Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Perfectionists
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

14 Things That Drive Perfectionists Up The Wall

Apart from STW Towers missing the chance to only include thirteen, spot on!

Any more?

My rucksack zips all have to line up if. All double zips at the same position, basically.

sharkattack

All my fork arches get wrapped in electrical tape before use. Then I use a blade to trim the front part off so you can’t see it. They will never be packed with mud.

I hate when people fit zip ties then just snip the end off. This leaves a sharp point that you can catch your fingers and clothes on. I grab a blade again and trim the excess right off.

Tyre logos and valves. I deliberately misalign them just to annoy people who notice things like that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Lots of stem spacers (more than 10mm)
    Saddles pushed forwards on setback seatposts
    Logos/stickers on frames/components that “clash”
    Short stems on road bikes
    Brake levers/brifters at bizarre angles
    Drop handlebars turned “upwards”
    >28t or >34t cassettes on Road and MT bikes respectively.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Covering your mtb in tyre offcuts/manky plastic tape/old innertubes in a vain attempt to stop i getting scratched.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saddles pushed forwards on setback seatposts

sirromj

I absolutely refuse to ever attempt to line tyre logos with valves ever again. Once was enough. More hassle than it’s worth. I’d rather be forced to buy an ebike and I hate them.

Northwind

Tyres with logos that aren’t symetrical- printed slightly offset on each side, or not quite equally spaced on the same side.

People who can’t spell simmetrical.

RustySpanner

Grip logos.
    And bar tape, have to get it symmetrical.
    Different length valve stems, obviously.

Slammed stems indicate a weakness of character, usually brought on by chronic hysteria and excessive self abuse.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Slammed stems indicate a weakness of character

with incredible core strength.

RustySpanner

🙂

scaredypants

Other than approximately correct stem alignment and a straight saddle, I’m genuinely not bothered by any of those things. I do point my QRs backwards but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it

Well, OK, I do “tether” long helmet straps, but only to avoid getting whipped across the throat/face whenever I get above 30 mph (oh yeah, DT – that’s on the flat 8) )

I’ve never aligned logos
    I’ve only got one set of hydraulic brakes and the hose is coiled round the bars to keep it in check 😀
    I haven’t bought a full bike for aaages, but I’d leave the plastic cassette saucer if I had one
    Don’t ask me if the bleed plug is on or off – I never look

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My riding pal is a strange one then. His house is Immaculate & everything is absolutely perfect. His name at work is ‘set square desk’ but his tyre logo’s don’t matter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tyre logo’s

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

tjagain

Oh dear – I hope yo lot never see my bikes! absolutely perfect mechanically not a squeek or rattle or any brake rub on any of them – I can’t stand anything less but I have a stack of mismatched headset spacers some upside down. Stem caps always at wonky angles, tyres go on the way they go on – who cares where the logo is. One bike has mismatched grips, all mtbs have old innertubes wrapped around the chainstay. All bikes have reflective sticky tape all over them and the wheel protectors make a great deal of sense on an mtb so they stay – I had a wheel collapse once due to spoke damage from a chain coming off.
    QRs in the correct alignment tho ‘cos that matters mechanically
    Shall I take some photos?

sharkattack

Shall I take some photos?

Yes. Immediately. Put them here now.

ulysse
    Free Member

Please don’t…

tjagain

fortunatly I can’t get my camera to work

oldnpastit

all mtbs have old innertubes wrapped around the chainstay

What exactly is wrong with doing this?

sharkattack

What exactly is wrong with doing this?

Clutch derailleurs exist now?

scaredypants

wonder if I might step in to help, since TJs pics aren’t available:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8XUVGf]P1020155[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

Hicksy
    Free Member

Sweet baby jesus!

jamesoz

Looks great

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#buttplugstemcap

binners

Broadening the issue a bit from cycling related stuff, Mrs Binners loves showing me this. I start having a seizure the moment I set eyes on it….

thetallman
    Free Member

At least the saddle isn’t pushed right forward 😉

scaredypants

At least the saddle isn’t pushed right forward

I’m not an animal!

tjagain

Needs to be in comic sans binners

binners

Oh it’s worse than that TJ. It’s corrupting my favourite typeface

fatboyjon

Assuming it’s not a butt plug, what exactly is the strange fungal growth sprouting from the steerer tube?

jamesoz

It looks like a tennis ball cut to stop accidental braining on the uncut steerer, aside from that I see nothing wrong with it. Clearly a well used bike set up how the rider wants and not an ornament to hang off the back/sit on the roof of a flash car.

twisty

Aligning tyre logo with valve is not hard and the earlier this week it was very useful for finding out what haf caused my puncture, it was a sharp stone that was still in the casing but not pushing through enough to feel from the inside.

I hate squeaking chains. I wish there was a nice way of letting passers by that they are destroying their drivechain by not lubing their chain. Same thing with people riding with their saddle too low, or running while looking at their feet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember fitting some Gore cables to a customers bike. I’d cut the housing so that the Gore logos were all the same way up and none had been cut through. The customer noticed and appreciated the effort.

I was the only mechanic he’d let work on his bike.

I think we’re probably both guilty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I remember fitting some Gore cables to a customers bike. I’d cut the housing so that the Gore logos were all the same way up and none had been cut through. The customer noticed and appreciated the effort.

I was the only mechanic he’d let work on his bike.

My current spanner monkey is some sort of OCD loonbag. If the workshop stapler isn’t exactly in line with the sellotape dispenser, it’s realigned, etc.

Bloody good mechanic, though!

shifter
    Free Member

Had my new kitchen sockets and switches put in yesterday. Electrician had fitted all the screws so the slots were vertical!

IHN

Oh dear – I hope yo lot never see my bikes! absolutely perfect mechanically not a squeek or rattle or any brake rub on any of them – I can’t stand anything less but I have a stack of mismatched headset spacers some upside down. Stem caps always at wonky angles, tyres go on the way they go on – who cares where the logo is. One bike has mismatched grips, all mtbs have old innertubes wrapped around the chainstay. All bikes have reflective sticky tape all over them and the wheel protectors make a great deal of sense on an mtb so they stay – I had a wheel collapse once due to spoke damage from a chain coming off.

Ban him! (again 🙂 )

jairaj

Bloody good mechanic, though!

Not if he’s using staples and sellotape to fix your bike! 😆

Gunz
    Free Member

Had my new kitchen sockets and switches put in yesterday. Electrician had fitted all the screws so the slots were vertical!

I’d avoid using him again, they should obviously all be horizontal.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Tyres,hubs,rims,wheels from different manufacturers on the same bike.
    Components or accessories from another bike manufacturer on another. I can just about let Specialized tyres get a pass.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Perfectionists’ is closed to new replies.