Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Outdoor home cinema……..
  • harrytoo
    Free Member

Whilst buying this years must have lights on Gearbest I impulse bought me one of the cheap projectors with the intention of building myself an outdoor cinema for a bit of a laugh. For $80 its worth a shout,especially as the reviews seem to say its of a watchable quality.

I am not expecting full HD with surround sound, just something a bit different (Plus I can rig it up in the garage for Sufferfest / Trainer road sessions). With the rugby on its way I cant think of a better way to watch it than outdoors with a few mates, beers in the beer fridge and chiminea burning.

So, has anyone tried one yet?

What did you use for screen material (don’t want to spend more on the screen than the projector?

Sound is meant to be pretty duff, so any cheap suggestions,otherwise its an old stereo from the tip shop with the required inputs.

Powers not an issue as I have a dual outdoor socket where in needs to be. Was either going to run the projector from a laptop or my now TV box.

Pics of your set up would be great……

rene59
    Free Member

What did you use for screen material (don’t want to spend more on the screen than the projector?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30290545/

I’m not joking!

Sound is meant to be pretty duff, so any cheap suggestions

Pick up a cheap FM transmitter from ebay and tune in on anything you have available. You can use multiple devices or even headphones (get your mates to bring their own little portable speakers).

No pics sorry but I have run a setup like this lots of times with great success.

lightman
    Free Member

For $80 you aren’t going to get something bright enough for daylight hours, but it should be fine if you want to watch stuff when its dark/darker.
    I think you need at least 2500 lumens to watch stuff in the home during daytime, I would imagine you would need a hell of a lot more outside.

I have this impressive wee guy.
    I bought it to watch movies in a dark room with a 100″ screen and it is perfect for that. It could definitely be used for a larger screen, but it’ll get more washed out the bigger you go.
    I have used it on a friends wall which gave it around an 8 foot across screen and it was pretty awesome.
    For sound, I just use the head phone jack and connect up some 2.1 computer speakers, which gives plenty of sound.

At the moment, I am actually using it as my TV, because my actual TV broke!
    I have it connected up to my Virgin box with HDMI, and while I can watch it during the day, it just isn’t powerful enough for a really clear picture with the 40″ size I have it projected at, but at night its fine.

You can buy 100-120″ screens from ebay for around £60, less if you are happy with just wall mounted ones.

I am thinking of getting a similar $80 one like yours to possibly use as my TV, so I will watch this thread to see how you get one with yours 🙂

slowoldman

I trust you either have no neighbours or you are inviting them round to join in?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

All sounds a bit Chavtastic to me. Unless of course you live a long way from anyone else.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Awesome tip on the screen, will be off to Dunelm later to pick something up.

Pick up a cheap FM transmitter from ebay and tune in on anything you have available

Good plan, got a couple of portable radios kicking about that I could use.

For $80 you aren’t going to get something bright enough for daylight hours

Acknowledged, plan would be to use once dark or in my dark garage.

I am thinking of getting a similar $80 one like yours to possibly use as my TV, so I will watch this thread to see how you get one with yours

Will update when it arrives. I’m not after or expecting too much to be honest but the reviews seem okies.

harrytoo
    Free Member

All sounds a bit Chavtastic to me

Thanks for your constructive input……

Unless of course you live a long way from anyone else

We do have neighbours but we would ensure that the aren’t disturbed.

Just be nice to have people round while the rugby is on, or throw on a Disney movie in the evening with the kids under the stars. Obviously terribly chavvy.

lightman
    Free Member

Any update?

sharkbait
    Free Member

That little projector looks great lightman – how long does the battery last without charging and how far back does the projector need to be from the screen for an 8′ image?

lightman
    Free Member

It is great and would highly recommend it, you can also get the same one with WiFi for not much more, if you needed it.
    Ive not emptied the battery yet as I usually run it from the mains, but I just did a wee test and it was still going after 3hrs before I plugged it back in. The Low Battery warning came up before I switched it back to the mains.

The projection is nearly 1:1, as I now have a 100″ projector screen in my living room, its about 8 feet away and it fills it perfectly.
    It is probably powerful enough to project onto a 200″ screen if you wanted!

You can use small battery packs to run it if you need a bit extra runtime without using the mains.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one …… cheeers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Outdoor home cinema……..’ is closed to new replies.