member

At races you expect it; a bit different from coming round a blind corner whilst on a trail day alone and being whited out, but I get you.

dingabell
    Free Member

A photographer was taking pictures last time we went to Cwmcarn on the downhill run. We didn’t actually find that out untill our first run down when we went round a corner and there was a bloke in an orange jacket a few feet off the track pointing his camera at us. My mate was a tad surprised and stacked it into the bank. If the photo had come out, I’d have payed good money for it. Maybe an alternative would be to find a local race and set yourself up nice and early near a jump or some other interesting feature. You’d be in the spectating area so no surprises for the riders.

scotty38
    Free Member

dingabell – Member

A photographer was taking pictures last time we went to Cwmcarn on the downhill run. We didn’t actually find that out untill our first run down when we went round a corner and there was a bloke in an orange jacket a few feet off the track pointing his camera at us. My mate was a tad surprised and stacked it into the bank.

I’m not trying to be argumentative but come on, you can fly down a hill, reacting to rocks and holes and roots and what have you all in the blink of an eye, yet a bloke in an orange jacket feet away from the track makes you crash….

nikk
    Free Member

Yeh I think an unusual distraction could cause an off reasonably easily. Firing through the woods then getting flashed would not be cool IMHO. Plus flash photography usually looks nasty in any case. Nice idea, but either do it with people who are expecting it, or go to the jump area and practice without a flash on people that are sessioning a jump.

_tom_
    Free Member

Plus flash photography usually looks nasty in any case.

Only if you’re using a camera-mounted flash or poorly set up off camera flashes..

In Whistler the resort photographers usually put a yellow “photo op coming soon” sign a bit before where they’re taking it. Try that maybe?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You will need permission especially wise to do this on a weekend as you don’t want parents calling police about the strange man in the bushes taking pics….

Have a word, get permission, pop a sign in the car park saying where and the web address of where you will upload the pics (ie give people something back)

If not have a look at
    Pearce Cycles DH http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/events
    British DH Series http://www.halobritishdownhillseries.com/
    DH and Enduro Events http://www.rootsandrain.com/calendar/#!/2012/

Contact the race organiser and ask if you need to register head along or try contacting one of the photographers on Roots&Rain to see if you can chat/tag along with to them. Also try the local photography clubs to CyB and the races I have been snapped a few times by them at Pearce and Hamsterly races.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Photography at Coed Y Brenin.’ is closed to new replies.