• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Patching tubeless tyres
  • kilo

Nicked the sidewall on a mudwrestler today, Stans sealant, didn’t so i stuck a tube in to get home. Anybody had any success patching tubeless tyres and if so what patches did you use. the cut on this one is not big.

cheers

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 or 3 in my rear tyre, holes just about too big to seal. I’ve just used standard tube patches on the inside of the tyre and they’re holding up fine.

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, used patches before and they work great. Just make sure you lightly sand the surface first

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Or the Park ones that don’t fix with vulcanizing solution!
    Super sticky!
    Thanks,
    Max

zero-cool
    Free Member

Park patches and duct tact have kept a few of mine going.

bullroar
    Free Member

Cut a large patch from an old tube or tyre sidewall and stick on with superglue.

tthew

Coincidentally I’ve just this minute finished putting a standard patch on my back tyre, which has worked OK in the past and appears to this time.

The biggest problem was getting it re-inflated. The bead’s gone a bit loose and so getting it started is a right arseache.

househusband

Is the hole too big to use a sticky string repair?

I’ve had greater success with these than patches as they actually plug the hole rather than just cover on the inside.

nach
    Free Member

I’ve used large moto patches (like regular vulcanising patches but much bigger) and bits of old inner tube. I usually put a few stitches over the cut with dental floss before patching it inside and out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can get specific tubeless patches – non stretch and need a special blue glue. Work even on road tyres!

lornholio
    Free Member

Standard Rema patches. I used to use normal vulanising solution with no problems. Now Rema “Special Cement” which works fine too. Urethane glue over the top of the patch (Evo Stik Serious Glue) or more vulcanising solution. Urethane glue on the outside of the tire or flexible super glue (Gorilla brand).

I do 2 or 3 repairs per year like this and have never had one fail. Second ride on a new Nobby Nic recently I got a nail clean through the tyre somehow, in one side and out the other. Fixed that night, no problems since.

itsmygame
    Free Member

I had to patch a mud wrestler a couple of weeks ago. Used a standard non glue tube patch. Worked a treat. Still in the back of my mind though every time I take it out.

NewRetroTom

Just use anchovies strings. That way you don’t even need to remove the tyre. Quicker than changing a tube and you don’t have to worry about re-seating the bead.

Can’t understand why you’d do anything else.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve never had any luck with the anchovies, is there a special knack to it?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve never had any luck with the anchovies, is there a special knack to it?

Be prepared to enlarge the hole & really stuff them in doubled over. You can get them off ebay in multi-packs much cheaper than in repair kits.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I haven’t been able to get anything to make an airtight patch on a Maxxis LUST tyre – even the special tubeless patches and glue. The inside of those things is like Teflon, and if you roughen it up it’s not airtight anymore. I’ve ended up chucking the tyre if it gets a puncture, tho luckily I’ve only had two punctures in three years.

NewRetroTom

No knack to the anchovies as far as I’m aware.

Thread/squeeze the anchovy it onto the tool, jab it into the hole (enlarge hole with knurled spike tool if necessary). Pull tool back out, use sharp blade to trim so there is about 5mm sticking out of the tyre, re-inflate tyre and you’re good to go.

I bought the kit I linked above to get the tools then when I’d used up the strings I got about 50 on ebay for a fiver. They were a bit too thick so I used a sharp knife to split them down to size, this also means that I have a range of sizes for different sized holes.

The fact you can fix the puncture without even removing your wheel or tyre is a massive win in my opinion.

johnny

I’ve used the anchovies a lot, they are great. Also, ive rescued some big slashes in sidewalls from flints- Stitch the hole up with fishing line or dental floss, then superglue a big patch of sidewall over the hole and stitch that on too. i’ll post a photo of one ive done when i get home.

This can rescue a tyre with a 1-11/2″ slash in the sidewall, and no deformation of the carcass, even blown up to 40psi!

robcolliver
    Free Member

an anchovie-alike kit got me back on the trail inside two minutes during my SDWx4 a couple of weeks back.

nach
    Free Member

Oh yeah, anchovies are great. Not always up to the task with sidewall tears though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Patching tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.