Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Phone recommendation. Android. Under 300. Good camera. Not too large
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

To save my sanity can anyone recommend a phone for my wife please?

Android
    Under 300 pounds ideally but I’ll go higher if I need to.
    Needs a good camera (I’m not expecting iPhone 7 quality but needs to be pretty good).
    She doesn’t like my One Plus 3 as it’s too big – so something a bit smaller.

Starter for 10 – what about a Sony Xperia X Compact?

eckinspain
    Free Member

just found that the Sony Xperia I suggested was over my budget, so let’s increase the budget to 400 squids.

stumpy01

Bloke at work got a Z3 Compact refurbished for about £150 and is well pleased with it.

Not sure if you are only after something new, though?

RobHilton
    Free Member

just found that the Sony Xperia I suggested was over my budget, so let’s increase the budget to 400 squids.

I don’t think you’ve got the hang of this budgeting idea 😆

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Bought the wife a Motorola Moto X-Play , stunningly good camera and u can order it personalised with different colour cases and metal inlays etc ,around the £250 mark

koldun
    Free Member

One Plus X?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Moto G4 £159?

mikey74
    Free Member

If the G4 has the same camera as the G3 then I’d stay away from it, if a good camera is important. In good lighting, the camera is actually pretty good, but it’s pretty bad in poor lighting conditions.

Flaperon

If she’s after a Z5 Compact my old one is about to go on eBay. £200 posted to you. 🙂

(OnePlus 3 user now…)

transporter13
    Free Member

One plus 3…. Got mine last week after having a note 4 for a few years… Very impressed so far

retrorick

Honor 7. 20mp sony sensor for the camera. 1 yr old tho. Mine is still working fine nearly 14mths in. Maybe £210 when they are on offer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mrs CFH has a Sony XA. ‘Tis rather good

joebristol

I don’t have a suggestion, but I have an avoid if. Ambers is important. Samsung galaxy a3. It fits your budget and is smaller than say an iPhone 6/7 and Samsung S7 – but the camera isn’t good – especially indoors / in low light. It can be a bit slow on the internet too.

Just upgraded mine to an Iphone 6s and it’s so much better.

scotroutes

Samsung A3 6 (new model). Nice size, works well. Camera is good, but not Sony good.

One plus 3

CraigW
    Free Member

Moto G4 Plus is a better camera than the regular G4. You can probably find it for about £180.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Yeh give oneplus a look.. also elephone.. seem to get good reviews and are cheaper than the usual suspects..

oliverracing

I got a new old stock Z1 compact for £170 in august – really chuffed with it, great battery and a really fantastic camera! My dad has a Z3 compact which was almost double the price and not really hugely different!

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

BQ Aquaris x5 plus.

Cheap (ish) but good. Have a look.

downshep

After endless research, ordered a UK spec Z3 with 20Mp camera for £259 this week from Amazon. Still to arrive but reviews suggest a steal at that price.

Just checked and it’s up to £309, which is still pretty good for the spec.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks all. I have a one plus 3 and I’m really happy with it but it’s a bit big for my wife.
    She currently has a Moto G and the camera is not good enough.
    The X Play looks good, also the X Style but not sure it’s released yet.

chorlton
    Free Member

I’ve got the X Play and it’s massive. Excellent camera though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Liking my sony Z5. Z3 before it was nice too until I dropped it onto a vindictive rock.

dragon
    Free Member

Another vote for a Sony. Brilliant phones, just a little fragile if you are a clutz, so if you are then a decent case is a good idea.

downshep

Forget my Z3 from Amazon recommendation above. The Z3 arrived, I went through the setup process and it displayed a ‘data disclaimer’ message stating ‘this device is a prototype’. Further googling suggests it won’t be upgrade-able to a newer android OS, so it is going back. Caveat Emptor!

I also tried the camera back to back with my old Galaxy S3, which comfortably outperformed the Sony in low light. The screen in the Galaxy is better too, albeit that the S3 is 3 1/2 years old and now very slow.

Might get a Galaxy A5 (any fans?) or up the budget to a One +3.

trusty

I’d avoid the Sony X, reviews aren’t great and unlike the Z series it’s not waterproof (if that matters) . Z5 compact instead?

cp

Announcement from OP later today – probably a new phone, worth keeping an eye on.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Flaperon – Im interested in the Z5 compact if you see this, mail in profile.

EDIT- mailed you.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bought the wife a Motorola Moto X-Play

Same here – very pleased with it as the battery life is so good – It’s big but feels smaller because of the shaped back.

My Z3 compact started playing up on the home/back buttons so I just bought a Sony refurbed one with a years warranty from Amazon for £179 and am using the old one to just play media and bbc iplayer stuff – when the buttons finally fail I can use a back button overlay app, which is no good on a normal phone as several things like banking apps don’t like the presence of a screen overlay.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Phone recommendation. Android. Under 300. Good camera. Not too large’ is closed to new replies.