Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Parking – Pontsticill area for Gap
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Planning on a Brecon Gap ride with a few colleagues.

Based on where we are all travelling from, starting the loop at Pontsticill seems like the best bet, but looking for some advice regarding places to park 3-4 cars.

Somewhere by the dam would suit best – trundle out along the road to Talybont, and back past the Brecon Mountain Rly / sailing club after coming down the Dolygaer descent…

I know there are the car parks on the west side of the reservoir – but
    IIRC, a few years ago there were a spate of break in at those CPs.

Alternatively, How do Brecon Mountain Rly view mtbers using their car park?

saxabar
    Free Member

Have you considered starting from the cafe at Pentwyn? More space there, better cafe and close to your original starting point.

krag
    Free Member

The car park on the west side of the reservoir (opposite side to the merthyr sailing club) is fine and if it’s a weekend there’s usually an ice cream van in there all day and tourists back n fore so you should be alright.

I park in the mountain railyway car park if I’m going over to the quarries opposite and never had any problems, YMMV.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ice cream van car park looks favourite in terms of location 😀

Pentwyn cafe – quite like the little track alongside the BMR… Don’t like the short steep road climb away from the cafe car park

Ta.

rkk01
    Free Member

… and, more importantly…

…best food, ale and mtb friendly venue in Talybont?

The one at the foot of the Brinore climb always looks tempting, but have heard that it’s not the most mtb friendly???

saxabar
    Free Member

Really? I guess if blathered and it’s not raining, then sit out around the back next to the canal. I was going to mention this as a starting point. Best place I reckon.

rkk01
    Free Member

Talybont doesn’t suit as a start / finish – we’ll be travelling up from Cardiff / The Valleys. Merthyr area makes more sense

stuartkendall
    Free Member

North Merthyr is your best bet. Just along the road from Pontstic reservoir. Outside the pub YPCI – y pant Cad Ifor. Easy to find and barely half hr from Cardiff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Parking – Pontsticill area for Gap’ is closed to new replies.