Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Parmo
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never heard of this delicacy until I was on a course with a load of Geordie NDT techs this week. They were raving about it, is it as good as they say?….

Drac

It’s a Teeside delicacy it’s a bit like Hunters chicken.

maccruiskeen

I was gleefully informed by a vendor – “It looks like sick but its delicious”

PiknMix
    Free Member

so wrong but so right, I was introduced to a parmo and a lemon top in the same day, it was a hell of a good day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s a lemon top ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ice cream with a … lemon topping …

dannyh
    Free Member

Yeeeeesss. Someone else has heard of it.

The smoggies won’t be happy that you’ve been introduced to it by Geordies, though.

One ‘review’ I read in the guardian made me guffaw out loud when it described the accompanying salad as ” the most sarcastic portion of salad I have ever received”!

slowoldman

Here is that article
    Parmo

dannyh
    Free Member

The ‘Meat Feast Parmo’ I ordered for £6.50 consisted of a chicken escalope marginally smaller than a satellite dish, deep fried in breadcrumbs, covered in béchamel sauce and melted cheddar cheese, and then topped with pepperoni, bacon, more cheese, and ladles of creamy garlic sauce. The one bit of protein the parmo does not seem to contain is parmesan.
    This extraordinary beast of a late-night ‘snack’ is served with a mountain of chips and the most sarcastic portion of salad you’ve ever seen in your life. As you can see, it filled the 12″ pizza box it was served in. I ate a third of it with gusto, paused, came up for air, and suddenly felt quite ill. But I’d buy one again in a shot, however many placards my colon might wave in protest at this idea.

I’d rather eat that than some ‘work of art on a plate’ that has been arranged by some borderline psychopath with tweezers and beads of sweat dripping off his coke-addled nose. Much rather.

cranberry
    Free Member
    wombat

Parmos are absolutely brilliant.

They’re the second best discovery I made whilst living on Teesside (1st best was Mrs Wombat) 8)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Parmo’s…Oh my God. Best thing to come out of Teeside. Apart from the A177.*

Chicago’s in Stockton FTW maybe?

*& Chris Rea obs.

duckers
    Free Member

Chicago’s in Stockton – ha ha ha ha, Doubled over thinking of the flack they used to get on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night!!

First parmo shop I remember was “Steve’s parmesan house” in Stockton in 1994 (over the road from chicagos).. those were the days, that flashback brings back memories of far more than parmos 🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You cant beat a nice parmo hotshot. The perfect way to refuel if you need to take on a couple of thousand calories 😆

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Nah – the ones from Bitz n Pizza in Whitby are just nasty. Or perhaps that is just when the goths are in town.

The ones I have had in Oz were actually rather tasty….

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Pizza Station in Saltburn is the place to go.

bikebouy
    Free Member

And Pacittos on Redcar sea front for your Lemon Tops..

cranberry
    Free Member

Pacitto’s lemon top 99 – heaven as a kid, haven’t had one for ages.

bikebouy
    Free Member

cranberry
    Free Member

Someone’s nicked your flake.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’s a long time since Ive had a lemon top. I can remember it well because after buying it I turned away from the serving hatch and the lemon bit fell off and landed in someone’s handbag 😳

kayla1
    Free Member

Parmo! Imagine a really nice pizza, but instead of the bread base it’s really good crumbed chicken breast… add your pizza topping of choice and, well, ’nuff said. It’s a rare treat at Chez Nous but when we do have it my OH cooks it himself. Awesome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

See also- Chicken Parm in Melbourne.

Drac

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The weird thing is you can go into a posh* restaurant and order a “Chicken Parmesan”, it’s like going into Pizza Express** and odreing a Donner Kebab***.

*relative, it’s still Middlebrough

**Still posher than anything in Middlebrough

***I bloody love a kebab

maccruiskeen

Breakfast of Champions, Drac. 🙂

I didn’t have you down as the sort of guy who instagram’s their meals

Drac

Hahaha!

I don’t like them they’re bloody awful.

And no I don’t instagram my food I Tweet it.

involver
    Free Member

Wikipedia

In 2007, North Yorkshire Trading Standards conducted a survey of 25 fast food dishes. A large parmo with chips and salad they tested contained about 2600 calories and 150g of fat.

🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheese overload, I think even I would struggle with that. Sober.

deepreddave
    Free Member

^^^^^ Drac’s picture looks cracking! Blooming hungry now.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

In 2007, North Yorkshire Trading Standards conducted a survey of 25 fast food dishes. A large parmo with chips and salad they tested contained about 2600 calories and 150g of fat.

That’s why you need to get a parmo hotshot. The extra pepperoni ups the calories to an acceptable level. 😆

Moses

Drac n’ Essel – it’s TeeSSide with 2 esses, please.

To my shame, I’ve never had a Parmo, as I left Stockton in the 70s before they were invented. One day, perhaps. This thread is making me hungry.

Drac

Ooops! I knew that.

slowoldman

There are all sorts of “delicacies” we enjoy when leathered. That doesn’t make them good food. But then, so what?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Parmo’ is closed to new replies.